Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Lots of people agree with you but I'm not one of 'em. Epic, classic, romantic storytelling at a level I almost couldn't believe would have been made in 1995. I suppose many people hate Gibson, somehow think it's a misinterpretation of "the truth" (what movie isn't?), or just hate more-modern movies which seem to imitate older ones and thus seem "dated" somehow.

There Will Be Blood
The Hours

I'd have to say, A Beautiful Mind- pretty predictable and definitely not Oscar worthy (although still a decent film). I without a doubt prefer Howard's Apollo 13.

And adding to this debate- not only do I not date men based entirely off of looks (for the most part)...but if you think for a second that Marlon Brando isn't attractive...wow . I think he was sexy as Terry Malloy, Stanley Kowalski, AND Vito Corelone. Hell, I still thought he was kinda sexy in Apocalypse Now...and he was in shadows for most of his time on film (mind you I have a weird belief in what is attractive). So, that's just, crazy...to me at least. Even Pacino is pretty sexy in it. I'd also like to add that I don't judge how good a movie is based off of how attractive the actors are.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Another I dislike, possibly even more than The Godfather, is Juno. I don't think it's clever at all and I don't feel anything for any characters. Terribly overrated, in my opinion.

Another I dislike, possibly even more than The Godfather, is Juno. I don't think it's clever at all and I don't feel anything for any characters. Terribly overrated, in my opinion.
Ignoring The Godfather part, I ABSOLUTELY agree...that movie was beyond dull.

Animal House! I understand that comedy is a subjective thing...but in ALL honestly this HAD to be the dumbest piece of crap I've EVER sat through. Not a single part made me laugh, not a single character was memorable. The ONLY memorable thing I can think of was John Belushi spitting jello in someone's face and cracking an EXTREMELY stupid joke about him being a zit and how absolutely disgusting that was. I don't mind gross out humor BUT PLEASE give me a GOOD enough plot and punchline with it !

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Just watched This Is Spinal Tap and it has to be one of the most boring movie experiences of my entire life. It has a few funny moments (and I stress few), but the film is just stupid and overrated.

Just watched This Is Spinal Tap and it has to be one of the most boring movie experiences of my entire life. It has a few funny moments (and I stress few), but the film is just stupid and overrated.
Aww that is sad

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
The two films I'm going to mention aren't films that I really hate but just don't get the hype really.

I'm a huge fan of the Coen brothers but surprisingly the two films that are most people's favourites - Fargo and Big Lebowski - just don't do it for me

Fargo was ok but for me not in the same league as O Brother..., Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing etc while I just didn't get the Big Lebowski whatsoever. After so much praise I was left completely confused as to why it was so loved

I do however plan on giving Lebowski another chance sometime in case it was my fault, maybe I just wasn't in the mood or the right mindset for it

I do however plan on giving Lebowski another chance sometime in case it was my fault, maybe I just wasn't in the mood or the right mindset for it
Give it another go it took me a few viewings to really like it now I it

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
did you like Burn After Reading ?
Not seen it yet. Missed it at the cinema. Picked the DVD up a while back for a couple of pounds but not watched it yet. One of so many cheap DVDs I've blind bought and are still lying unwatched

Is it one of your favourites?

Give it another go it took me a few viewings to really like it now I it
Well that sounds promising as it's a film I want to like. With films that inspire such passionate followings I always feel I'm missing out when they don't appeal to me in the same way

Well that sounds promising as it's a film I want to like. With films that inspire such passionate followings I always feel I'm missing out when they don't appeal to me in the same way
I can certainly relate to that feeling. Often times I find myself unable to articulate exactly what it is about some movies that just don't hit me the way others do. Then again, all media is a subjective medium so I take comfort in the fact that people like you and I aren't the only ones who feel like they're missing the punchline.

Repo men.