Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
What ya think of The Cowboys, Matt?? That's a long-time favorite of mine since I was a kid.

Zootopia
+++ I really wanted to like this more than I did. Maybe a rewatch might help.

Twentieth Century (1934)
+++ John Barrymore and Carole Lombard in a Howard Hawks film where the secondary actors seemed to carry the film a little more than the stars. Still, a fun lil film.

(MULTIPLE REWATCH) Major League (1989)
+++ A sports comedy from the eighties that sill makes me chuckle.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Metropolis (1927) Dir. Fritz Lang (2010 complete edition)

".... ......... .. ..... ........ .. .... ...... ...... ... ... ..... .... ........... ...." Get it?

I've had a limited and very mixed experience of the silent era. One went into my top 10 favourite movies while another resulted in me getting woken up by my film history teacher after I'd fallen asleep 40 min into Battleship Potemkin. I also realized that it takes a bit more effort to watch a silent movie on account of not having audible dialog. You can't sit with something else while also watching because you need your full attention on the screen to follow the story. Quite obviuos really, but I hadn't considered it before.

In a futuristic city cept running by massive machines, a large part of the populous must work to keep the machines going. Massive teams work in 10 hour shifts, then rest for 10 hours and then back again for another shift. While they work, the upper class frolic in their social clubs and sports arenas. One of these is the son of the founder of the city, who one day decides to follow a beautiful girl into the depth of the city's underground macinepark. There he witnesses his father's legacy and decieds to do somthing about it.

It's a very well told dystopic, sci-fi thriller about the equality of man and has a very nice pichfork and torches kind of an ending. I loved the old special effects, especially around the tramsformation scene. I'm not really sure how they did it, though. Painting directly onto the film or somthing, maybe?

While it won't enter my top 10, it was a entertaining 2,5 hours from the mother of modern sci-fi. I'm curious as to how the feel of the movie changes if you were to see the 1984 version with the modern soundtrack by Giorgio Moroder. It's shorter by about an hour and change, I know that, but does the new music lend itself well to the movie or is it just a choice of style? I'll have to come back to you on that, but for now, I think this version's hard to beat.

And for you who are wondering, this is my comlpete list of seen silent era movies:

Sunrise: A song of two humans (1927)
Battleship Potemkin (1925)
Das cabinet des Dr. Caligari (1920)
A trip to the moon (1902)
The arrival of a train (1896)
The Gold rush (1925)

Madness is the emergency exit…
This looks interesting, can you elaborate on your rating?
The Good Neighbor (2016) follows Ethan and Sean , two high schoolers hoping to undertake a social-psychological experiment through their first documentary. Ethan’s "brilliant idea" is to bug the home of his elderly neighbor, Harold Grainey (James Caan), and film how he reacts to a series of pranks created to make him believe he is being haunted. It feels innocent enough at first, but when Harold's reactions do not match the boys' expectations they begin to question what is actually happening inside the home across the street.

James Caan was as usually great & convincingly played his part of an eccentric old man who lives alone & doesn't like to get bother by anyone. The 2 main young lead also shines in their roles. Overall, a pretty well done good thriller, IMO with a shocking & moving twist & finale. Loved it and worth a watch for sure.

Care for some gopher?
Ma-eum-ui gohyang A Hometown in Heart (Yoon Yong-Kyu, 1949) -

Since his mother abondoned him when he was three, 12-year old Do-seong lives amongst monks at a small mountain temple. He longs for his mother, who is said to live in Seoul behind the mountains. One day a young widow arrives at the temple. The both become attached to one another. Conflict arises, when suddenly Do-seong's mother appears at the temple ...

A very powerful, subdued drama from the early time of Korean cinema. The movie is very well directed and the cinematography is nothing short of gorgeous. Combined with its short runtime of just 77 minutes, it makes for great little watch.

For those of you interested, the Korean Film Archive put this film on Youtube (along with more than 100 other Korean movies, ranging from 1936 to 2002 - check their channel out!):

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
What ya think of The Cowboys, Matt?? That's a long-time favorite of mine since I was a kid.
I loved it! I had been meaning to see it for a while, and I finally did

I actually heard about Dern's character, so I knew what was going to happen after the "They'll hate you forever.." --- "But they'll love me in Berkeley!" -- still good.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Searchers (1956)

Must have been one heck of an adventure film back in the 1950s. I liked it. John Wayne was not overpowering, with a great big cast of interesting characters around him. Comedy bits were very amusing.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Searchers.png
Views:	598
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	27229  

North by northwest (1959) Dir. Alfred Hitchcock

Smarmy comment followed by quip at gunpoint followed by urrghh...

I don't like Cary Grant in this. He's supposedly portraying a advertising excec caught up in a criminal enterprise by way of mistaken identity. He's picked up at gunpoint by two heavies and his only response is some form of quip I can't even remember two hours after hearing it. You're a gloriefied salesman, not James Bond.

And that's the rub, right there. Grant thinks he playing a secret agent/spy, not a guy mistaken for one. Someone botched the explanation when they piched his character to him.

They take him to a estate where he meets the big bad for the movie. They think he's a man man named Kaplan, he doesn't agree, they think he's lying. So, they decide to kill him by forcing a bottle of booze into him, getting him into a car and then they plan to push it of a cliff. But Grant's to manly to be brought into oblivion by just a single BOTTLE of brandy. He's still cogent enough to push the heavy out of the car and drive off, surreptitiously getting caught by the cops. When he trys to tell the police what happened, even his mother scoffs at his bull**** story (one of the only actor I liked btw).

The story was okey, but no more. The female lead and the actress playing Grant's mother were good, they put in a solid performance, but in the end Eva Marie Saint went all damsel-in-distress unfortunatley, so of course Grant had to save her, which was extra annoying as...
WARNING: "End of movie" spoilers below
she's the actual secret agent, the one who's actually been trained to handle such situations.

As I started writing this review I had it at a 3.5, but as I kept writing it slipped and is now a 2.5. Sorry Camo, this wasn't a favourite for me.

North by Northwest is a masterpiece
Couldn't agree more. That's too bad Clazor, thing is i think a few of Hitchs films grow on you but i wouldn't say NBNW was one of them. Either NBNW, Vertigo or Notorious is my fave from the 15 i've seen. I read a good essay on Vertigo the other day and it has made me want to rewatch it, as well as a few i haven't seen. So i have a rewatch of Vertigo as well as Rebecca, Shadow of a Doubt and Frenzy for the first time soon.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Magnificent 7

Decided to watch the original. It was pretty good, I felt the final shootout was poorly done though. Characters are dropped for a lot of the fight, then turn up near the end just to be shot. The cast does very well for themselves though and elevates this to be a decent remake of an all-time classic.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels -

I really enjoyed this one, the rivalry between Martin and Caine was fantastic and they work well off each other. I had a lot more fun watching this than I anticipated. With con artists being the man characters, you can expect twists and turns in this one.

Suspect's Reviews

Hardcore Henry (2015)

It's gimmicky, but for a one and done I thought it was a lot of fun. Nonstop action and violence, it'd make a nice double feature with Crank.

Couldn't agree more. That's too bad Clazor, thing is i think a few of Hitchs films grow on you but i wouldn't say NBNW was one of them. Either NBNW, Vertigo or Notorious is my fave from the 15 i've seen. I read a good essay on Vertigo the other day and it has made me want to rewatch it, as well as a few i haven't seen. So i have a rewatch of Vertigo as well as Rebecca, Shadow of a Doubt and Frenzy for the first time soon.
Cobpyth told me he rewatched NBNW the other day and it went from very good to possibly his second best film for him (behind Vertigo), he loved it. I've always loved it but seen it a few times now and my appreciation grows, a great film that I want to rewatch again. I think with all Hitchcock's I appreciate them a lot more on remakes, even if I already love them. Man's a genius.

He is. Think he's overtook Scorsese as my favourite director lately. Out of the 15 i've seen i don't dislike any of them and even the ones i just find average have a lot to admire in them. Also glad to see NBNW is getting a bit of a reappraisal on this site. Not that it wasn't always loved but i remember some found it disappointing for one of his most praised, think Cob could've been one of them.

He is. Think he's overtook Scorsese as my favourite director lately. Out of the 15 i've seen i don't dislike any of them and even the ones i just find average have a lot to admire in them. Also glad to see NBNW is getting a bit of a reappraisal on this site. Not that it wasn't always loved but i remember some found it disappointing for one of his most praised, think Cob could've been one of them.
Yeah I watched Hitchcock/Truffaut as it was on Film4 the other night, not like an amazing doc but pretty fun and informative and puts you in the mood to watch more Hitch. Amazing how Truffaut was so dedicated and determined to show the genius of this man who was scene as more of an entertainer than an artist beforehand.

But yeah, always loved North by Northwest I think, probably used to be my favourite. I thought Vertigo was very good but only when I rewatched it did I think it was an absolute masterpiece and an amazing film. I actually spent an evening reading the script of NBNW once and watched a few clips about it, was pretty fun, it's a brilliant spy script and the situations lend themselves perfectly to Hitch's direction.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I loved it! I had been meaning to see it for a while, and I finally did

I actually heard about Dern's character, so I knew what was going to happen after the "They'll hate you forever.." --- "But they'll love me in Berkeley!" -- still good.
VERY glad to hear that. As a kid this movie was always very intense for me and growing older I found new situations to appreciate in it.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels -

I really enjoyed this one, the rivalry between Martin and Caine was fantastic and they work well off each other. I had a lot more fun watching this than I anticipated. With con artists being the man characters, you can expect twists and turns in this one.
Always loved this movie. Caine and Martin really did work great together. Seen this countless times and I always find the line "OKLAHOMA, OKLAHOMA, OKLAHOMA, OKLAHOMA. . ." running rampant in my brain for - well, hell, it's doing it right now. And the best part is, it's a GOOD thing. lol

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Another Woman - 6.5/10

Could have been a great movie. Gena Rowlands' performance is great, but not much of the others are. I don't think Woody Allen did a good job of putting this together. Maybe he was more focused on making this Bergman-esque, even using a Swedish cinematographer!

EDIT: He did work as Bergman's cinematographer.

An american werewolf in London (1981) Dir. John Landis

"I will not be threatend by a walking meat loaf!"

I love this movie, it's awesome. The effects are still good, even after 35 years. All hail the mighty Rick Baker and his werewolf transformation. Also, Jack looks sooo good when we see him for the first time. As he decays, he gets less and less convincing, but come on, you can see how much work they put into it. And to actually care enough to go through with a steady decomposing. I'd been fine with him looking all mauled throughout, but they took it a step further and you got to respect that. It's as if I've stumbled into finding a cousin of Evil Dead II, but with werewolfs instead of deadites. Also, I liked the touchup to the werewolf lore that the people you kill stays in limbo and can comunicate with the werewolf when he's in human form. It like his own little greek choir, only they allway keep insisting he kill himself so that they can move on. Amazing movie!

Free State of Jones

It is difficult to say that I enjoyed this movie, but I did not dislike it either. A bit middle of the road for me but it has some great shots at times. I think McConaughey , when he is on point, is a great actor - but sometimes the intensity is a bit too much. He is believable in Free State ', but almost too much so.