Filmmakers That Haven't Yet Switched to DV

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I'm wondering which modern filmmakers are still shooting on film rather than digital. A friend made a comment that the majority of interesting filmmakers have already made the switch to Digital Video, and while this is a highly dubious comment, I'm interested in compiling a list of filmmakers who shoot on film, for whatever various reasons.

If people could post filmmakers that haven't made the switch and then I'll compile them here, I think it'd be an interesting list to look at.

Obvious ones: Tarantino, PTA, Nolan.

I recommend the doc Side by Side if you have not yet seen it, bluedeed.

I think Miyazaki's last two films (in 2008 and 2013) have been made using entirely traditional methods, after making Spirited Away and Howls using digital methods.
I'd like to see a return to traditional cel animation. Digital methods seem to have sucked the life out of many but the most ambitious projects.

I have to return some videotapes...
I'd like to see a return to traditional cel animation. Digital methods seem to have sucked the life out of many but the most ambitious projects.
I'm pretty sure they did that with Princess and the Frog at Disney and it ended up being a total flop so the medium died completely, also David O. Russell shoots exclusively on film.

I'm pretty sure they did that with Princess and the Frog at Disney and it ended up being a total flop so the medium died completely,
O_O

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The film went on to gross $104,400,899 (in the United States and Canada) and $267,045,765 (worldwide), making it a box office success, and became the fifth highest grossing animated film of 2009.
The film received largely positive reviews from critics, praising the animation, characters, music and themes.
Some film critics and pundits regard The Princess and the Frog as a turning point for Walt Disney Animation Studios, and to have ignited the "Disney Neo-Renaissance", playing a crucial role in the studio's subsequent string of acclaimed animated films.

I think Star Wars 7 was done on film tbh. Doesn't mean Abrams is film only though.

I was going to say Nolan as well as others have said ^^ ... Nolan is a noted hater of digital.
Agree with Swan as well ^^ Side By Side is a decent documentary. Give it a go.

Funnily enough in Side By Side he talks about how bad digital is.

He says it may be a good thing you can see your shots immediately on a little screen, and reshoot if needed, but he says digital, in his own words, "simply isn't good enough" to go on a big screen and is suited for amateur only filmmaking.
He swears by film and absolutely hates using digital.

He says it may be a good thing you can see your shots immediately on a little screen, and reshoot if needed, but he says digital, in his own words, "simply isn't good enough" to go on a big screen and is suited for amateur only filmmaking.
Damn, that's writing off a HELL of a lot of professional filmmakers out there. Why isn't it "good enough"?

sometimes what people will do is strap a ****** digital camera above the real film camera. that way they can still see what was captured immediately.

Wow ok, I was wrong I guess. Thanks for the info man.
Even if Princess and the Frog did flop harder than Will Ferrel's Land of the Lost I doubt it would warrant saying "the medium died completely".

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Funnily enough in Side By Side he talks about how bad digital is.

He swears by film and absolutely hates using digital.
Ah Nolan being Nolan. It has actually been common practice in Hollywood since Jerry Lewis did it for 1960s The Bellboy (a masterpiece, by the way), to use a DV camera beneath the film camera in order to see the shots immediately. This allows you to catch larger things while the finer details may be redone only after seeing the dailies the following morning. This is a strange point for Nolan to make, considering this. Also, "simply isn't good enough," is about as pretentious a response as it gets as to why he prefers film to digital.