GBGoodies 2015 Movie Logbook

Tools    

I'm assuming you've seen Mildred Pierce, gbg, but if you haven't give that a look. I think you'll like it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm assuming you've seen Mildred Pierce, gbg, but if you haven't give that a look. I think you'll like it.

I saw Mildred Pierce a long time ago, but I don't remember much about it. It's probably about time that I re-watch it, so I'll add it my watchlist.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Mildred Pierce is one of the great Noir movies...the original with Joan Crawford that is. They also did a remake didn't they?

I liked Straight Jacket, not a deep movie but Joan really gave her best in all of her movies.

Where Love Has Gone...That's one Bette Davis film I never seen, sounds interesting.

Mildred Pierce is one of the great Noir movies...the original with Joan Crawford that is. They also did a remake didn't they?

I liked Straight Jacket, not a deep movie but Joan really gave her best in all of her movies.

Where Love Has Gone...That's one Bette Davis film I never seen, sounds interesting.

IMDB lists a 2011 remake of Mildred Pierce.

Supposedly, Where Love Has Gone is loosely based on the real-life Lana Turner case from 1958. (Turner's daughter killed Turner's gangster boyfriend, and claimed that she was defending her mother at the time.) I'm sure the real-life case was much more interesting than the movie.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Oh my god how many of these film diary threads are we going to get? I think Yoda needs to create a new sub-forum exclusively devoted to them.

Not seen The World's Fastest Indian (though I've been meaning to) but I'll certainly back HK up on The Dish. Lovely, gentle, warm comedy-drama which presents a very unique spin on an iconic event.

No problem, gbg. Pleased to help.

If you want a couple more lovely little films, try The World's Fastest Indian or The Dish.

Not seen The World's Fastest Indian (though I've been meaning to) but I'll certainly back HK up on The Dish. Lovely, gentle, warm comedy-drama which presents a very unique spin on an iconic event.

I've heard of The World's Fastest Indian, but I don't know much about it. I've never heard of The Dish, but the movie poster certainly makes it look interesting.

I'll look for both movies. Thanks to both of you for the recommendations.

Looking forward to all the foreign horror films I'm bound to see here.

If foreign horror's coming about on this thread, I'd put this up for her.

Eyes Without A Face

It's really good, gbg, but not normally what I'd recommend for you.

If foreign horror's coming about on this thread, I'd put this up for her.

Eyes Without A Face

It's really good, gbg, but not normally what I'd recommend for you.

I looked this up on Wikipedia, and this statement is from the end of the very first paragraph. "Critical reaction ranged from praise to disgust."

I'll look into it further, but my initial reaction is that it doesn't sound like my kind of movie.

LOL at Swan and HoneyKid......you're not going to get GBG to watch many horror flicks.

But The Innocents and The Haunting are fine movies, not really horror in my book.

Supposedly, Where Love Has Gone is loosely based on the real-life Lana Turner case from 1958. (Turner's daughter killed Turner's gangster boyfriend, and claimed that she was defending her mother at the time.) I'm sure the real-life case was much more interesting than the movie.
Now! That sounds familiar. Yup I seen that one. You're right it's not as interesting as the A&E documentary I seen on Lana Turner and the trial.

Topkapi (1964) - Making use of the extended deadline, this is another movie that I watched for the 1964 movie list. This is an interesting heist film that has just enough comedy in it to make it a fun movie, but not so much that it takes away from the action and suspense. It stars Melina Mercouri, Maximilian Schell, Robert Morley, and Gilles Ségal as a team of crooks who come up with a plan to steal a jeweled dagger from a museum in Turkey. They hire a small-time con-man, played by Peter Ustinov, to help them transport their necessary tools into Turkey. Without giving away any spoilers, they have a problem, and the con-man has to get more involved in the actual heist than expected.

This is a very good movie with a nice combination of drama, suspense and comedy. It never gets boring, and it has some clever surprises. I highly recommend this movie.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Topkapi-1964.jpg
Views:	1522
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	19144  

Have you seen The Innocents or The Haunting, gb?

Yes, I've seen both The Innocents and The Haunting. I liked both movies, but I wouldn't classify either as "favorites". I liked The Haunting a little bit more than The Innocents.

Now! That sounds familiar. Yup I seen that one. You're right it's not as interesting as the A&E documentary I seen on Lana Turner and the trial.

I basically watched Where Love Has Gone because I'm working on my 1964 movie list, and it listed DeForest Kelley as one of the stars, but sadly, even with him in the movie, it still wasn't worth watching.

It's a shame because it sounded like it could have been a good movie, but it just wasn't written well at all.

I guess Where Love Has Gone made such a little impression on me that I had forgot I watched it, until you mentioned being based on Lana Turner. Do you know in real life Lana Turner's defense was that her mothers boyfriend ran into the knife, killing himself. She got off to.

BTW, I took your advice and just requested Topkapi. It looks like a fun movie, I like movies from the 60s because I was a little kid then, too little to remember what the 60s were like.

And Then There Were None (1945) - This was a re-watch of a great movie that I've seen many times before. I saw it listed on TCM's schedule, and I wanted to watch it again.

This movie is a mystery based on Agatha Christie's novel about eight strangers who are invited to an isolated island, and along with the two servants, they are all accused of being guilty of a murder that they got away with in the past. One by one, the people are killed off, and they have to figure out who the killer is before it's too late.

This movie was remade several times with the title Ten Little Indians, but this version is easily the best version. I highly recommend this classic movie.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	And Then There Were None-1945.jpg
Views:	1460
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	19148