The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm glad 12 Angry Men won. I didn't vote for it because I don't feel any passion for it at this time, but I think it's a superb film.

Rear Window is the only movie older than me that I've ever seen at the cinema. I loved it, and it was one of the best movie going experiences of my life. I watched it again for this countdown, and like most Hitch, my enthusiasm has lessened. I enjoyed it, but I found it to be silly at times. Hopefully I'll love it again some day.

Where does all the love for a 1 pointer list come from? It was interesting at first when nobody knew it was coming. Now it seems that a lot of folks are intentionally trying to vote for movies that nobody else did. Who cares about about a bunch of crap movies? I'm much more interested in what almost made the countdown.

Fantastic job Raul, your hard work is very much appreciated.

Hmm... it's interesting that in this countdown the top two films have 719 and 683 points respectively, but if I recall correctly the top two of the sixties countdown both had over one thousand points, and I don't think the difference in the number of submitted lists between these two countdowns was so large that it would explain away the points disparity. So, I guess people are more spread out about their favourite fifties films compared to their favourite sixties films?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
love the idea of #1 placements

50's Cyrano de Bergerac NO SHOW
60's The Great Escape #30
70's The Godfather #1
90's Leon #23
Now I did participate in the Millennium List but have no record of what I had. . .

Captain Spaulding's 50's Ballot

#1) Some Like It Hot

#2) Rio Bravo

#3) A Face in the Crowd

#4) Seven Samurai

#5) A Streetcar Named Desire

#6) Sunset Boulevard

#7) The Bridge on the River Kwai

#8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

#9) Harvey

#10) Anatomy of a Murder

#11) The Gunfighter

#12) Baby Doll

#13) Johnny Guitar

#14) The Seven Year Itch

#15) The Searchers

#16) Rear Window

#17) La Strada

#18) Strangers on a Train

#19) All About Eve

#20) Winchester '73

#21) The Hidden Fortress

#22) Rififi

#23) The Defiant Ones

#24) The Wages of Fear

#25) Fires on the Plain

Movies That Barely Missed the Cut
The Cranes Are Flying
Marty
In a Lonely Place
The Lusty Men
Kanal
Wild Strawberries
Touch of Evil
Forbidden Games
It Should Happen to You
The Killing

@Cricket

I'm not sure why you think the 1 pointers list is "crap" movies. I genuinely love the film I put at number 25, but I knew that it stood no chance of making the list proper. I put it at 25 in hopes of getting it some recognition.

Also going to steal Camo's idea.

My #1 film for each list:

90s: Goodfellas - #1
80s: Once Upon a Time in America - #16
70s: Chinatown - #6
Animation: Spirited Away - #3
60s: 8 1/2 - #16
50s: Vertigo - #4

As too your comments Vicky this is my first and only countdown i took part in so i dont know anyone elses work. All I know is it was ran the very best possible and it felt like an event.

@Cricket

I'm not sure why you think the 1 pointers list is "crap" movies. I genuinely love the film I put at number 25, but I knew that it stood no chance of making the list proper. I put it at 25 in hopes of getting it some recognition.
I'm guessing some others may be voting for something they wouldn't have, had it not been for a 1 pointer list. For your movie, if you had it higher, wouldn't it get better recognition? I just think that someone putting a movie at the end of their list, and being the only one to vote for it, is not really doing anything positive for the movie.

As too your comments Vicky this is my first and only countdown i took part in so i dont know anyone elses work. All I know is it was ran the very best possible and it felt like an event.
I'm not denying that, but that doesn't make this countdown "groundwork." You act like the fact that you weren't here for those other lists means that they don't count.

Raul is just the latest in a line of countdown hosts that put in the considerable time, work, and dedication it takes to make one of these happen.

@Cricket

I'm guessing some others may be voting for something they wouldn't have, had it not been for a 1 pointer list. For your movie, if you had it higher, wouldn't it get better recognition? I just think that someone putting a movie at the end of their list, and being the only one to vote for it, is not really doing anything positive for the movie.

I doubt it would get any recognition at all if I'd put it higher.

I don't have many countdowns yet for the #1 Placements thing, but I'll try it anyway:

60's: 2001: A Space Odyssey - #1
50's: Rashomon - #9
Action: Don't know yet, but hopefully in the Top 10

90's: Goodfellas
80's: An American Werewolf in London
70's: Taxi Driver
Animation: Ratatouille
60's: Elmer Gantry
50's: The Seven Samurai
If I had sent In an action list: Die Hard

The Bridge on the River Kwai was my favorite and no1, I'm that looser who's in Raul's post.

7 is pretty good, but I'd be lying by saying I'm not bitterly disappointed to see it higher or even at no1. Still, 7 is pretty good.

Great job, Raul! I highly enjoyed this countdown, with so many great movies from the 50's to choose from.

I had Rear Window at #4 and Twelve Angry Men at #14. Rear Window is my favorite Hitchcock film and Twelve Angry Men is a superb film. I had only seen the latter in the last year, I believe, but it stays with me and I want to see it again. So, here is my complete list:

1.Night of the Hunter #25
2.The Searchers #19
3.Harvey #31
4.Rear Window #2
5.The Ten Commandments #29
6.Shane #64
7.Witness For the Prosecution #24
8.East of Eden #43
9.All About Eve #12
10.Seven Samurai #6
11.The Bridge on the River Kwai #7
12.The Big Country #66
13.Ben-Hur #30
14.12 Angry Men #1
15.The Asphalt Jungle (did not place)
16.Anatomy of a Murder #35
17.Bad Day at Black Rock (did not place)
18.The Quiet Man #51
19.On the Waterfront #15
20.Singin' in the Rain #10
21.North by Northwest #5
22.Some Like It Hot #11
23.Wild Strawberries #23
24.High Noon #28
25.The Band Wagon (didn't place)

I see five people other than me had it as their #1: step forward and be counted!
1. 12 Angry Men
2. Alice in Wonderland
3. Rabbit Fire
4. Duck Amuck
5. Duck Dodgers in the 24th and 1/2 Century
6. What’s Opera, Doc?
7. Ali Baba Bunny
8. Seven Samurai
9. Forbidden Planet
10. Lady and the Tramp
11. Sleeping Beauty
12. Cinderella
13. Ikiru
14. Peter Pan
15. Seventh Seal

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules
12 Angry Men...won, for all of you who had it on your list, I have one question, was the kid accused of murder, innocent?
That's not answered in the movie, so no one can say for sure, but there is a reasonable doubt that he is guilty. That distinction is important.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Here was my fill list:

1. Seven Samurai
2. North by Northwest
3. Paths of Glory
4. Singin' in the Rain
5. 12 Angry Men
6. Ace in the Hole
7. Rear Window
8. Bridge on the River Kwai
9. Dial M for Murder
10. Rashomon