JayDee's Movie Musings

→ in
Tools    

Unlike most people on this forum, I'm a very big fan of Tim Burton. I'd count Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Batman and Ed Wood among my favorites, and I'm also very fond of Frankenweenie, Corpse Bride and Sleepy Hollow. I admire his thick Gothic atmosphere, and I often relate to the weird, misanthropic characters that populate his films since I'm strange and unusual myself (or so I've been told). Also, Johnny Depp is my favorite actor, so his frequent collaborations with Burton have probably increased my affinity for both men.

Unlike most people, I was actually really excited about Dark Shadows. I've never watched the show, but I assume it was somewhat similar to The Addam's Family and The Munsters -- two shows I very much enjoy. I also get a kick out of watching characters typical of a horror film go about their daily existence-- seeing the family dynamic and what they do when they're not sucking blood or terrorizing the local townspeople. Plus it was Depp and Burton and I had enjoyed the trailers for the film. But Dark Shadows was a disappointment. Not terrible, but only moderately enjoyable; fun in spurts, funny in spots, but too inconsistent as a whole to be worth more than a rental. I'd give it the mark f rating.

I'm glad to see that you were more entertained by it, despite finding similar faults.

Over the last decade or so Johnny Depp has gone from becoming one of the most interesting and respected actors out there to something almost resembling a persona or even a caricature; wheeling out the same basic performance time and again and really cornering the market on quirky.
I resent this statement, even though I've heard the same thing from many others. Depp has always specialized at playing oddball characters, but I think he brings something different to every role. I never feel like I'm watching the same performance, in other words. I think the reason so many people share your sentiment is because he only seems to work with Burton and Gore Verbinski nowadays. He needs to branch out more often and work with different directors with different styles.

. How Tim Burton managed to talk the studio into spending $150 million on this is rather baffling because it really isn't an easy sell for audiences. While it has a few laughs it's not an all-out comedy. While it has a couple of spookier moments it's most certainly not a full-blown horror. Nor is it a drama or a romance though it includes elements of both. While it's dark it doesn't go full blown gothic. And while it's sometimes rather silly it doesn't go far enough to become fully camp. So what exactly is it? Well it's an oddity which doesn't really fit comfortably into any restrictive box, other than to be described as a typical Tim Burton film.

Not sure if you're aware, but the television show on which the film is based has a rather large cult following. Add to that the fact that both Burton and Depp still attract a good sized audience and the fact that vampires are really hot and I'm sure the studio saw dollar signs.

As a fan of both Depp and Burton, I very much enjoyed this film. I wouldn't rank it as a favorite or anything, but it's a good bit of fun.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I've got some good news for Sexy and others. A while back people talked about how they liked when I did somewhat shorter reviews so at the time I decided to go that way for a while. So a number of upcoming reviews are going to be a bit shorter than normal (at least by my normal standards)

mirror
mirror

Year of Release

Directed by
William Friedkin

Written by

Tracy Letts

Starring
Matthew McConaughey
Emile Hirsch
Juno Temple
Gina Gershon
Thomas Haden Church

Killer Joe

+

Plot - When he finds himself in considerable debt to a local gang boss, 22-year-old drug dealer Chris Smith (Hirsch) comes up with a radical solution to his problems. He decides to have his mother Adele murdered so that he can collect on her insurance money; a plan that proves surprisingly popular with his whole family. Along with his father and Adele's ex-husband Ansel (Church), they decide to go ahead with the plan and hire Joe Cooper (McConaughey). Cooper, a police detective who just happens to moonlight as a contract killer, agrees to take on the job but demands payment up front. This proves to be a problem for the family who cannot afford it; they had been planning to pay him afterwards with the insurance money. With the deal initially seeming to be dead, an alternative payment method is agreed upon. Joe will take on Chris' younger sister Dottie (Temple) as a 'retainer.' Having suffered a head injury when she was young, Dottie is a very unique young girl; simple-minded, childlike and decidedly odd, Joe actually becomes very taken with her. The growing relationship between Joe and Dottie does not sit well with Chris however, setting the two men on an explosive collision course. Finding himself in considerable debt, Chris a Texan drug dealer, decides the only solution is to murder his mother to collect the insurance money. Getting together with his father, the ex-husband of Chris' mother, they decide to hire Joe Cooper a contract killer, who also happens to be a police detective. The plan is that the money will go to Chris' sister Dottie. However due to the size of the contract fee, Chris agrees that Joe can take Dottie as a retainer until the insurance comes through.

“Shower! Shower! I need to go and have a shower right this instant!” Those were my first thoughts upon finishing this brutal, unflinching film, the latest from William Friedkin. Killer Joe truly is a nasty, sordid, lurid film that left me feeling decidedly dirty; a film of unflinching violence, incestual subtext, the most cold-blooded of murders, sexual humiliation, full frontal nudity and perhaps one of the most f*cked-up of families ever committed to the screen. You don't often see a film like this these days, certainly not one featuring an A-lister as its star. It's the kind of film you struggle to imagine anyone truly loving. And if you ever do come across someone who does you may do well to give them a wide berth; chances are they're pretty messed up!

For all that depravity however I have to admit to finding it strangely mesmeric and rather compelling, especially as it enters the final stretch where the twists and impactful scenes come thick and fast. Much of that compelling nature can be attributed to the central performance of Matthew McConaughey. I've now seen just about everything that has constituted the McConaissance. And while I have been greatly impressed by everything he has done and become a big fan in the process, this here really is something quite different to anything I've seen McConaughey do before. His performance as 'Killer' Joe Cooper is a darkly magnetic powerhouse of a showing, and one that on occasion had the ability to chill me to my very bones. With his sadistic depths only being revealed gradually it's a performance that just grows and grows throughout the film, leaving the audience never entirely sure where this guy is going to go next. It's nearly impossible to marry this guy to the man who had become the shirtless mainstay of romantic comedies and become a parody in the process. Had Kate Hudson ever run into the Matthew McConaughey of Killer Joe she would have been in a world of trouble.

While McConaughey delivers the stand-out performance that will stay with you, the entire cast are actually very strong in bringing to life the trashiest of trailer trash families. Emile Hirsch sparks with a nervous, fiery energy and plays beautifully off of Thomas Haden Church as his father. Juno Temple I found to be just delightful and somewhat ethereal as the brain damaged Dottie. She plays the character as such a frail, vulnerable individual and yet on occasion it feels like she imbues the character with a unique wisdom of a sorts. Gina Gershon, in what seems like an all too rare prominent role these days, smolders as the trashy, sultry Sharla. The individual who comes closest to stealing the show from McConaughey however is Thomas Haden Church, highly amusing and even strangely endearing as the simple-minded patriarch of the family, Ansel. Oh and even though he only appears in a single scene I have to give a mention to Marc Macaulay who portrays local gang boss, Digger Soames. He makes for a chilling, darkly charismatic presence and one you're left hoping will show up again.

Film Trivia Snippets - Killer Joe was originally created by Tracy Letts for the stage and 20 years previously to the film, Gina Gershon was offered the role of Sharla in the play; the same character she plays in the film. She turned it down back then however as she could not imagine performing the infamous chicken-leg scene "eight times a week" on stage. /// In one scene Dottie asks if Joe is a detective like Magnum PI. Matthew McConayghey was actually in the running to play the character of Thomas Mangum in a big budget movie remake of the series back inn 2007 but he turned it down. /// Gina Gershon's character is introduced to us completely naked from the waist down, though it turns out not all is as it seems. In an interview Gershon later revealed that she wore a merkin for the scene. After ordering a wide variety to choose from, she finally settled on one that she named Bertha.
William Friedkin is a director who really made his name in the 1970s but whose name and reputation have been in steady decline every since really. With this film however he proves that there's still some life in the old dog yet. Killer Joe is a powerful, incendiary effort that seemingly attempts to push every button imaginable; it's no surprise that its release sparked a bit of a controversial reaction. And much of those qualities are a result of Friedkin's vigorous and energetic direction, though the punchy dialogue of Tracy Lett's script is also a contributing factor. Together they create a film constructed of one dynamic and edgy scene after another, many of which may leave you ill at ease. In particular there is a scene featuring a chicken drumstick that is amongst the more uncomfortable scenes I've endured in quite some time, and one that is unlikely to be leaving my mind anytime soon.

For all of its dysfunctional and disconcerting elements elements Killer Joe does actually play a substantial amount of it for laughs. To describe its humour as being merely dark however doesn't come close to serving it justice. It attempts to mine its humour from some of the darkest places imaginable, and actually succeeds in being very funny on more occasions than you'd imagine or perhaps like to admit to. However I think that is where one of the film's main flaws is also to be found, that of its tone. The humour generally originates out of a pretty dark and disturbing place. On occasion however it descends into territory of a much more farcical and downright silly nature and the balance has a tendency to feel just a bit off.

Conclusion - I have to say that as a film-making exercise I feel I'm perhaps under-rating this a touch. The reason being that in terms of the approach the film aimed for it succeeds with great aplomb. It's just that the approach is an acquired taste to say the least. A slow first half hurts it but a series of strong performances, a stylish aesthetic and real verve ensure it finishes strongly. It is actually a film I could imagine myself possibly growing to like more on repeat viewings. The only problem however is trying to imagine when I'll next feel up to subjecting myself to its vile ways.

I liked the movie more then you (a
) but I do seem to have a taste for things that can be more dark and sleazier.But I still love the bright and fun comic book and Disney flicks, so it evens out. Either way what you praised I also praised. You just seem to like it as much. Which is cool. Also yeah the scene with the chicken leg was awkward to say the least. There was a reason it was NC-17.

It's the kind of film you struggle to imagine anyone truly loving. And if you ever do come across someone who does you may do well to give them a wide berth; chances are they're pretty messed up!
You might want to keep your distance from me then, because I loved Killer Joe. Excellent film, excellent lead performance, excellent dialogue. I enjoyed wallowing in its depravity.

Have you seen Bug, the previous Friedkin-Letts collaboration?

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote, Jaydee, except the part about at times getting near silly. If I ever do a new favorites list, Killer Joe will be on it pretty high up. I love this movie, and the last half hour is incomparable.

Wow quite a lot of love for Killer Joe. Who knew we had so many sick, twisted individuals on here.

As I said I did actually like it and to be fair perhaps more than that rating indicates. I wrote that review quite a long while ago now, but it certainly stuck in my mind and shortly afterwards I was considering bumping it up to a 3.5 -. I decided to leave it with my initial gut reaction though, thinking that it can always be bumped up on a repeat viewing

Have you seen Bug, the previous Friedkin-Letts collaboration?
No I haven't. Just looked it up and it sounds.....interesting (that's as much as I'm willing to commit to it ). I like Michael Shannon though

When I first watched Killer Joe I liked it but was a bit indifferent because I also thought it got a bit too near silly at the end. I've seen it a couple of times since and I now think it's great.

Well look who it is, it's Danny boy. How gracious of you to see fit to climb down from you art house high horse and mingle with us commoners.

I hate all this reading. I wish Yoda would invent MoFo Implants that just let your brain "suck up" all the text instantly so you can know what was said without actually reading it.

I hate all this reading. I wish Yoda would invent MoFo Implants that just let your brain "suck up" all the text instantly so you can know what was said without actually reading it.
I was working on that, but had some serious problems with human testing. Some subjects saw permanent damage.

I'll leave you to figure out which former members were the product of this.

love killer joe, and ever since i saw it i've wanted to rewatch it because i feel like my
+ was too low. it's the film that made me love matty m, which was a really hard task at the time. i still think it's his best performance of his career.

I wish Yoda would invent something that would allow me to avoid all of your moaning.

Wait a minute, someone's telling me something.......what's that, Yoda has already done that......the ignore list, what's that?......... are you sh*tting me?!!! You mean I've been stuck reading all of Sexy's rubbish for all these years when I didn't have to? Why did no one tell me?!!!

And really even that was too much for you Sexy? I think it was less than 1000 words. For me that's akin to a short little haiku. That's me basically phoning it in

I am a cross between a commoner and an art house lover I tell you! I am the one who holds the ladder, helping people get up and down as they please
Oh that's the best laugh I've had in an age. You in touch with the common man? Yeah you keep telling yourself that. Now why don't you just totter off back to your arty land of pretentiousness where you're most comfortable.

Also, JayDee, you mentioned the 'McConaissance', any chance you could rank your favourite McConaughey performances? Would be interesting to see
Wow that's tough. I'm terrible at comparing and choosing between films or performances unless I've actually just watched them and my memory of them is fresh.

I think I've seen all of the films that constitute the McConaissance except for Paperboy. At the bottom I'd perhaps have Bernie and Magic Mike. Both very good performances; I especially admire his balls out (almost literally) bravery in Magic Mike, but neither asked as much of him as other films. Then I'd go with his very impressive turns in The Lincoln Lawyer and Mud. Killer Joe would probably then come in second just behind Dallas Buyers Club.

His showing in Wolf of Wall Street was fantastic and one of the film's real highlights but it's tough to compare it to the rest given it's brief screentime. And then I was absolutely wowed by his work in True Detective but again because that's so different from just a single film I'm struggling to compare it accurately but it would certainly be up there alongside Dallas Buyers Club and Killer Joe I would say

How about you Daniel, how would you rank them? Oh and is the McConaissance over now that he has reached the top of the mountain (winning an Oscar) or does it keep going until he throws in a clunker?

And really even that was too much for you Sexy? I think it was less than 1000 words. For me that's akin to a short little haiku. That's me basically phoning it in
Yeah, if you're E.T. making a long distance call!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	et_phone_home_by_brandtk-d65asj0.jpg
Views:	1228
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	18771  

Oh that's the best laugh I've had in an age. You in touch with the common man? Yeah you keep telling yourself that. Now why don't you just totter off back to your arty land of pretentiousness where you're most comfortable.

Wow that's tough. I'm terrible at comparing and choosing between films or performances unless I've actually just watched them and my memory of them is fresh.

I think I've seen all of the films that constitute the McConaissance except for Paperboy. At the bottom I'd perhaps have Bernie and Magic Mike. Both very good performances; I especially admire his balls out (almost literally) bravery in Magic Mike, but neither asked as much of him as other films. Then I'd go with his very impressive turns in The Lincoln Lawyer and Mud. Killer Joe would probably then come in second just behind Dallas Buyers Club.

His showing in Wolf of Wall Street was fantastic and one of the film's real highlights but it's tough to compare it to the rest given it's brief screentime. And then I was absolutely wowed by his work in True Detective but again because that's so different from just a single film I'm struggling to compare it accurately but it would certainly be up there alongside Dallas Buyers Club and Killer Joe I would say

How about you Daniel, how would you rank them? Oh and is the McConaissance over now that he has reached the top of the mountain (winning an Oscar) or does it keep going until he throws in a clunker?
There are a couple I haven't seen, and I'm gonna throw True Detective in there too, so:
  1. True Detective
  2. Killer Joe
  3. Dallas Buyers Club
  4. Mud
  5. The Wolf of Wall Street
  6. Bernie

It's been too long since I saw The Lincoln Lawyer but I liked it a lot. I think his Bernie performance is odd, but the whole film is The rest of his performances I would all say are great, I'm not really sure why I asked you to rank them, as it is quite difficult