Earliest Movies About Drug Addiction?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Preminger's movie was exceedingly daring for 1955. In fact they evidently had trouble getting a seal from MPAA. Showing what a drug addict went through while kicking heroin was not seen before in that era.

I remember the film vividly from the theater. My baby sitter (a guy) took me to see it when at the time I was 11 years old! Obviously I didn't understand all of it, but I got the idea, and knew the performances were good. The film was certainly ground breaking for its time. I've seen it several times since, and I understood it much better...

Interesting story.. Was he a good babysitter?

Interesting story.. Was he a good babysitter?
Heh, heh. He was, although he wasn't much more than a juvenile delinquent himself. He was pretty broad minded though, and soon I had broads on my mind as well...

Reefer Madness. That movie is a little notorious for over-exaggerating things. But then again it was 1936, different times. There are a few more, I will post when I recall them.
Reefer Madness, as well as its companion Sex Madness pretty much define the exploitation/expose genre of that era and seem downright ludicrous today. That said, when I was a kid, I recall being warned by old folks about the dangers of pot in words not unlike the plot of Reefer Madness. As a kid, I was told to not pick up and smoke cigarette butts I find on the sidewalk (like I would actually DO that?) because they might be spiked with pot and then I'd be an addict.

With that sort of paranoia rampant, I guess Reefer Madness must have hit some sort of nerve in the culture of that time.....not to mention jazz musicians.

Some say that the story of DR Jekyll and Mr Hyde is a story about addiction 1931
Yeah, it seems to be some sort of allegorical warning.

Reefer Madness. That movie is a little notorious for over-exaggerating things. But then again it was 1936, different times. There are a few more, I will post when I recall them.

I have not seen a reference to Reefer madness the Musical. It is dark humor and has a little bit to offend just about everybody Not old, but a take on the original which has already been mentioned .