Lets Talk Football

Tools    

^^ ^^

So glad the Elon Musk thing was a joke. I didn't even hear about it until it'd been denied, but still. There are plenty of people I don't want running United regardless of how much money they have (Hello City, PSG, Newcastle as classic examples) and Musk would definitely be one of them, though that's a personal thing, not moral like those examples. Whether or not you think it's better or worse is up to you.

I see Ronny is making more vague tweets/statements about what's going to happen. Just go mate. Take less money and go. It's best for everyone.

I doubt Glazers will ever sell United. It's a golden egg laying goose for them. And despite the club's poor run, they still are globally popular and commercially profitable.

I agree that Ronaldo needs to go. But I really doubt if that will happen this window. No club wants him at that age and on those wages. Plus reading today, that even the Galzers want him to stay for commercial reasons.

Now that FDJ is almost off the table, the Rabiot deal is bizarre. You lot are only inviting another clown in your circus.

Really crazy how United didn't go for Bissouma.

I think Ten Haag probably regrets going there. The City job would be available in couple of years, and he could have instead continued to improve his reputation at Ajax before going to Etihad instead.

Kinda feel bad for the guy. He looked shocked on the touchline against Brentford.

I doubt Glazers will ever sell United. It's a golden egg laying goose for them. And despite the club's poor run, they still are globally popular and commercially profitable.
Agreed to an extent, I can see them selling parts but still being the major shareholder. I've been saying so for years. It makes them huge amounts of money and, as football is a cash game, there's plenty of liquidity too which allows them to buy/fund/advance other ventures as and when necessary.

I agree that Ronaldo needs to go. But I really doubt if that will happen this window. No club wants him at that age and on those wages. Plus reading today, that even the Galzers want him to stay for commercial reasons.
Again, I mostly agree. But I just can't get past the fact it's good for everyone and, as the deadline draws close, someone will panic and pull the trigger?

Of course the Glazer's want him. He's money in the bank and keeps United topical and in the news/SM more, keeping the profile of the club higher than the current results will. For what their aiming for, he's perfect.

Now that FDJ is almost off the table, the Rabiot deal is bizarre. You lot are only inviting another clown in your circus.
I'm more drawn on this one. I agree that he's more trouble than he's worth. But, I also know he's a quality player, but I don't know how ETH would want to play him as I can't see how he works unless he thinks he can do something else with him.

IReally crazy how United didn't go for Bissouma.
Yep. But then, it's been crazy at United for most of the Glazer's reign. It's what happens when you come into a top club, strip it of anything which doesn't directly make money (scouting networks, backroom staff, women's team and everything else) coast along with aging players (Fergie always said they'd get him whoever he asked for, but we knew that was bull just by looking at the difference in his buys from when the Glazer's came in) and then lose the figurehead who'd spent 30 years keeping it all together. It was always going to fall apart once he left, but if people knew what they were doing, it could've been righted by now.

II think Ten Haag probably regrets going there. The City job would be available in couple of years, and he could have instead continued to improve his reputation at Ajax before going to Etihad instead.
I don't know about that. I think City would've wanted him to move and be successful elsewhere before taking him on. United have only really done it because there wasn't much choice (to their way of thinking) but in a perfect world, he'd have gone and proved himself in one of the top 5 league before making a move for him.

IKinda feel bad for the guy. He looked shocked on the touchline against Brentford.
He shouldn't be. Disappointed but not shocked. Though it did feel a bit like RR's 2nd or 3rd game, where he's starting to realise that they can't do what he wants them too and so is going to have to find a halfway house until he can get some of them out and players in who can. I did wonder if he was seriously regretting allowing Henderson to go on loan for the season though. If you're going to insist on playing out from the back then, as much as United fans love the guy, De Gea has to go because he simply cannot do it. Never has and probably never will. Top teams play out with a keeper who's good with his feet and a forward who presses. We've got top quality at both ends but neither of them can do what's required by most elite teams (which is why getting rid of Ronaldo hasn't happened yet)

Casemiro? Really? Great player and I don't care how much he costs, but it does look (once again) as if they're trying to get someone 'big' in to appease the fans, rather than following a plan. (Maybe with one eye on Liverpool next on the slate?) Probably because I don't think there is a plan and I do wonder who is making the decisions? Is it the same person, in which case I'd say get some one else to do it. Or a committee or their taking turns like penalties (you miss, I'll take the next one.) Don't get me wrong, he'll improve our team and midfield no end (and I don't care he's only coming for the money, cos that's where we are now and you either do this or scout well and bring in younger players and wait/hope that they'll become the player you think they will) but can he work at his best in an ETH midfield? I don't watch Spanish football, but I've heard more than few think he's on the downward slide. Maybe it was just a poor year and, at 30, you'd expect him to still have a few years at the top. Of course, we've had a couple of players about to sign who didn't, so I won't get excited until he's signed. But as a player and a name, it's a top signing. But you have to wonder about a man of 30 leaving the current La Liga and CL winners for this United side while he's still the #1 choice for that team. For Real it's a no brainer, surely?

World Class signing, mate. Even at his age. He is leaving because his game time will be limited with the arrival of Tchouaméni at Real Madrid. And Camavinga showed last season, that he is also ready for a starting berth as well.

Casemiro is the perfect signing for United. Solves probably your biggest problem, which is midfield. Also Fred pairs well with him, so much so that he starts ahead of Fabinho for Brazil alongside Casemiro.

Now imagine Eriksen with these two Brazilians, in a midfield three. For once in a long while United are signing a proper player, even if they are massively overpaying. But it's better that money goes for transfers instead of the Glazers' pockets.

There's a point to United fans???

('grats on the win though - as a lifelong Gooner I'm happy enough if both take turns dropping points )

Knew this lot would get themselves up for us.

On a serious note, fair play to United. They were up for it from the beginning. We worryingly have looked a little jaded right from the preseason. Maybe it's effects of last season.

Injuries haven't helped. Not signing a midfielder has further worsened the problem. This method of only signing our main targets or instead waiting cost us a season, when the club didn't replace Lovren and the other CBs got injured.

After missing out on Tchouaméni, to not go for Bellingham is probably going to cost us this season.

At least Elliott and Carvalho look promising.

First sacking of the season in Parker.

Sums up modern day ownership. Looks more do with his demands for transfers rather than his output, cause what did they expect to get against City, Arsenal and LFC. He won against Villa.

Even though they dropped points against Villa, and frankly should have lost considering that Coutinho goal wasn't offside, I still believe it's City's title to lose.

Arsenal won't keep up with them, once Europe starts. Chelsea and Spurs still need few more signings to match up.

As for us. We have signed a useless lump up top, but I don't think we will have issues with our attack. In Salah, Jota, Diaz, Bobby and Carvalho we have plenty of options.

Our main problem is that we have no functioning midfield when one of Thiago and Fabinho is injured. It's clear for everyone to see that we need at least two midfielders.

Even the manager and Julian Ward knew it, and they tried to sign Tchouaméni. But my issue is that, when he went to Madrid, why didn't we sign someone else. Or use that Nunez money on Bellingham or someone else instead.

And speaking of Bellingham, I don't think it's a given he signs for LFC next season. Imagine Bernardo finally leaves for Barcelona, then I see City snapping him. I bet even Madrid will make an attempt. LFC won't match the wages these clubs will offer.

It's a shame the owners are wasting a top quality manager and prime years of several world class players.

I've stayed quiet since the Liverpool win because that's a game United should always get up for, but three wins since (though two of the performances weren't that good) has me thinking this could be the beginning. Not of a challenge or anything, but of getting back on track. The summer business has been good (if slow, unnecessarily expensive and scattershot showing there's still a real lack of direction at the top) but I think we've ended up with both quality and improvement. The real cause for my optimism though is the EtH is doing it his way, which is the least I want for any manager. if you're going to be shit and get sacked, at least do it because you thought it was the right way to do it. Dropping Maguire and Ronaldo should be obvious to most, but to actually be the person who has to do it and do it puts a marker down for what you want. Not just for a game as a show of strength, but to actually do it because you think (rightly IMO) that it's right for what you want to do and how you want to play. As I've said before, I believe it's one of the big reasons OGS went as he did, because he wouldn't/couldn't do it (or was deluded enough to think he could make it work) and had to throw out everything he and his team had been thinking and doing all summer on the last day of the transfer window last summer.

United will still play badly. They'll still lose. That's football and life in general. But if they're all being lead by someone who knows what he wants and has the means to do it, it's the start of the right path and that will, hopefully, lead to success.

I have to think it would be very difficult for Potter to pass this up. And while it's unclear if the owner knows how to run a football club (which has its own special ecosystem), he's done well enough at baseball.

It's a shame in a way, though, because with Potter I think Brighton had a very decent chance at getting into Europe for next season.

I agree about Potter. A really good manager and someone I would've been happy to see at United. As I believe I said at the time, were it not that he's English and at Brighton, I think we (and other top clubs) would've taken the chance to get him before now. I for one will be really interested to see how he does.

Bad night for Liverpool fans. Good night for me though. I wonder if the talk about Klopp's 7 year itch will get stronger. If they don't get it together once a few of the injuries return, this could be a watershed season for Liverpool.

Richarlison to the rescue, but it remains to be seen if Conte can wring a trophies out of these nitwits before wearing out his welcome. And with the league a(n almost) foregone conclusion and the CL out of reach (barring a miracle) it's gotta be the league or FA cup.

I agree about Potter. A really good manager and someone I would've been happy to see at United. As I believe I said at the time, were it not that he's English and at Brighton, I think we (and other top clubs) would've taken the chance to get him before now. I for one will be really interested to see how he does.

Bad night for Liverpool fans. Good night for me though. I wonder if the talk about Klopp's 7 year itch will get stronger. If they don't get it together once a few of the injuries return, this could be a watershed season for Liverpool.

More to do with the penny pinching bastards in US than Klopp.

Was coming and expected.
We haven't rebuilt our midfield since selling Gini. Milner is passed it. Hendo is ageing. Keita is made of glass.

Without Fab and Thiago playing together we look poor. Elliott has been a pleasant surprise, but he is still young and needs time.

We will probably need two-three midfielders next season.

Also, don't understand this new found obsession of playing Salah wide. He is wasted there. He has cut inside only few times this season. And this tactic is not working at all.

And, yes, we probably will have a bad season. I will be happy with top four and a good cup run.

Such a shame it didn't happen last night. While there's a chance it always feels like they'll do it and Inter are the Italian Spurs. If there's an Italian giant which can lose a game like that, it's Inter.