Your Favourite Beatles Song!!!

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
Someone must have done this before but I don't care!

If you had to pick one (1) song with the Beatles as your all time favourite, which one would you pick?? Motivate your answer!!

For a long time A Day In The Life was my favourite but now I'll have to say:

In My Life, Lennon/McCartney's masterpiece from Rubber Soul (1965).

The song itself is of course great but I like it a lot because it's a Beatles track where they showed their strength as a band, before their songs became more and more sort of solo performances. It's also one of those songs that Lennon and McCartney actually did write together.

McCartney's backup vocal is superb as always just like his bass playing. Harrison's little guitar figure is so simple but at the same time so beautiful and haunting, accompaning the melancholic lyrics wonderfully. Starr is showing as so many times before and after this recording why he is such an underrated drummer with his skillful, sharp and effective playing. So often playing interesting rythms. And George Martin, the fifth beatle, is doing the coolest thing. He played the tape on a low speed, doing a piano solo on it, and when played on normal speed it sounds like a cembalo. Awesome stuff!

The things that make this song stand out from other great ones from the group are Lennon's lyrics and his singing. I think everybody can relate to the lyrics about one's past with all the places and faces, everywhere you've been and everyone you've met. And the way he sang it. So sincere and true. Whenever I hear this song I stop doing whatever I'm doing and just stand still and listen. It feels me with so many emotions; sadness, nostalgia, and warmth. And the last time Lennon sings the line In my life... in falcetto. So expressive... And then the finish with the guitar figure one last time. It's art.

Here's the lyrics:

In My Life

There are places I'll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more

Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them

-Lennon/McCartney

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Put me in your pocket...
Only ONE!!!

I can't...here's my top two fav's...

Eleanor Rigby
Let It Be

I also love..........

Something
Yesterday
When I'm Sixty-Four

1. "In My Life"
2. "Golden Slumbers" medley
3. "Yer Blues"
4. "Rocky Raccoon"
5. "Norwegian Wood"
6. "For You Blue"
7. "Got to Get You Into My Life"
8. "A Day in the Life"
9. "Let It Be"
10. "Two of Us"

Yeah, I'd probably go with "In My Life" as my favorite Beatles tune too, with the ambitious and wonderful "Golden Slumbers" medley a close second. Though I must admit, the one I most often croon when I'm plastered drunk is "Rocky Raccoon". I'm a sucker for a good narrative.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hey Jude
Ticket to Ride
Day Tripper
I Want To Hold Your Hand
We Can Work It Out
All You Need Is Love
Lady Madonna
Get Back

(these are all on the 1 CD, the only one I own)

I like John Lennon's son, Julian, too. I love his song Too Late For Goodbyes.

1.)Across the Universe
2.)I am the Walrus
3.)Strawberry Fields

All the rest in no particular order:
Fool on the Hill
Black Bird
Because
Let it Be
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
A Day in the Life
Something
In my Life
Taxman
Revolution
Elenor Rigby

In My Life is my favorite too followed very closely by Yesterday… A few of the others I really like are:

Here Comes the Sun
Let it Be
I’m Looking Through You
The Long and Winding Road
Nowhere Man

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
This subject is close to my heart...
Pid-In my life is an awesome song!!!
Aniko-ELENOR RIGBY has to be one of my all time fav's of the Beatles

I love the Beatles for their sense of creativity in their songs. Each song represents something about their life.
IE..Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

My favorite album has to be the abbey road album...I even want to name my child (if it's a girl) abbey b/c of the Beatles.
My favorites, other than those listed above
Something
Let it Be
Magical Mystery Tour
Hey Jude
Fool on the Hill
I am the Walrus
A day in the life
If I fell....in love with you, would you promise to be true, and please understand, that i've been in love before.
Penny Lane
All you need is love

I could go on about the Beatles. From Meet the Beatles to their Anthology, to their own solo careers.

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

Something............

Lucy in the sky with diamonds.........
Help...............
Hard days night.........

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

I See You When You're Sleeping
1 - Across the Universe
2 - I am the Walrus
3 - Strawberry Fields

01. While My Gutair Gently Weeps
02. Strawberry Fields Forever
03. Across The Universe
04. Let It Be
05. Hey Jude

George Harrison was by far my favourite Beatle, so it is no suprise that my favourite song would be a Harrison piece. I think While My Gutair Gently Weeps [and I have a copy of the acoustic version too, which is wonderful] is just outstanding.

Excellent post Piddy.

The Beatles are my all time favorite band, yet I have never attempted to choose one song as a favorite. Mainly because it depends on my mood. In My Life is one of my favorites as well, but not the favorite. The Long and Winding Road is also a favorite, but I have a hard time listening to it now, because it was the song I listed to over and over again after my Mother passed (R.I.P.).

John Lennon is my favorite musician, I can cry right now if I think too much about his death. He was a beautiful human being. That said, my favorite as of right now, and usually is anyway, I Am The Walrus. Classic Lennon on drugs.

Ho-ho-ho-hee-hee-hee-ha-ha-ha!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

You will hate me for this, but I think Lennon was the most arrogant/obnoxious and overrated of the Beatles. This may be because I was born after his death and so he was always doused in legend for me, and I didn't think he was much better than any of the others. Well, maybe Ringo.

Anyway, I think that when it comes to songs under the influence, then the Lennon magnum opus is Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.

I Am The Walrus is fantastic, but Oasis do a much better version of it. It is the only Beatles cover that I think outdoes the original.

I forgot Helter Skelter.

Sorry to invade Yoko Ono into all of this, but did anyone see her on Leno last night? She showed off one of her new performance arts pieces -- a broken cup and some super glue.

Originally posted by Sexy Celebrity
Sorry to invade Yoko Ono into all of this, but did anyone see her on Leno last night? She showed off one of her new performance arts pieces -- a broken cup and some super glue.
I saw her on Conan. I'm afraid I don't "get" her or her art. Ah well.

I'd say Joe Cocker doing "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" is the best Beatles cover, with his "With A Little Help from My Friends" a close second. I'd put Ricthie Havens doing "Here Comes the Sun" next, then Stevie Wonder's "We Can Work it Out".

And Tiny Tim trilling his way through "Girl" is the best of the so-bad-it's-good variety.

[i]Originally posted "With A Little Help from My Friends" [/b]
Is that who did that cover? It's really fantastic, I never could figure out who did it.