The butterfly effect, a different ending?

Tools    

Finished seeing the butterfly effect for the second time and i've completed my theory about how it SHOULD have ended.

WARNING: spoilers below

Well as we know the movie ends as kutcher goes back in time just one last time to stop it ALL from happening, and then we have our ****in' a' of a happy ending. More like a romantic ending that the average viewer would want and like. (by average viewer i mean the less sophisticated one). According to this ending, kutcher's illness is NOT just in his mind and he actually CAN go back in time, change everything etc'

The ending should have been (according to me)

The Doc tells kutcher that he made up an a mental illness that does not exist. NOTHING of what he wrote in his journals ever existed (only in his mind ofcourse). And that those were only alternate universes created to fictate a reality in which kalleigh does not die. *END*

(the doc ever telling him to write a journal is also kutcher's fiction)

This would denote that the scene mentioned should have been grand and would make kind of a catharsis, much like how memento ended, sorta.

This would cause everything to make senes, since now all the time jumps never occured, thus they couldn't be argued about, saying that "time jumping" is a contradiction in term. (the endless discussion about how time jumping can't make sense whatsoever in this movie).

This ending is probably sadder, and might make the average viewer feel bad about the movie, but thats the way I think it should have ended.
On the other hand, you could also say that kutcher's last jump is also a fiction of his imagintion, making the last bit also logical. Happy ending that is, too bad it didn't really took place.
My main point: the only world that ever did exist is the world in which he is in the loony bin and he CAN'T alter history at all, well only in his mind.

Nah, I prefer the original ending. I was never a big fan of watching a movie then finding out it all happened in ones head. Although I didn't mind identity, or even fight club. It just seems too easy to make an entire movie based on one's mental unstability. It takes away from actually trying to figure out the ending from the facts given during the running time of the movie.

We All Go A Little Crazy Sometimes
i havent seen the movie yet, is it any good?

Originally Posted by Psycho
i havent seen the movie yet, is it any good?
You know what? For an ashton kutcher movie I was pleasantly surprised. He for once didn't act like a class clown and actually showed a bit of acting talent. I thought the movie was alright. I give it about a 7 out of 10.

We All Go A Little Crazy Sometimes
Thanks Escape, i think i'll check it out

Originally Posted by Escape
You know what? For an ashton kutcher movie I was pleasantly surprised. He for once didn't act like a class clown and actually showed a bit of acting talent. I thought the movie was alright. I give it about a 7 out of 10.
*POTENTIAL SPOILER*

Except for the part where the doctor is talking to him and he's playing around in his wheelchair. I thought he acted like it was a big joke or something.

*END SPOILER*

Originally Posted by natzo
*POTENTIAL SPOILER*

Except for the part where the doctor is talking to him and he's playing around in his wheelchair. I thought he acted like it was a big joke or something.

*END SPOILER*
Can't remember that part. I'll check it out when I get the DVD.

Originally Posted by Escape
Can't remember that part. I'll check it out when I get the DVD.
I saw this in Janurary so I don't remember exactly where it is. But it's when the doctor's explaining to him and his mother that his brain(?) is growing? Like the part of the brain that controls memory. And his mom is all worried but ashton's doing wheelies on his wheelchair.

i personally really liked butterfly effect i thought kutcher did a really good job and im glad he recovered from the bomb of "my bosses daughter" (if u haven't seen it UR LUCKY!) but the premise of the movie was very good , but i do agree with the lack of acting by the other actors of that movie they did seem kinda fake but what ever . i enjoyed it enough to watch it twice in two days and that almost NEVER happens i work at rogers video and i would recommend this movie to any one
I'll give it a 81/2 out of 10
thanx
Rogers guy

Hi, i have seen this film twice, once at the cinema and once on dvd. both times seeing the same ending where Evan goes to a party and tells Kayley he doesnt want to see her again. Having spoken to some friends who have also seen it at the cinema and on dvd, they tell me there is another ending where Evan dies in the womb. Is one of these a directors cut or something?

the ending with Evan dying in the womb is Directors Cut there is also some extended scenes and new scenes

the other one is the theatrical relase

the movie was awsome and i personally prefer directors cut version its better and has a better ending

I have only seen the directors cut, i was discussing it with a friend and they had seen the theatre version, I think i liked the directors cut where he went back and was still born like the rest of his mothers pregnancies, also she tells me that the scene with the fortuneteller was not in the original film also

I think they already did a movie ending like that… I believe it’s called “A beautiful Mind”.

…it was all in his head.

I saw the theatrical version where he lived and pushed Amy Smart away at his birthday party. I wish I HAD seen t he DC, as it might have satisfied me better. This movie .... I wont even go on....

Originally Posted by Diablo
I think they already did a movie ending like that… I believe it’s called “A beautiful Mind”.

…it was all in his head.
WARNING: "The Butterfly Effect" spoilers below
ummm no he strangled himself with the Umbilical cord in the director's cut.

The director's cut ending was so stupid and depressing it made me want to kill myself.

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by nebbit
No movie is worth dying over
I think he/she was just being melodramatic, your right.....but I don't think that's what he/she meant. =)

Originally Posted by SpoOkY
I think he/she was just being melodramatic, your right.....but I don't think that's what he/she meant. =)
That's why I posted a wink smilie, I knew they were kidding