Eraserhead Opinions

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I adore Inland Empire. I almost wouldn't mind if he never made another film, because that one is just such a fantastic tribute to his career. It plays out like a greatest hits album.

Blue Velvet narrowly eclipses Mulholland Drive as my favorite Lynch film, but they trade places occasionally. To me, it just barely beats out the latter film as the fullest representation of the whole 'juxtaposition of beauty and darkness' thing I mentioned. I also think it's the definitive portrayal of good vs. evil on screen- internally for Kyle MacLachlan's character, as well as in his battle with Dennis Hopper, who gives perhaps the greatest performance in any David Lynch film.
I agree, Inland Empire is his most abstract in a while and also his most atmospheric. The tag line for it is "A woman in trouble," and that simple phrase describes the film perfectly and a lot of his career as well. It's a mesmerizing film.

Has anybody seen "Rabbits"? One of his short films, some of which was in Inland Empire.

I agree, Inland Empire is his most abstract in a while and also his most atmospheric. The tag line for it is "A woman in trouble," and that simple phrase describes the film perfectly and a lot of his career as well. It's a mesmerizing film.

Has anybody seen "Rabbits"? One of his short films, some of which was in Inland Empire.
I've seen Rabbits. It's hard to hold an opinion on that one. It is what it is. It does have a pretty uneasy atmosphere despite the apparent innocence of a bunch of talking rabbits, which I suppose is what it set out to do.

I adore Inland Empire. I almost wouldn't mind if he never made another film, because that one is just such a fantastic tribute to his career. It plays out like a greatest hits album.

Blue Velvet narrowly eclipses Mulholland Drive as my favorite Lynch film, but they trade places occasionally. To me, it just barely beats out the latter film as the fullest representation of the whole 'juxtaposition of beauty and darkness' thing I mentioned. I also think it's the definitive portrayal of good vs. evil on screen- internally for Kyle MacLachlan's character, as well as in his battle with Dennis Hopper, who gives perhaps the greatest performance in any David Lynch film.
Point well taken, regarding Blue Velvet. I'd have to agree that it's the most conscious of his films in juxtaposing elements to draw out its theme of hidden danger and ugliness in the most mundane-seeming setting. And Hopper's performance is one of the greats. Very nasty character.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

The most loathsome of all goblins
Incidentally, if you like discussions like this--even when combative--it's a pretty good indication that you'll like it here in general. And if not, not.
It has a very RT-GDish vibe, if perhaps a bit slower moving. Do you have cliques here? God I hope not.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

Ah yes, I spent a fair bit of time on RT back in the day; not GD though. And yeah, the cliques were a problem. We are, as you noted, not as huge. Which does make it a bit slower, but also stems the kind of fragmentation you're talking about. So yay for that.

Hope you enjoy it here.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I've seen Rabbits. It's hard to hold an opinion on that one. It is what it is. It does have a pretty uneasy atmosphere despite the apparent innocence of a bunch of talking rabbits, which I suppose is what it set out to do.
It is a very concerning atmosphere. I found myself alternating between laughing hysterically at it (all of the laugh tracking hilariously poked fun at sitcoms. His laugh track made fun of unfunny laugh tracks, therefore making it funny. Woah!), and being concerned. It was a strange kind of feeling that I could only expect of Lynch. I did really like his blurred cuts though, where he blurs the screen and makes a whooshing sound you hear in your ear when you close your eyes tightly, an interesting way to cut I think.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
oh shiiiiiiiii

i remember that clip of Rabbits from Inland Empire. i forgot about that. i think i blocked it out.

Ah yes, I spent a fair bit of time on RT back in the day; not GD though. And yeah, the cliques were a problem. We are, as you noted, not as huge. Which does make it a bit slower, but also stems the kind of fragmentation you're talking about. So yay for that.
I posted on GD regularly for six years, but finally got sick of the cliques and the influx of teenage posters during the summer months.
Hope you enjoy it here.
Thanks, so do I.
It does feel like a greatest hits album, except that it has many parts that seem to channel his lesser work. There's way too much Wild at Heart-ishness in Inland Empire, and by that I mean ridiculous self-indulgence and campiness.

Hey, I love Wild at Heart
It's not terrible per se, it's just so over-the-top and silly, and not in a hilarious Twin Peaks way. It's kind of an awkward movie, and I can't help feeling embarrassed just by watching it.

Anyway, I read once that during the filming of Inland Empire, everyone worked with an unfinished script. This was because Lynch was writing as he went along, improvising and basing scenes on whatever dream he had the night before. I certainly don't love the film, but as a David Lynch fan I do find it a pretty interesting look into his subconscious.

Hmm... it might not do well in the Greatest Films Tourney, then...

I'd argue that Wild at Heart is Lynch's most fun and entertaining film. I see it as a self-parody; there's no way he really wants the audience to take everything seriously. It's actually very funny, but for a director of Lynch's caliber I'm sure that's all intentional. Like you said, it's totally over-the-top and excessive, but that's one of the things I love about it.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Just saw Eraserhead today for the first time. I did not like it that much. It's very atmospheric and without a doubt very unnerving but i don't know, this is not as good as say Blue Velvet or Mulholland Dr. I would never watch it again, it was a chore to get through honestly.

On the outside looking in.
I love ERASERHEAD -- like much of Lynch's work, it's disturbing and howlingly funny! Lifelong Lynch fans will see elements of ERASERHEAD in all his later movies; this is where it all began. **** / ****

Just saw Eraserhead today for the first time. I did not like it that much. It's very atmospheric and without a doubt very unnerving but i don't know, this is not as good as say Blue Velvet or Mulholland Dr. I would never watch it again, it was a chore to get through honestly.
I felt the same way. I understand why most people appreciate its ugliness, but I personally found nothing to like. I would give it 2 stars for its atmosphere though. Anyway, Lynch made a masterpiece 24 years later, so it's all good.

On the outside looking in.
I felt the same way. I understand why most people appreciate its ugliness, but I personally found nothing to like. I would give it 2 stars for its atmosphere though. Anyway, Lynch made a masterpiece 24 years later, so it's all good.

He's made at least four, including ERASERHEAD, and was responsible for a pretty amazing tv show as well.

i also think it's fair to say that literature wouldn't ever be considered great if it was a choose-your-own adventure, because the only thing that makes literature great is how it's written; whereas, with movies, it's not just about a storyline. so it's kind of an unfair analogy
Indeed. Eraserhead is something that could only work as a film. A novel wouldn't be nearly as good.