The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I love and admire the work put into this by Omni, but I do feel like this list suffers from not being an official list. Apart from the good layouts and hard work behind it, it feels kind of unstructured, fluffy and rushed...

Maybe if had waited until everybody was ready to accept this as the next official mofo list,then we could've had more of the forum discussing rules, genres, movies, whatever, and we might have had a better and tighter list on our hands... maybe we found out a top 50 was the best to do; maybe we found a rule that could help us determine action movies; and so on...

Obviously, we are already going now and I think it's best to just go with it as it is by now.

Kind of a meh set for me. I hated V for Vendetta (Though I watched it like ten years ago and don't remember the specifics of why). I liked Independene Day but it's not a favorite. Same with Die Hard With a Vengeance, though I've been meaning to rewatch it for awhile now. Haven't seen Goldfinger or Starship Troopers.

I never have gotten this "official" ranking.....if its on the Forum, its as official as any other countdown (if done within the rules, like this one). Isnt it?

I never have gotten this "official" ranking.....if its on the Forum, its as official as any other countdown (if done within the rules, like this one). Isnt it?
AFAIK, whether it actually becomes official has yet to be determined. If Yoda ends up putting it in the Lists section where you can check off what you've seen, it's official. If he doesn't, it's unofficial.

But there is an established process for determining what official list is next and who will host it that (out of ignorance) Omni didn't follow, which is why people are calling it unofficial right now.

I can only answer that question from my own viewpoint and experience.

All of the 'official' countdowns were done by group consensus and had input from all of us...and the timing of the official countdowns were made to 'fit' with other existing countdowns, so that one countdown didn't impede another.

Omni didn't do that, so he meet with some resistances. I initially complained about it, and as a result I choose not to send in a voting list, as I felt it was like crossing a picket line. I noticed Cricket didn't send a list either and I believe it was for the same reason.

BUT now that this is up and running, I'm trying to be positive about it, and I think Omni is doing OK with the way he's doing the list. I think it's best to forget the initial controversy and try to make the best of it, for the good of MoFo.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
75. Starship Troopers Solid choice, nr. 30 on my list. Inventive designs on the bugs and impressive battle scenes.
74. Die Hard with a Vengeance My 2nd favourite Die Hard, not on my list cause I don't do more than one entry from a franchise.
73. Goldfinger Yeah, not one of my favourite Bonds, even among the Connory Bond movies. That smack on the ass and comment of "man talk" really threw me the first time. Beside that, Goldfinger's plan is just stupid.
72. Independence Day Emmerich's best as far I know, solid action scenes and cool one liners. Smith and Goldbloom carries the movie, with a little help from Judd Hirsch's character. Stay away from the sequel though.
71. V for Vendetta Love this movie, though more for the story and the actors than the action scenes. Specially love Hugo Weaving as V, he lends a whimsy to the role that, though it existed in the graphic novel, took a more prominent role. Moore's work's still superior though, and they cut two of my faourite parts from the book: one where V accuses a proxy of Lady Justice of cheating on him with the fascist goverment, and another wherin a former concentration camp leader gets rendered catatonic after witnessing his precious dollcollection getting burned in a furnace in a recration of his actions at said camp. As far as it holding a place on a action top 100...maybe not.

seen 24/30

Honorable mentiones: 14/18

My list so far:
7. Mad Max (#99)
11. Goldfinger (#73)
13. Alien (H.M.)
23. Taken (#91)
24. GoldenEye (H.M.)

I also like V for Vendetta, but I didn't really think of it for this action film countdown.

Welcome to the human race...
Clearly many members who voted do not understand the definition of an action film. Westerns are westerns, hence why they are called westerns, of the genre called "westerns", so they are null and void. Arty anime is out too. And how the hell is Assault on Precinct 13 in the 90's? This list is an abomination!
Yet you don't complain about sci-fi films making the list even though they should technically be subject to the same logic you offer about Westerns (and it's not like you offer a compelling argument against anime either). At least most of these choices can actually have an argument be made for their inclusion - the only one that really makes me go "seriously?" so far would be Once Upon a Time in the West, and that's less to do with it being a Western and more to do with not being a particularly action-packed one.

Well at least I know Watchmen will make the cut if V for Vendetta did. I dont really consider either an action movie, but they are. Its hard to categorize an Alan Moore story, he makes a special point not to do it how its been done before.
I wouldn't count on Watchmen making an appearance. It doesn't have the same fanbase that V for Vendetta does.

There is no way Goldeneye is the second best Bond.
There is no way Goldfinger is the best, yet here we are.

I wouldn't count on Watchmen making an appearance. It doesn't have the same fanbase that V for Vendetta does.

how the hell is Assault on Precinct 13 in the 90's?
Oops. Will fix that.

there is an established process for determining what official list is next and who will host it that (out of ignorance) Omni didn't follow,
I'd have to have not known about the process to be ignorant about it.

Originally Posted by Clazor
Moore's work's still superior though, and they cut two of my faourite parts from the book: one where V accuses a proxy of Lady Justice of cheating on him with the fascist goverment, and another wherin a former concentration camp leader gets rendered catatonic after witnessing his precious dollcollection getting burned in a furnace in a recration of his actions at said camp.
Those sound interesting.

I thought you didn't know about it. I stand corrected.

Omni knew about the established process but ignored it and did his/her (which pronoun do you prefer, btw?) own damn thing anyway. To hell with tradition and protocol.

Better?

Omni knew about the established process but ignored it and did his/her (which pronoun do you prefer, btw?) own damn thing anyway. To hell with tradition and protocol.

Better?
Yes, very.

Better?
I think she likes you, Omni.

I want to say something about the countdown I think we may have been a bit hard on Omni and I for know allot if time and lists were put into his countdown. I had issues with some things with the countdown speed and what movies seemed a bit too sci fi for an Action countdown but sci fi and action go hand and hand.

I think we need to make take a breather and admit we as the ones who sent list should know what should be on our own action movie lists and not blame things like didnt understand rules and what an action movie is.

I think instead if complain we should thank Omni for his time and be nicer the rest of the way. But my guess is new films will be posted and we will start debating and have more issues with the countdown then needs too be.