No Retreat, No Surrender finally coming to U.S. Blu-Ray

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Kino Lorber Studio Classics will be releasing the 1985 martial arts film No Retreat, No Surrender on Blu-Ray in the U.S. on February 21, 2017. This was the film that launched the career of Jean-Claude Van Damme, who played the film's main antagonist, Ivan "The Russian".

This will be the first post-VHS release in the United States of the film, where it was released on DVD & Blu-Ray in other areas of the world.

The U.S. Blu-Ray will have two versions of the film:
  • The international version, which runs at 94 minutes
  • The New World Pictures U.S. version, which runs at 85 minutes, including a deleted scene not in the international cut, different opening credits, and a different soundtrack, in addition to alternate edits.
Confirmed extras:
  • Interview with lead star Kurt McKinney
  • The U.S. cut will have audio commentary by the film's screenwriter, Keith W. Strandberg.
  • Original theatrical trailers.

Man, this film is hilariously bad. It has a Bruce Lee sensei ghost (and yes actually the ghost of Bruce Lee after he died, not Bruce Lee playing a sensei ghost before he died.) and everything. Don't remember it that clearly but i don't think Van Damme says a word.

A friend of mine will be stoked though, he loves this.

Actually, it has a cult classic following these days. Van Damme only has four lines in the entire film and they are within the last 15 minutes, where he beats up an entire trio of kickboxers before his climactic fight with McKinney.

As for the Bruce Lee ghost, he was played by Korean-born Kim Tae-Jeong, who was actually one of two doubles who replaced Lee after he died and Golden Harvest completed Game of Death in 1978. Yuen Biao was the other double. Sadly, Kim passed away in 2011.

It has a cult following? Wasn't aware of that, it's still bad. I refused to believe this film was real for years until my friend got it on dvd because the Bruce Lee ghost sounded so absurd.

Sorry, just now noticed it's on your favourites. Wasn't trying to put down a favourite of yours, if you like it that's fine as i said a friend of mine really does too.

It's all good but interesting point you make about the Bruce Lee voice. It makes sense that it would sound absurd, but it was for good reason. Kim Tae-Jeong could not speak English. He only spoke Korean, so he and Kurt McKinney did their scenes with him speaking Korean. I've seen both versions of the film and his voice is redubbed by two different voice actors.