A Cold War era movie from 70's or early 80's

Tools    

Can anybody please help me find this film? Apparently a Cold War era movie.
The main villain was seemingly an old man dressed in black and had a Soviet Union badge. At the end the film he is wounded, trapped inside a crashed car right on the edge of a cliff. The protagonist waits for the villain to come around, throws the Soviet badge to him, kicks the car, and it flies down the cliff into the canyon exploding.

I remember most of the production was set in snowy landscapes.

Also halfway into the film the protagonist and a woman are captured and held on a freighter.

There was a scene where the protagonist returns to their safe-house to discover his partner dead with his throat slit, lying in his car.
Sorry I can’t provide any more details. The thing is I saw it only once when I was 5 or 6, over 30 years ago.
I assume it should be either from 70’s or early 80’s.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Stay safe!

freedom~empathy~peace
That first part you describe sounds a lot like a scene from the James Bond film 'For Your Eyes Only' (1981).

Check out the car-on-a-cliff scene here:

A system of cells interlinked
Octagonal glasses guy had a weird dove pin, and not a USSR emblem, IIRC.

That first part you describe sounds a lot like a scene from the James Bond film 'For Your Eyes Only' (1981).

Thank you soooo much for the link. This could quite possibly be the one. I'll know for sure when I see the whole thing Funny thing I had memorised the villain to be pretty old. I'd have never guessed to look for it in older James Bond films )))

Thanks a bunch again!

Octagonal glasses guy had a weird dove pin, and not a USSR emblem, IIRC.
I'll check the movie for now. Hopefully this is the one. Thanks for your feedback

A system of cells interlinked
I'll check the movie for now. Hopefully this is the one. Thanks for your feedback

Hopefully it is the one. Some of the details you mention don;t fit the film, but some do. I have found that for me, I sometimes conflate two films from back then, somehow merging the details in my mind in the memory, only to discover later that it was actually two films I was remembering.

[quote=scallywag;2108672]That first part you describe sounds a lot like a scene from the James Bond film 'For Your Eyes Only' (1981).

Sorry it took me so long to get back. It was "For your eyes only". Thanks a bunch!

Hopefully it is the one. Some of the details you mention don;t fit the film, but some do. I have found that for me, I sometimes conflate two films from back then, somehow merging the details in my mind in the memory, only to discover later that it was actually two films I was remembering.
It was the one. Thanks a lot for your help!

freedom~empathy~peace
......It was "For your eyes only"......
That's great news. Thank you for reporting back Jacob1981 -- it's always nice to have an answer confirmed.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Are you sure it's For Your Eyes Only, because there was no freighter, or Soviet badge in the movie.

Are you sure it's For Your Eyes Only, because there was no freighter, or Soviet badge in the movie.
Absolutely! It's the movie I was looking for. Thank you so much for your help!