A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Definitely G&T today (very long day at work) as I try to source something truly brutal for my nighttime viewing. Was going to try Saint Maude, but that could prove too mild.

Also, I might as well repost the first two horror summaries I wrote this month here since I wrote them before the great Corrie migration:

Cat People (1942) - 7/10

WARNING: spoilers below
Being my first of Tourneur's horror films (Out of the Past, which is a masterpiece, is the only other film I've seen from him), I found this to be a good introduction into one of the main genres he specialized in. The horror elements of the film (curses and shape-shifting), though they made for a handful of effective horror sequences, ultimately weren't what caught my interest the most. I found myself drawn mostly to the tragedy at the heart of the story and how the horror elements shaped the various characters in the film. Irena's curse took its toll on both her and Oliver, particularly. The former grew more confident with her curse, while the latter slowly lost his patience while waiting for her to get over her fear of her curse. This made it so they were both harmful towards each other, yet didn't realize this until it was too late. This theme of harmful relationships also applied to Dr. Judd, Irena's psychiatrist, whose refusal to take her seriously served to escalate the problem and lead to Irena being more reckless. Alice, who was caught up in the middle of this conflict, was who Irena directed most of her rage towards. On the other hand though, I was a bit put off by the shapelessness of Irena's arc as she seemed much too gentle in many of her early scenes for me to buy her murder attempts of Alice and Oliver, which, though shot really well, were the only issues I had with the film. Regardless of this, however, I really loved this film due to the various character dynamics and I'm looking forward to watching more of Tourneur's horror films in the future.

Deep Red (1975) - 7/10

Being relatively new to giallo horror, I chose this to be the giallo film I'd watch this month, given I'm already a huge fan of Suspiria. While I prefer Suspiria by a decent margin (which isn't a flaw with this film, really; Suspiria is untouchable), I enjoyed this film quite a lot. Rewatching this film after you know the ending is a rather joyful experience which will reveal a handful of hints you'd likely miss with your first viewing. What I was mainly impressed with, however, was how its individual horror sequences seemed to blend reality with the paranormal. Though it's eventually revealed that nothing paranormal goes on, the central mystery has such a thick, supernatural atmosphere that, for a first time viewer, it's easy to believe in this conceit. Why does this aspect persist so strongly though? I think the revelation that the killer had been sent to a mental institution in the past and was supposed to be sent to another one before she killed her husband justifies this aspect. That she, along with her son to an extent, were displayed as eccentric throughout the film, seems to heavily inform its supernatural undercurrent. It's as if their mental states are baked into the film's fabric, thus giving it this bizarre feel. On the other hand, the jazzy, upbeat soundtrack could be really intrusive at times and this is also, sadly, yet another entry in a long line of films which stigmatize mental institutions, but there's still definitely a lot in here to love.

It's a relatively obscure movie forum several of us here posted at. I've posted at this place a bit in the past (you may or may not remember me), but never stuck around for some reason. Since Corrierino is closed down though, I plan to post here a lot more.
Cool and Welcome to all of you refugees

MoFo is an awesome place! We do lots of group activities here and you guys are more than welcomed to join in.

Also, what do you all eat or drink while Horrorcramming? I've been drinking Howling Gourds Pumpkin Ale, which I like, although the vanilla sometimes overwhelms the pumpkin spice flavor.
Pfff, blood, of course.

Also, I might as well repost the first two horror summaries I wrote this month here since I wrote them before the great Corrie migration:

Cat People (1942) - 7/10

Being my first of Tourneur's horror films (Out of the Past, which is a masterpiece, is the only other film I've seen from him), I found this to be a good introduction into one of the main genres he specialized in. The horror elements of the film (curses and shape-shifting), though they made for a handful of effective horror sequences, ultimately weren't what caught my interest the most. I found myself drawn mostly to the tragedy at the heart of the story and how the horror elements shaped the various characters in the film. Irena's curse took its toll on both her and Oliver, particularly. The former grew more confident with her curse, while the latter slowly lost his patience while waiting for her to get over her fear of her curse. This made it so they were both harmful towards each other, yet didn't realize this until it was too late. This theme of harmful relationships also applied to Dr. Judd, Irena's psychiatrist, whose refusal to take her seriously served to escalate the problem and lead to Irena being more reckless. Alice, who was caught up in the middle of this conflict, was who Irena directed most of her rage towards. On the other hand though, I was a bit put off by the shapelessness of Irena's arc as she seemed much too gentle in many of her early scenes for me to buy her murder attempts of Alice and Oliver, which, though shot really well, were the only issues I had with the film. Regardless of this, however, I really loved this film due to the various character dynamics and I'm looking forward to watching more of Tourneur's horror films in the future.

Deep Red (1975) - 7/10

Being relatively new to giallo horror, I chose this to be the giallo film I'd watch this month, given I'm already a huge fan of Suspiria. While I prefer Suspiria by a decent margin (which isn't a flaw with this film, really; Suspiria is untouchable), I enjoyed this film quite a lot. Rewatching this film after you know the ending is a rather joyful experience which will reveal a handful of hints you'd likely miss with your first viewing. What I was mainly impressed with, however, was how its individual horror sequences seemed to blend reality with the paranormal. Though it's eventually revealed that nothing paranormal goes on, the central mystery has such a thick, supernatural atmosphere that, for a first time viewer, it's easy to believe in this conceit. Why does this aspect persist so strongly though? I think the revelation that the killer had been sent to a mental institution in the past and was supposed to be sent to another one before she killed her husband justifies this aspect. That she, along with her son to an extent, were displayed as eccentric throughout the film, seems to heavily inform its supernatural undercurrent. It's as if their mental states are baked into the film's fabric, thus giving it this bizarre feel. On the other hand, the jazzy, upbeat soundtrack could be really intrusive at times and this is also, sadly, yet another entry in a long line of films which stigmatize mental institutions, but there's still definitely a lot in here to love.
Great reviews! The Deep Red Goblin soundtrack has stayed with me forever.

Great reviews! The Deep Red Goblin soundtrack has stayed with me forever.
Thanks! Regarding the soundtrack, though I found it intrusive to the atmosphere in the film, I've yet to listen to it by itself, so that may enhance my enjoyment of that aspect. Who knows. Regarding Argento, Suspiria took a few viewings for me to fall in love with it so the same may happen with this film.

Definitely G&T today (very long day at work)
So Brits still drink those, eh?

A system of cells interlinked
Drat, you just missed the start of the MoFo Halloween Challenge. Can still jump in, but would have some catching up to do!

Welcome to MoFo!

I think we've been in the Horrorcram for, what 15 years? Glad you've resurrected it.

Just keep it away from any small children throwing flowers in the river.

I think we've been in the Horrorcram for, what 15 years? Glad you've resurrected it.

Just keep it away from any small children throwing flowers in the river.
Oh **** Tak is here!

Also being on the last two dead forums it’s nice to meet some new blood so thanks for the welcomes from all you.

Just checked and Corrierino is officially gone. Sank beneath the waves.

Watched The Ghoul last night. It's a 1933 Karloff film that he made in England after a falling out with Universal over money. Pretty good actually. He plays an Egyptologist named Henry Morlant who is convinced that a jewel called The Eternal Light will grant him immortality if he is buried with it. That's when a plethora of thieves come out of the woodwork to try and steal it. The cast includes a couple of future "Sirs", Ralph Richardson and Cedric Hardwicke and Ernest Thesiger (Dr. Pretorious from The Bride of Frankenstein) The plot does a decent enough job of combining "the old dark house" genre of horror with elements of The Mummy and a bit of drawing room mystery. (80 out of 100)

Another RT/Corrierino refugee here. Starting to work on my Hooptober 7 list, probably with either The Invisible Man Returns or Bride of Frankenstein tonight.

Odds are that I'll pop up from time to time here, especially during this month or when someone's discussing a film I've seen and can remember.

Joining in as a RT and Correrieno Horrorcram refugee, glad to see familiar faces and get my horror movie recommendations and fun quotient filled.

Prelude (1927)
Guy falls asleep while reading Poe's The Premature Burial and listening to Rachmaninoff's Prelude. Nightmares ensue.

Just checked and Corrierino is officially gone. Sank beneath the waves.

Watched The Ghoul last night. It's a 1933 Karloff film that he made in England after a falling out with Universal over money. Pretty good actually. He plays an Egyptologist named Henry Morlant who is convinced that a jewel called The Eternal Light will grant him immortality if he is buried with it. That's when a plethora of thieves come out of the woodwork to try and steal it. The cast includes a couple of future "Sirs", Ralph Richardson and Cedric Hardwicke and Ernest Thesiger (Dr. Pretorious from The Bride of Frankenstein) The plot does a decent enough job of combining "the old dark house" genre of horror with elements of The Mummy and a bit of drawing room mystery. (80 out of 100)
Saw this last year, but I wasn't a fan. Felt a bit draggy, but it's always nice to see Karloff.

Saw this last year, but I wasn't a fan. Felt a bit draggy, but it's always nice to see Karloff.
I can see that. But I've seen plenty of other old timey horror flicks that moved slow. It had just enough humor to tip it into the favorable column. Besides, in honor of Halloween I've been watching horror movies and some of them have been real dogs. Started Creature from the Haunted Sea but bailed out after a few minutes. I'd already seen it so I figured why be a masochist about it.

I watched Sam Was Here which had a very Twilight Zone/Black Mirror vibe except it wasn’t very good and kinda nonsensical.

I also watched Random Acts of Violence directed by Jay Baruchel which was a little too convoluted and far fetched for its own good. But man the violence was brutal.