Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

Jeez this is a weird thread! I'm feeling disorientated cos some of my favourite films are being named in here. What does overrated mean? How can something be the most over rated movie of all time if it's just you that thinks that?

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Jeez this is a weird thread! I'm feeling disorientated cos some of my favourite films are being named in here. What does overrated mean? How can something be the most over rated movie of all time if it's just you that thinks that?
I agree. I think the thread would be more appropriate if it were titled "Movies most people seem to enjoy a whole lot more than I do."

I tend to think the term overrated is a bit over used.

Why's there a gun in your trousers?
I use overrated in the sense that the movie seems to get more credit than it deserves. Now this is just my opinion, obviously I don't have the right to hold my views above yours, but its my opinion that the movies I listed just arent very good, yet seem to be pretty popular (some more than others...see: Armegeddon)

A system of cells interlinked
Armageddon? That's a weird choice to be considered 'overrated'

My top 5 overrated films are:

5: Apocalypse Now
4: Million Dollar Baby
3: Rushmore
2: Citizen Kane
1: The Godfather

*passes out*

Tell me this is joke...

First off, Armageddon is TERRIBLE. Just a piece of overblown crap, and yes, quite overrated.

Meanwhile, You list CITIZEN KANE as being overrated, which is preposterous. It is the single most influential film of all time, and is an absolute masterpiece of cinema. The Godfather? Pretty much technically perfect. Please list why you think it's overrated. While you are at it, why is Armageddon not overrated? Please defend that lackluster piece of celluloid garbage...

I will take this opportunity to help you with one of your Grill a MoFo questions, which is which MoFo do you disagree with the most. That would be me, because your talkin' crazy talk man...crazy talk.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke

10. Titanic
9. A Beautiful Mind
8. Monsters Ball
7. Chicago
6. Braveheart
5. Armageddon
4. Lost in Translation
3. Mystic River
2. Scarface
1. Edward Scissorhands
wow! i think i agree with all of those, except for Lost in Translation, which i really loved. and Scarface... because, er, i didn't bother to see it. but i'm sure it deserves its position.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Suspect, i agree with all of your choices except this--
i totally loved and appreciated that film. i know many think its a bore-fest, though.

I have to agree, I dont understand how anyone could say that The Godfather is overrated. I think it as close to perfect as you can get, but hey to each's own...

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I'm with TUS... it used to be #10 on my top 100... now I moved it just because well....it's not my type of movie...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
To paraphrase Louis Armstrong, "There are two types of movies, the good and the bad. I like the good."

Film Forums.

FiFo.

Sounds like a boring tribute website for this veritable virtual kingdom!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I didn't think Armageddon was good enough to be considered 'overrated'. I never meant for my comment to make it seem like I thought the film was beyond great.

Citizen Kane is one of the most influential films of all time yes, the most? Probably not, but it is up there. But a great technical film does lend it to be the best film of all time (which many people think it is). A film can be good, but can still be overrated, which is why I think you misunderstand my post. In no way am I saying these films are bad.

I place both Citizen Kane & The Godfather as overrated because these two films usually crack most people's top ten lists. I base this list mostly on enjoyment of a film.

As an student filmmaker, I can appreciate both films for what they achieved in terms of technical filmmaking. But I'm sorry, Citizen Kane is a bore to watch. It's movie to watch once, say you like it and never bother with it again.

The Godfather has a lot going for it though, I did enjoy it (more then Kane). I've never seen the sequels, but The Godfather, stands as the biggest overrated film of all time. Ask anyone what they think the best film of all time is (Both these two films come up more often then others).

I guess what I'm saying is when you put films like these on such a high pedestal, it's bound to be called overrated.

Suspect's Reviews

I am having a nervous breakdance
Hmmm.... Although I love them both, I would say that The Godfather and Citizen Kane are perfect examples of overrated films. Aren't films you view as overrated supposed to be regarded as masterpieces by just about everybody else? I think I can shake out a handful of people who yawned their way through both The Godfather and Citizen Kane. Armageddon on the other hand isn't overrated since the majority of movielovers thinks it sucks. Unless you think it's underrated.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I just think quantifying "overratedness" is like flying blind. What "instruments" are you using to base your opinion. What scale does someone have that I don't know about. Or, maybe, more specifically, where do you keep your dipstick? Expressing opinions about the Emperor's New Clothes or calling something no longer relevant is fine, but then claiming that something is the "most overrated" seems to not be what you mean. Maybe this thread should just be titled SACRILEGE. That might be more accurate.

This is still beyond comprehension. So The Godfather is on a lot of people's best films list , so it's over rated?

Is there a scratching head smilie here?

What I think makes a film overrated is when its held in such high regard, when in reality, or at least in my opinion, does not deserve to be (like Edward Scissorhands or Titanic)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If a film is regarded as the best film of all time and you watch it and find it good, but not amazingly great....I think you would call it overrated.