Do series "run off the track" after 2-3 seasons?

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I think the big problem with me is that I watch a couple of episodes of a series then don't get back to it for weeks sometimes. By then I've lost track of what was happening in the plot. Maybe. Maybe I'm just an old guy with a diminishing attention span, eh?

I know what you mean. I have a bad memory, so when I watch these types of shows, I tend to forget what's going on by the time the next episode airs a week later. Sometimes I can remember most of it when I watch the short recap at the beginning of the next episode, ("previously on ..."), but usually, even if I remember the plot, I can't remember who some of the secondary characters are, so I'm still confused about some parts of the plot.

I've started recording these shows on the DVR, and then waiting to watch them until the whole season airs. Then I can watch them as a marathon over a few days, and it makes it easier to keep track of what's going on.

One of the shows that I didn't seem to have a problem remembering what was going on was "Once Upon A Time". The family tree stuff got confusing as the show went on, but that was part of the charm of the show. But the show was great up until the the last season, (which is the only season that's not worth watching).

I know, right? I mean, for me, that's about tantamount to him saying he gave up on Cowboy Bebop halfway through