Sci-Fi Recommendations

Tools    

Really annoyed at myself because i'm usually that one goon who doesn't realize he isn't a mod and always tells people to use the search function . I searched "sci fi", "sci-fi" and "science fiction" and couldn't see a thread for this so sorry if there's already one.

Anyway with the 50's Countdown finishing tomorrow and the Sci-Fi/Fantasy (i heard fantasy mentioned not sure if that's been decided yet actually?) and thought we may as well have a thread for recs. I'm not gonna add any myself here because i'm really not well versed in the genre and would only be able to post the obvious ones.

Actually i'm planning on watching Tarkovskys movies for this finally. I know Solaris will count and i've heard Stalker mentioned as both Sci-Fi and Fantasy so not sure whether that will count. Anyway all his movies are available on Youtube and this site has other free movies, it doesn't allow you to browse by genre i don't think but it might have some good Sci-Fi films.

Links:

Tarkovskys films and possibly other Sci-Fi films -http://www.openculture.com/2010/07/tarkovksy.html

Rodents 1950-present Sci-Fi and Futuristic-Fantasy Movies -
http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=38189

IMDB Highest Rated Sci-Fi - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?tit...1&ref_=adv_prv

Recs:

*Batteries Not Included
12 Monkeys
A Boy and His Dog
A Trip To The Moon
Alien series and Prometheus
All the Trek movies
Alphaville
Altered States
Another Earth
Appleseed (1988)
Armageddon
Black Magic M-66
Brazil
Chappie
City of Lost Children
Close Encounters
Cloverfield
Cocoon
Coherence
Contact
Cowboys And Aliens
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
Critters
Cube
Dark City
Dark Star
Deathrace 2000
Destination Moon (1950)
District 9
Donnie Darko
Doom
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
Dragon's Heaven
Dredd (2012)
EVA 1.0
EVA 2.0
EVA 3.0
Earthbound
Elsyium
Enemy Mine
Equilibrium
Eraserhead
Event Horizon
Evolution
Ex Machina
Existenz
Explorers
Fire in the Sky
Five Million Years To Earth
Flash Gordon
Flight Of The Navigator
Forbidden Planet
Frankenstein (1931)
Freejack
Frequency
Galaxy Quest
Gattaca
Godzilla
Her
Himmelskibet
I Am Legend
Innerspace
Interstellar
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Island of Lost Souls (1932)
It's Such A Beautiful Day
Journey To The Centre Of The Earth
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
La Jettee
Lilo & Stitch
Logan's Run
M.D. Geist (1986)
Macross: do You Remember Love (1984)
Mars Attacks
Melancholia
Metropolis
Midnight Special
Moon
Nothing (2003)
Pacific Rim
Paprika
Paul
Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Vampires (1965)
Predestination (2014)
Primer
Quatermass 2 (1957)
Quatermass and the Pit (1967)
Ratpocalypse
Real Steel
Reanimator
Return of the Living Dead
Rise and Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964)
Romero's Dead series
Safety Not Guaranteed
Saturn 3
Screamers
Serenity
Short Circuit 1 and 2
Signs
Silent Running
Sleeper
Solaris (2002)
Solyent Green
Source Code
Sphere
Starman
Strange Days
Sunshine
THX-1138
TRON and TRON Legacy
The 13th Floor
The Adjustment Beaurau
The American Astronaut
The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
The Brood
The Brother from Another Planet
The Day The Earth Caught Fire
The Devil Doll (1936)
The Fifth Element
The Fly
The Hidden
The Invisible Man (1933)
The Island
The Killer Shrews
The Machine
The Man Who Fell To Earth
The Martian
The Matrix
The Mist
The Omega Man
The Place Promised in our Early Days
The Postman
The Quatermass Xperiment (1955)
The SIgnal
The Spy Who Loved Me
The Time Machine
The World's End
The World, The Flesh and The Devil
The quiet Earth
Things to Come (1936)
Time After Time
Timecop
Timecrimes a.k.a Los Cronocrímenes (2007)
Titan A.E.
Total Recall
Upside Down (2012)
Upstream Colour
Videodrome
Voices of a Distant Star
War Of The Worlds (either version)
Waterworld
Weird Science
World on a Wire
Wreck-It Ralph

Just hope some of those old fun movies make it: like Invasion of the Saucer Men for instance.

I included that in my 1950s-Present List.
Good movie

Just went through a random top 100 sci fi films list and i came up with 23 i'd vote for. Positive some wouldn't count though and others i haven't seen in years so i'm not sure how much i still like them.

Would 2046 the Wong Kar-Wai film count? I know nothing about it but it was on the list and i have both that and In The Mood For Love ready to watch after seeing Chungking Express the other night.

I think 2046 is classed as a drama/romance.
IMDB has it as drama/romance/sci-fi - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212712/

We need someone who has seen it to weigh in.

BTW, i'll update and continue to update the first post with the recs and links posted in case this ends up a large thread and people can't be bothered reading through it or whatever.

Does Night of the Living Dead count?

I'd count them tbh... Romero's original Dead film stated that the virus came from outer space.

I'm a bit hesitant to take or give any recs on this until we have a definition of Sci-Fi for the countdown purposes. I certainly hope IMDb won't be the standard by which it's determined.

I'm a bit hesitant to take or give any recs on this until we have a definition of Sci-Fi for the countdown purposes. I certainly hope IMDb won't be the standard by which its determined.
Eternal Sunshine will count, don't think many would disagree with its inclusion. I'm sure Nope will be fine with people challenging IMDB.

I'm a bit hesitant to take or give any recs on this until we have a definition of Sci-Fi for the countdown purposes. I certainly hope IMDb won't be the standard by which it's determined.
I agree with that.

Last I heard Nope wanted to run it and he said Sci Fi. I don't remember anything about fantasy. Hopefully no fantasy otherwise let's just declare Star Wars, LOTR the top 10 winners.

Eternal Sunshine will count, don't think many would disagree with its inclusion. I'm sure Nope will be fine with people challenging IMDB.
I certainly hope so, because Eternal Sunshine is not the only film on my preliminary list about which IMDb and I disagree.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I think 2046 is classed as a drama/romance.
IMDB has it as drama/romance/sci-fi - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212712/

We need someone who has seen it to weigh in.

BTW, i'll update and continue to update the first post with the recs and links posted in case this ends up a large thread and people can't be bothered reading through it or whatever.
It straddles the line a little bit, because it is primarily a drama/romance. But it definitely contains sci-fi elements to it, so it's certainly worthy to be called one, even though those aspects aren't featured all of the time!