Movie a Day by the Bay

Tools    

My favorite thing about it, Sean, was the conclusion at the end of the documentary. It ultimately doesn't really matter how you tell your story, as long as you tell it. In my opinion there have been great movies made on both film and digital. It's how you utilize the medium to tell your story, and tell it with heart and passion, that makes a movie work. Not so much if it's film or digital.
Very true. Nothing was more telling than the footage of Collateral. That movie looks more like it was done on film than a lot of movies that were. Like you said the story and the story teller are the most important aspect.

My hesitation comes from the fact that I'm already posting everything I'm watching in my own thread. So... I guess it's kind of pointless. I guess I'll just cheer you on instead.

The thing I found out and found most interesting about Side By Side (which I liked) was that digital introduced another person (the colourist if I remember correctly) who will/might claim ownership of a film. Unless I'm not remembering it correctly, there was already a guy in the documentary who, in essence, said "I'm the last person to touch the film. I'm the person who decides how it looks in the cinema."

Colorists are definitely important.

I was amazed to learn Drive was shot digitally. I always assumed it was film.

I've also seen Side By Side a few weeks ago. It's pretty interesting. I'm personally very open-minded about the debate "film vs digital". Both can look fantastic when done well and both can be total crap.

Film of course has that romantic and nostalgic aura around it and there's nothing cooler than seeing a director playing around with film stock, but I think we're evolving to a status where it ultimately doesn't really matter anymore what you use to tell your story or show your thing.

The rise of digital filmmaking has given us a whole new range of different tools, but ultimately the only thing that's really important is in which way those tools are used and for what purpose.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
So let's start the challenge! I'll try to update this everyday from now on with a description of my feelings towards the movie. I didn't post yesterday because I am in a all-day singing course that it will last until the 4th so I don't have much time. However, I brought my Ipad so I won't stop watching movies!

01-01-2015

Tengoku to jigoku a.k.a. High and Low
Akira Kurosawa
143 min.

My first movie of 2015, my first movie by Kurosawa and a great way to start the year!
I feel like I just attended to one year of cinema university! The first half of the movie is a masterpiece from the dramatic and technical point of view! It reminded me a lot of 12 Angry Men in some parts.
The second half is a very well paced crime thriller with an absolute control over the script and with moments of amazing cinematography!
The acting is great from everyone involved specially from the main character! He changes your opinion of himself during the movie in an outstanding way!
I can't way to watch more Kurosawa!

02-01-2015

Une femme est une femme a.k.a. A Woman is a Woman
Jean Luc Godard
85 min.

This is would be amazing as a 30 minute short! It's extreme Nouvelle Vague so it's 1 hour and a half of style over a very small content!
It has some brechtian parts that seem out of context but that give it an amazing touch, the colours are amazing, the soundtrack is daring and inventive and Anna Karina is simply beautiful!
It gets a bit hard to watch after a while but it's a great experience overall!

I have a huge pile of movies more my type ready to watch and rewatch. Tonight, however, my dad wanted to watch something we all could enjoy - including my mother. So we went with...

January 2, 2015:

Slumdog Millionaire (Danny Boyle, 2009) -

[REWATCH]

When this came out, it knocked me off my boots. I was in love with it for a good bit of time. I still think it has many great qualities. It has a fantastic energy to it and I love Anthony Dod Mantle's camerawork. However, I guess I must have changed as a person because rewatching it now for the first time since it came out, the flaws really showed through. It's a little bit hokey (if you can get sucked in it works, though), and the acting isn't great in more than a few parts. The score that I once couldn't stop listening to on my iPod now feels like it distracts from the film.

Maybe I'm getting to be a boring, cynical adult. I don't know. I still like the movie, as you can tell by my rating. Like I said there's a lot to enjoy in it. I'm a fan of Dev Patel and Frieda Pinto needs to do more work because she's gorgeous and talented. But it's not the perfect masterpiece I believed it was when I was 16.

Glad you loved High and Low; I saw it a couple months ago and gave it the same rating.

I also liked Slumdog a lot, and I can't understand the hate.

I haven't seen Slumdog since its release. I remember liking but not loving it. I was put off by the gameshow mechanic, I think hokey is a good word for that aspect of the film.

Haven't seen either of yours Neiba, but I am looking forward to High And Low as part of my 60's viewing.

I've done over 500 in a year. But yes it's much better to aim for 365 in 365 days, because if you're busy one day you can watch two the next day. And still everything is on track.

Slumdog Millionaire is an excellent movie, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a masterpiece. Actually I did enjoy the gameshow aspect because it actually felt really true to what it's probably like in India. I mean the gameshow itself, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, is pretty cheesy in all it's renditions if you ask me. But I have heard from people from India that there is a lot of corruption in those kind of things. Also, it's like watching the best and worst contestants on the actual show. The people who actually won usually don't say anything out loud to give away their actual thoughts, and I thought it was a very accurate and realistic portrayal of someone who potentially could actually win on that show. When he had no clue and used his 50/50, that's exactly how it's done. The people who give away the two options they think it could be are too stupid to realise those are the two options that will be left if they use their 50/50.

It doesn't hold a candle to some of the truly powerful Middle Eastern films, like Turtles Can Fly. Slumdog just doesn't deliver powerfully enough to reach it's full potential, especially considering the content it's focused on.

My thoughts anyway...

I also liked Slumdog a lot, and I can't understand the hate.
I do like it, but I guess I've just changed as a person so I don't love it as much as I used to. Still, I don't really get all the hate either - it's a sweet, humble film and a good watch.

I hope I didn't come off as too negative with my write-up. I definitely like the film, and it will always represent a special time and place in my life. It brings back some fond memories.

I loved Slumdog Millionaire when it first came out, but it hasn't held up well for me on repeat viewings. I still think it's a very good movie, though.