Coronavirus

Tools    

Maybe it's time to start thinking about which alphabet we'll use once we've exhausted Greek.

The year is 2033, the Dalet variant is sweeping the nation.

Since the virus started I have not known anyone to be badly affected, last week a family member caught covid and even though double vaccinated and had a booster shot she has it very bad but thankfully not bad enough for hospital, so to think what she would have been like with no vaccination!

Since the virus started I have not known anyone to be badly affected, last week a family member caught covid and even though double vaccinated and had a booster shot she has it very bad but thankfully not bad enough for hospital, so to think what she would have been like with no vaccination!

Sorry to hear that. Is she an elderly person? Or did she have any pre existing health conditions? Hope she's doing better soon.

I think I may have just gotten over Omicron.
I only say that because I had the symptoms in the exact same order that the Dr. from South Africa (who allegedly discovered Omicron) named them: fatigue, headache, muscle aches, scratchy throat, occasional cough. Lasted about a week total, with about 2 days with symptoms at their height. (Or maybe it was just a seasonal cold).

^ Hope you are okay and don't get any of the symptoms.

Finally, compulsory face mask wearing back in England, they shouldn't have got rid of them in the first place.

Hardly anyone continued to wear them when it was lowered to just guidance a few months ago especially where we need them, public transport.

Things you never want to see, the 2 blue lines:

Oh, boo! I hope your symptoms (if any) stay mild.

Fully 1/3 of my class was out today. At least two of them positive, three close contacts. Two others we are not sure why they weren't there. Over 1/6 of our school population was out today. And I am stuck on the phone trying to explain to a parent why we can't just test their child the same day they were exposed and why she has to stay home for several days.

My wife's small office had an outbreak, co-workers and clients with hospitalization that she had close contact with. She had no symptoms so wasn't required to get tested. I mentioned it to my boss, and again she had no symptoms so business as usual for me. No wonder it continues to rapidly spread but what can you do. My real estate agent in his 60's got it pretty bad but is fine now. His doctor told him he would probably have needed hospitalization at least if he wasn't vaccinated.

Oh, boo! I hope your symptoms (if any) stay mild.
Thanks. My + test was the Monday following Thanksgiving, so it's come and gone, I'm no longer contagious, but I had it real bad. Not gonna lie - it was ****ing horrible. I did end up having to stay in the hospital for a couple nights because my lungs were "sh*t" according to the Urgent Care Dr. who checked my vitals, hooked me up to an O2 monitor and within 2 minutes recommended me to ER. There's nothing I can do for you here, she said. When she said that, that was the first time I got real worried, like this is much worse than I thought it was. My 02 levels where hanging out around 90 at rest and would drop to mid to low 80's with any type of movement or talking. This low O2 stuff was going on for 4 days after my fever broke and I thought I had already beat it. With supplemental O2 at the hospitaI was able to maintain O2 levels at 92-93 but the minute I moved or talked it dropped and I got the "BOOP" on the oxygen machine telling me I have low levels again.

I had ct scans of my chest and lungs within an hour of arriving at the ER - chest okay, no clots in my lungs but my lungs, according to the ER Dr., where in very bad shape. They put me upstairs, corner room, and after 2 days of supplemental O2 and monitoring they decided I was good to go home with a rx of steroids to help fix my lungs.

Obviously I looked up my rx when I got home and this is what I found quickly:

"Dexamethasone is a corticosteroid used in a wide range of conditions for its anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressant effects.
It was tested in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 in the United Kingdom’s national clinical trial RECOVERY and was found to have benefits for critically ill patients....for patients on ventilators, the treatment was shown to reduce mortality by about one third, and for patients requiring only oxygen, mortality was cut by about one fifth." https://www.who.int/news-room/questi...-dexamethasone

I got home one week ago and feel much better. Can do a little treadmill work, maybe a mile at a time very slow walking and I have to do a lot of deep breathing exercises. My brain is finally getting clear, I mean I never had much to work with anyway but I was in a fog for weeks. I still tire quickly and am not out of the woods quite yet but things are encouraging. My GF never got Covid. If I had to leave my "Room" it was a routine of hand sanitizer and n95 mask and be fast as possible.

Sorry to read you contracted Covid and were quite badly affected, glad that you appear to be on the road to recovery though. Getting my booster this afternoon so this comes as a very timely reminder of just how awful this virus can be. Wishing you well on life returning back to normal as soon as possible.

My brain is finally getting clear, I mean I never had much to work with anyway but I was in a fog for weeks. I still tire quickly and am not out of the woods quite yet but things are encouraging. My GF never got Covid. If I had to leave my "Room" it was a routine of hand sanitizer and n95 mask and be fast as possible.
Glad you're on the mend. That all sounds awful. I'm glad (for both your sakes!) that your GF avoided it.

Finally, compulsory face mask wearing back in England, they shouldn't have got rid of them in the first place.

Hardly anyone continued to wear them when it was lowered to just guidance a few months ago especially where we need them, public transport.
In Connecticut we need a mask for public transport (though the driver doesn’t always notice when some idiot is unmasked). Schools, doctors’ offices, etc. require masks. Stores do not & neither do restaurants, coffee shops, etc.

Only place I wear a mask is the one hour I’m at Sunday mass. Some people at mass don’t wear masks so I presume they’re fully vaxxed, but, really, no clue. Two of my good friends (and their families) remain unvaxxed.

Considering wearing my mask more often like I used to do.

Thanks. My + test was the Monday following Thanksgiving, so it's come and gone, I'm no longer contagious, but I had it real bad. Not gonna lie - it was ****ing horrible. I did end up having to stay in the hospital for a couple nights because my lungs were "sh*t".
So glad you’re feeling much better what a terrifying experience.

Do you mind me asking: were you fully vaxxed + a booster?

Duplicate Account (locked)
after hearing about the experiences of people developing moderate or serious covid, i definetly want to avoid getting it even though there are those who are hardly effected at all, someone i know said they've had worse colds. I just made myself sick from drinking 7-10 shots of vodka yesterday, i was looking to pass out after anxiety and stress kept me awake all night. Drunk guitar was fun. Happilly, this morning i was able to recover after getting myself off (for me, going number 3 does cure headaches ), vomiting, and eating some scrambled eggs and tomatoes.

I haven't overrall changed my opinion that I am much more frightened by what isolation is still doing to people psychologically. Given all the strains, there's still a chance that I will still get it even though i'm vaccinated. Within the next couple months i intend to go get another booster.

You ready? You look ready.
I went near the mall today, and it was insane how packed it was given the news about Omnicron. I went in a few less traveled stores on the perimeter. Masks were on maybe 10-15% at best. I wore one every time I went inside.

The science on mask coverings is solid, and it’s a minor inconvenience for a great deal of protection.

COVID is just a bitch now man…..

It’s not too long ago that we opened up society completely here in Denmark, removing all restrictions and basically being back to normal.

Now though, as expected, we are looking at what could be the worst state we’ve ever been in. Every single day now we keep having the highest number of newly infected and the restrictions are coming back hard.

I always thought it was so utterly stupid removing every single restriction. And welll, of course the combination of the season and the arrival of omicron hasn’t made things better…

I sure hope I’m not infected before Christmas. Definitely don’t want to celebrate that alone in isolation.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I grew up loving M.A.S.K.

I enjoy not breathing after strangers. “Stranger’s Breath, the new secondhand smoke! Outlaw it!”

Very little policy seems to dampen cases. At this point I care primarily about things like hospitalizations and deaths. Reducing those seems to have been the primary (and lasting) benefit of the vaccines.