Movies That Redefined Its Genre

Tools    

The Fabulous Sausage Man
BUMP

Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
for Horror definatley the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's the very first slasher movie! I'm pretty sure it was anyway.
No, Mario Bava's 1964 film Blood & Black Lace was.

Originally Posted by Eyes
no, i think that F13 came b4 it
Uh, who on earth said that Friday the 13th was the first slasher film? Most people would think it's Halloween or Black Christmas, which were obviously released waaay before F13. The Slasher film may have big big in the 80s, but it didn't start there. Besides, the majority of stuff that happens in it is lifted straight from Bay of Blood, directed, again, by Mario Bava.

Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
Slasher films to me are movies like Friday the 13th, Halloween, Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street and things like that. Norman Bates didn't have the body count Freddy and Jason did. That's what I think of when I hear "slasher film."
Michael Myers' body count in the first Halloween was only four people. You're right about Psycho not being a slasher though - I consider it to be more of a suspence film, like Hitchcock's other works - but it definately influenced the genre (as did Peeping Tom, released in the same year).

Welcome to the human race...
I'm trying to think which film defined the gritty anti-hero stories that moved through Hollywood in the 1970s. (Examples I'm thinking of include Taxi Driver, Chinatown and The French Connection.)

If anything, I'm going to go with The French Connection. It's one of the earlier ones and it did win Best Picture, thus lending notoriety to the Hollywood 70s Antihero. However, any other suggestions in this regard?

what about Waking Life ?

the shot was filmed using digital video equipment...the digital animator then used newly developed computer software to transform the images through a process called "interpolated rotoscoping"

this avant garde film also redefined animation as a tool to convey theoretical and controversial topics of coversation

Horrorphiliac

Originally Posted by Iroquois
I'm trying to think which film defined the gritty anti-hero stories that moved through Hollywood in the 1970s. (Examples I'm thinking of include Taxi Driver, Chinatown and The French Connection.)

If anything, I'm going to go with The French Connection. It's one of the earlier ones and it did win Best Picture, thus lending notoriety to the Hollywood 70s Antihero. However, any other suggestions in this regard?
I agree.

WE COME IN PEACE AND WITH GOODWIL
Puberty Blues
Holloween
Citizen Kane