Directors Criticisms and Praise About Other Directors

Tools    

24. Vincent Gallo on Sofia (and Francis Ford) Coppola:
“Sofia Coppola likes any guy who has what she wants. If she wants to be a photographer she’ll **** a photographer. If she wants to be a filmmaker, she’ll **** a filmmaker. She’s a parasite just like her fat, pig father was.”
Oh, Vincent Gallo, who hurt you?

I also think it's hilarious that he thinks this is how things work. Want to be a firefighter? Sleep with a firefighter! Want to be a painter? Sleep with a painter! Everyone knows that skill sets are sexually transmitted!

Mostly, though, doesn't it sound kind of like she turned him down for a date and bro is mad about it?

Oh, Vincent Gallo, who hurt you?

I also think it's hilarious that he thinks this is how things work. Want to be a firefighter? Sleep with a firefighter! Want to be a painter? Sleep with a painter! Everyone knows that skill sets are sexually transmitted!

Mostly, though, doesn't it sound kind of like she turned him down for a date and bro is mad about it?
He is quite mean, or at least he acts like it. He did wish cancer on Roger Ebert.

Just generally, I think that it's fair for an artist to critique or criticize another artist's work. But many artists seem to have a blind spot when it comes to realizing that other people (filmmakers and audiences) just don't see the world the same way that they do.

I think that the most acceptable reason to criticize someone's art is when you feel that it's doing actual, tangible harm. For example, criticisms of something like the Dirty Harry movies because they celebrate a lead character who violates a lot of civil rights. Whether or not you agree with that criticism, we can probably all agree that if you think a movie is harmful, it's valid to speak up about it and debate the point.

But so much of the criticism has this vibe of "Oh, everyone think's he's SO GREAT! Well I think he's GARBAGE!".

Like, I am not the biggest fan of Godard. But at least I can recognize that he has an idea (like intentional audience alienation) and is trying to execute a vision.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Orson Welles on Stanley Kubrick

"Among the young directors, the only one who seems any good to me is Kubrick: The Killing wasn't too bad, but Paths of Gloy is disgusting; but there again I left after the second reel."

Cahiers: But, for example, The Killing was more or less a copy of The Asphalt Jungle?

Welles: Yes, but The Killing was better. For me, Kubrick is a better director than Huston. I haven't seen Lolita but I believe that Kubrick can do everything. He is a great director who has not yet made his great film. What I see in him is a talent not possessed by the great directors of the generation immediately peceding his, I mean Ray, Aldrich, etc. Perhaps this is because his temperament comes closer to mine."

1967/Kenneth Tynan
"Stanley Kubrick and Richard Lester are the only ones that appeal to me - except for the old masters. By which I mean, John Ford."

Kubrick's The Killing might be a technically better made film than Huston's The Asphalt Jungle, when you compare scene composition and filming technique...but Huston's The Asphalt Jungle has one important element that The Killing doesn't have, heart.

Huston's film is more of a personal exploration of what drives it's very human characters. Whilst Kubrick's film is more austere and focuses more on detail, than on illuminating the human condition.

Kubrick's The Killing might be a technically better made film than Huston's The Asphalt Jungle, when you compare scene composition and filming technique...but Huston's The Asphalt Jungle has one important element that The Killing doesn't have, heart.

Huston's film is more of a personal exploration of what drives it's very human characters. Whilst Kubrick's film is more austere and focuses more on detail, than on illuminating the human condition.
Well said... I like Kubrick, but none of his movies have heart. Very cold. But maybe that's what makes him unique.

I like Kubrick, but none of his movies have heart. Very cold. But maybe that's what makes him unique.
Different perceptions. I'm regularly moved to tears at the end of Paths of Glory. But maybe that's just me.

Different perceptions. I'm regularly moved to tears at the end of Paths of Glory. But maybe that's just me.
That would be an exception. It is more "human", the feelings toward the condemned men. And a bit in "Barry Lyndon".