The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I usually just wait for the countdown to end before revealing my list, but a couple of movies on my list were mentioned, so I thought I would just give a shout out to a couple of my favorite comedies that didn't make the countdown.

Don't forget Chan in another 80s classic, The Cannonball Run.

Ok, it's shit, but I still love it anyway.

The Cannonball Run was #17 on my list. Between Roger Moore spoofing himself as James Bond, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr. as fake priests, Jack Elam as the crazy doctor, and Burt Reynolds with his usual charm, this movie is a laugh riot, but Dom DeLuise steals the movie as Captain Chaos.

Chevy Chase wound up with three titles on the list: Caddyshack (#25), National Lampoon's Vacation (#55), and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (#80). While he has other worthy flicks that most surely got a couple votes, including Foul Play, ¡Three Amigos!, Funny Farm, and maybe even Seems Like Old Times, the one I voted for and mistakenly thought was a near-lock to place somewhere on the collective Top 100 was Fletch (1985).

Seems Like Old Times was # 12 on my list. It's a movie that makes me laugh from start to finish, especially the final courtroom scene. The 3-way love triangle of Chevy Chase, Goldie Hawn, and Charles Grodin is so much fun to watch, and the supporting cast just adds to the fun.

I will probably get some heat for this, but for someone who didn't grow up on Ghostbusters nor was alive when it came out, I found it to be a pretty tough watch to get through.

I can definitely see people loving this if they saw it when it came out or grew up in the 80s maybe, but for me it was a miss. The tone was 80s but also very off and the mixture of horror, comedy, family adventure and sexist humor was a weird one to be sure. I didn't find it very funny, I though it was pretty uneven and at times I thought it was even pretty pathetic. I think the concept is quite cool though. I guess that's also why - and get ready for more heat - I enjoyed the sequel more.

This entry is probably the one I disagree the most with so far. I wouldn't exactly mind it on this list, but almost cracking the top five that's pretty darn high for this one. I also do realize that I'm in the minority of not really liking this.

________

Instead of just busting up the recent entry and disappearing from this thread like a ghost, I might as well use the almost-at-top-five to look back at my list and where we are at so far:

1. Hot Fuzz (2007) #12
2. gonna make it
3. not gonna make it
4. not gonna make it
5. not gonna make it
6. not gonna make it
7. Superbad (2007) #39
8. not gonna make it
9. not gonna make it
10. Snatch (2000) #74
11. not gonna make it
12. not gonna make it
13. The Gold Rush (1925) #84
14. Big Trouble in Little China (1986) #73

15. not gonna make it
16. not gonna make it
17. not gonna make it
18. Sherlock, Jr. (1924) #57
19. not gonna make it
20. not gonna make it
21. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006) #42
22. not gonna make it
23. doubt is gonna make it
24. not gonna make it
25. The Fate of the Furious (2017) one-pointer

Considering this came out in 2019 that may very well be the case - and neither of the two movies I included which came out in the 2010s made it (I don't think any 2010s movie made it.)
#70. The Nice Guys (2016)
#62. It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012)
#31. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

Love Ghostbusters but because it's a 'comedy hybrid' as explained in a previous post, I have it at #63.

#19 "Teachers" (1984)

This film is the polar opposite of the feel good '80s teen romps. It covers all the little bad things that are never or rarely mentioned during this era. Hence why I love its darkness and and can find the funny.
Hah I forgot about Teachers, the 80's were even cooler than I remember, thanks for refreshing my memory with that post..

My gut... is leaving me with three possibilities again, which numerically gets less impressive as there are fewer and fewer and fewer movies left.

I'm ruling out Grail and Strangelove.
Leaving Lebowski, Airplane!, And Young Frankenstein. Which is, I guess my ranking of how likely I think they're going to be the next entry (from most likely to least likely).

Since I at least predicted which five movies would be in the Top Five I'll stick with that guess of the order...

1. Airplane!
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. Young Frankenstein
4. The Big Lebowski
5. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Forrest Gump is not a very good film anyway, so lets hope it's nowhere near this countdown.
Quoted for truth!

Forrest Gump is not a very good film anyway, so lets hope it's nowhere near this countdown.
That was harsh. I quite enjoyed Forrest's travels. There are some funny bits, which seems to qualify and that's why it would be around #80- #100 on my list.

446 points, 30 lists
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Director

Terry Jones, 1975

Starring

Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam

Reply to Topic