I'm Buying A House!

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
It sure does. Our unfinished basement is my husband’s domain. All his tools & whatnot are down there. Other than my washer/dryer I don’t need to be down there. What do you think you’ll use yours for?
My dog is going to have run of the kitchen and living room when I'm gone, and none of the bedrooms. So having that downstairs space a little nicer will allow for him to have more room during the day, and it'll work nicely as a safe/den type environment for him to escape the road noise. I plan on bringing the sofa and chair from my mom's place to put down there. He loves that furniture, so having it down there will naturally drawn him to the basement and will hopefully make the move easier on him.

The washer and dryer will be down there as well. And maybe a lawnmower, but it'll mostly be the dog's domain.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

My dog is going to have run of the kitchen and living room when I'm gone, and none of the bedrooms. So having that downstairs space a little nicer will allow for him to have more room during the day, and it'll work nicely as a safe/den type environment for him to escape the road noise. I plan on bringing the sofa and chair from my mom's place to put down there. He loves that furniture, so having it down there will naturally drawn him to the basement and will hopefully make the move easier on him.

The washer and dryer will be down there as well. And maybe a lawnmower, but it'll mostly be the dog's domain.
Sounds wonderful. See, you think ahead & prepare for eventualities. I do too.

My cats are not allowed in the bedroom unless accompanied by moi. (They do not sleep with us.) Limiting their access to the bedroom makes it more of a special thing for them. As soon as I’m free for the day or evening, we head into the bedroom for movies/reading/etc. When bedtime arrives, out they go.

Will doggy have the run of the house when you’re home? Will he sleep with you?

Sounds wonderful. See, you think ahead & prepare for eventualities. I do too.
Yeah, sometimes I think too far ahead, tho. That’s when I freeze up and freak out.

Will doggy have the run of the house when you’re home? Will he sleep with you?
he’s my security alarm so when I’m there he’ll have run of the whole house, and the same can be said for when I’m sleeping. But I want him to feel comfortable and drawn to the basement so he can guard the back door when I’m sleeping.

Yeah, sometimes I think too far ahead, tho. That’s when I freeze up and freak out.
I do too. I over-think things & manage to find a lot of obstacles in my path.

Anyway, your new house is very exciting.

Nothing is confirmed until the actual closing date, but my wife and I are past the last point of negotiation, so it's looking like a go.

Move is in about a month, just before Christmas, if everything goes through as expected.

Nothing is confirmed until the actual closing date, but my wife and I are past the last point of negotiation, so it's looking like a go
Ditto.

I’ll have a good amount of work to complete before I move, but I’ll have a house before Christmas if everything goes as planned.

Nice! Funny that we ended up doing this at almost exactly the same time by total coincidence.
Hey, great minds and all

I’m sure we both making out like bandits with the interest rates they offering!

I’m sure we both making out like bandits with the interest rates they offering!
Right, but did you find the house prices to be astronomical now? According to yesterday’s New York Times they are. They showed photos of some very nondescript houses whose sale price has risen exponentially.

It still varies a lot by location. I'm sure magazines and newspapers have sticker shock fun with plays in highly desirable areas, of course.

The market is definitely high, and rates exceptionally low, but according to our realtor (and this is evident just from browsing home sales, as my wife and I have been for a bit now), it's already peaked and is a little less crazy now. For awhile there reasonably-priced homes were getting snatched up within days for asking price (or above), without even being seen in person.

Right, but did you find the house prices to be astronomical now? According to yesterday’s New York Times they are. They showed photos of some very nondescript houses whose sale price has risen exponentially.
Mine is actually underpriced given the surrounding property values. But the market hasn’t been all that bad here. The nicer houses (200k+) tho are insanely priced.

If northerners stopped flocking south it wouldn’t be so bad. Those people got more money than they got brains. No offense to any northerners on here

It still varies a lot by location. I'm sure magazines and newspapers have sticker shock fun with plays in highly desirable areas, of course.

The market is definitely high, and rates exceptionally low, but according to our realtor (and this is evident just from browsing home sales, as my wife and I have been for a bit now), it's already peaked and is a little less crazy now. For awhile there reasonably-priced homes were getting snatched up within days for asking price (or above), without even being seen in person.
Yes, that’s been in the paper too.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Grats to you both and I wish you the best in home ownership.

We were terribly lucky with mom's home in VA. I believe we had a bid within 24 hours of posting. As I understand it, the buyer was in Colorado, but has retired parents living local. Apparently the parents were the ones that scheduled and made it out for the house visit. I guess they were satisfied and had their kid put in an offer.

It finally closed last Tuesday and the home is now under someone else's name. It was a cute home, but just too much for mom I think. Whoever bought it should really enjoy it though. It was 1.7 acres, I believe, and sat in a cul-de-sac, down a slight hill driveway. The area is very wooded and felt secluded for it. I will miss the drive during my Christmas breaks, but I'm so glad she is out from that burden and was able to sell in this market. Hopefully she can save whatever she made off of it for retirement or maybe a solid down payment on a home in a few years. That is, after she's paid me back for all the repairs. >=\

I wish I could buy now, but I'm where I am for a long while I think. I'll just live vicariously through posts here by Dredd and Grogu. So keep them coming! I'll just focus on cameras and guitars.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

'Grats to both.
One of the large things in life I've been fortunate enough to never have to buy

Just in case I gave the wrong impression, this isn't our first house. But it's our first "real" house, because the one we're in now was just a very very affordable starter home we've lived in a lot longer than we planned.

This is definitely my first house, and it's a bit more than a starter house. It's more like an intermediate house. Jump in the deep end I always say.

This is definitely my first house, and it's a bit more than a starter house. It's more like an intermediate house. Jump in the deep end I always say.
Ok, I’m certainly no expert but this is starting to sound like you may actually be in the process of buying a swimming pool not a house

Build a pool first, okay.