Movies You Saw in Film Class?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
College, high school, whatever. But an actual film class.

I'm interested in comparing (what else is new?) between all the different film schools. If you can give an approximation of the location without giving up your identity, that would be cool.

I remember the teacher very well. Old guy, white hair, still remember his face, but oddly, not his name, despite having a great memory. On Tuesday, we would watch the movie, and then as we left, he'd give us reading assignments, which I always avoided, but we'd have a discussion on Thursday. I kinda wish I could do it all over again since I wasn't very experienced at 18. There are a few of those movies I wanted to re-watch, but they were pretty straight-forward.

-The Searchers
-Double Indemnity
-Taxi Driver
-Blade Runner (I actually fell asleep, and woke up at near the end)
-The Crying Game

We might have also seen "The Maltese Falcon", but I'm not sure. I don't remember any foreign movies, which is too bad. We also had a non-required "new" movie, "The Matrix", which I had already seen, so I didn't go. It was an ok movie. CGI does nothing for me; I was more interested in the psychological stuff.

I know there were more, but I just can't think of them right now. Maybe someone here will name them.

Breathless
Three Colors Blue
Dr Caligari
Taxi Driver

Those are the ones I can remember right now... then there was also something we watched in film class but more just to be exposed to some classics or whatever that could give us a perspective - we didn’t discuss or analyze these after:

Apocalypse Now
Citizen Kane
Mommy
The Shining

In high school I took a film noir class. Sometimes we just watched the film and wrote about it, but most of the time we would read a text and then compare it to the film adaptation.

We definitely did The Maltese Falcon, The Grifters, and Out of Sight. I know that I read The Big Sleep, but don't remember if we watched the movie.

I know that we also watched Out of the Past and The Last Seduction.

I went to art school and the films I remember seeing there were
Metropolis (1927)
The Andalusian Dog (1929)
Rear Window (1954)

I know there were others, but I can't remember them off hand.

I also took a class as part of my university studies in "Detective Fiction" and there we watched a lot of Noir movies like:
The Big Sleep
The Maltese Falcon

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I went to a filmmaking school, and they us 3:

Children of Men
Winter's Bone
Limitless

Kind of odd choices for a film school though I thought.

Just from my film class in high school, I remember having to watch ...

Citizen Kane
Logan's Run
The Castle
Blade Runner

... and not really liking any of them.

You had a film class in high school ? Damn! Wish we did in your high schools.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
None. Never been in a film school. We did watch Ashes and Diamonds in high school, tho.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

In my film school, I don't think the 3 movies we watched, Children of Men, Winter's Bond, and Limitless, were the best choices to watch and feel there are much better movies out there to watch, but of course it's just personal taste . I just didn't find any of those movies mindblowing at all.

I went to a filmmaking school, and they us 3:

Children of Men
Winter's Bone
Limitless

Kind of odd choices for a film school though I thought.
I think it’s not particularly odd, you have to be aware of the contemporary market and what works and what doesn’t. ‘Children of Men’ in particular seems to be held in high esteem by critics, for what it’s worth.

Children of Men and Winter's Bone are both pretty good movies, where as Limitless was a good popcorn movie. I just didn't think they were anywhere near the best films of all time for me, and just didn't really grip me. But still good.

Never done film school.

I remember when I was in high school our religion teacher showed us The Truman Show and Dead Man Walking though. They were related to religious topics we were discussing at the time.

Never went to a school that had a film program, but at college one of my English professors was a film buff and crammed in a class here and there. The first was just a winter break mini course that was called something like "Cinema and the American Dream". I believe there were five films that we watched in a lecture hall with a couple papers. I can only remember four of the five, but maybe the fifth will come to me? For sure it was The Best Years of Our Lives (1946), Executive Suite (1954), They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969), and Nashville (1975).

I stopped a handful of credits short of graduating then returned some seven years later to finish my undergraduate degree. When I returned that professor was still in the English department (I is an English major) and I was able to take a senior level survey class he had devoted to Hitchcock, Kubrick, and Scorsese. I became his unofficial teaching assistant and brought my Laser Disc player into school each class plus a pile of movies. This was only a couple years into DVDs and a lot of older, classic titles still were not yet on the format. But my personal LD library was overflowing, especially for those three filmmakers. This was a full credit class but there was not enough classroom time to sit and actually watch whole movies. I would bring my discs so we could easily watch scenes. We watched pieces of most of the major films from those three filmmakers. At the time Eyes Wide Shut had just come out in the cinemas and my final paper was a comparison between the nightmare NYC odysseys of Eyes Wide Shut and After Hours. No, I have no idea where that paper is now.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Some that I remember
The General-Buster Keaton
Thin Blue Line
His Girl Friday
All that jazz
Goodfellas
Days of Heaven Malick
Citizen Kane
The Scarlet Empress
The Bicycle Thief
Breathless
Rear Window
Casablanca
it's a Wonderful Life
A Night to Remember
Great Train Robbery
M
Battleship Potempkin
Olympia
Triumph of the Will
The Conversation

This is what I remember. I went to a small private arts college. The head of the program was interested in teaching students how to break into American film We did not cover that much non US films. I only took two classes. Film History and Film elements.

I never took a film class, but I do remember being shown Alfred Hitchcock's I]Spellbound[/i] in my 11th grade psychology class. The head of our drama department also showed us Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf because he wanted us to see a sample of "great acting."

Of those I remember.

Orlando
Vagabond (Sans toit ni loi)
Psycho
Shadow Of A Doubt
Slackers
A Taste Of Honey (I think. It's a little tricky with some to remember which we watched all of and which we just saw clips of to illustrate points)
Saturday Night Sunday Morning
A Short Film About Killing
Easy Street (1917)
The Battleship Potemkin
Lots of one reel silents and early cinema classics (A Trip To The Moon, Rover To The Rescue, The Great Train Robbery, etc)

Also a film I swear was Danish and directed by a women (we were doing a women in film module) which had something to do with a dentist and I think was made in the 80's. I remember liking the film but I'll be dammed if I can remember anything else about it.

Of those I remember.

Orlando
Vagabond (Sans toit ni loi)
Psycho
Shadow Of A Doubt
Slackers
A Taste Of Honey (I think. It's a little tricky with some to remember which we watched all of and which we just saw clips of to illustrate points)
Saturday Night Sunday Morning
A Short Film About Killing
Easy Street (1917)
The Battleship Potemkin
Lots of one reel silents and early cinema classics (A Trip To The Moon, Rover To The Rescue, The Great Train Robbery, etc)
Out of curiosity HK, where did you take these classes (if you feel comfortable answering of course). I saw a lot of the same, most memorably Orlando, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, and A Taste of Honey.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
We watched In the Heat of the night in English Class, due to it's importance in the Civil Rights Movement.