Wolfgang Petersen dead at 81

Tools    

Loved his 1981 movie Das Boot. RIP Mr Petersen.

Das Boot is definitely the classic, but you can't discount In the Line of Fire and Air Force One, two major contributions to the dad movie canon.

R.I.P.

The trick is not minding
Loved his 1981 movie Das Boot. RIP Mr Petersen.
I just watched it recently for the first time, having been on my watchlist for well over a decade, and I loved it. I’ve been a fan of his American films growing up, so it was nice to see his German film that helped launch his fame. Still need to see One or the Other and Four Against the Bank from his native country, and of course, finish out what few American films I haven’t seen yet: Poseidon and Shattered.

The trick is not minding
Das Boot is definitely the classic, but you can't discount In the Line of Fire and Air Force One, two major contributions to the dad movie canon.

R.I.P.
Yes, absolutely. Although it’s been so long I need to rewatch Air Force One. Did that have Steven Segal in it? I might confusing it with another movie. 🤔

I know I may be in the minority, but I actually enjoyed Troy quite a bit. Maybe even Outbreak? Another I should rewatch.

Yes, absolutely. Although it’s been so long I need to rewatch Air Force One. Did that have Steven Segal in it? I might confusing it with another movie. 🤔

I know I may be in the minority, but I actually enjoyed Troy quite a bit. Maybe even Outbreak? Another I should rewatch.
You're thinking of Executive Decision, the Die Hard on a plane movie with David Suchet as an Arab terrorist.

Air Force One is the Die Hard on a plane movie with Gary Oldman as a "neocommunist".

The trick is not minding
You're thinking of Executive Decision, the Die Hard on a plane movie with David Suchet as an Arab terrorist.

Air Force One is the Die Hard on a plane movie with Gary Oldman as a "neocommunist".

Damn. They’re kind of blending together. I remember Oldman. Which one had Kurt Russel? Executive Decision, right? Air Force One had Harrison Ford?

Damn. They’re kind of blending together. I remember Oldman. Which one had Kurt Russel? Executive Decision, right? Air Force One had Harrison Ford?
Correct.

Air Force One is the one where Harrison Ford tells somebody to get off his plane.

The great thing about Executive Decision is it DID have Steven Segal in it... for a little while.

WARNING: "Why I love it..." spoilers below

It was when Segal's character dies shortly into the movie and I realized I still had almost a whole film still ahead of me that would have no Segal in it that I said... "I'm going to LOVE this movie!" and I did!

Solid action director. I just realized I've seen most of his stuff and really enjoyed most of it. RIP.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
R.I.P
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

Liked all the movies I saw of his from Das Boot and beyond. I thought The Perfect Storm was also a very good film and although the end was spoiled for me (the previews didn't exactly hide the fact) I still liked it a lot. Godspeed, Wolfgang.