2022 Film Challenge

Tools    

Also answers to Jabba
As an added consideration, and a much more straightforward question:
The plan is to bench the 'watch 10 films from the same country' challenge for a year and replace it with a somewhat similar country-focused challenge. I was hesitant to keep both because I don't want nightmare mode to be too heavy on one theme, but I see that, much like myself, a lot of you seem to enjoy this challenge. Would you like me to keep both the original and the variation next year (and de facto filling up that extra slot I have had pending in nightmare mode)?

The trick is not minding
As an added consideration, and a much more straightforward question:
The plan is to bench the 'watch 10 films from the same country' challenge for a year and replace it with a somewhat similar country-focused challenge. I was hesitant to keep both because I don't want nightmare mode to be too heavy on one theme, but I see that, much like myself, a lot of you seem to enjoy this challenge. Would you like me to keep both the original and the variation next year (and de facto filling up that extra slot I have had pending in nightmare mode)?
I’d be interested in trying both, but I’m also curious what you mean by the “similar country-focused” challenge. Is it more centered around a continent i.e. 10 from Asia or 10 from Europe or is it similar the normal category challenge where it is divided further by regions i.e 10 from The Balkans or 10 from Scandinavia?

Welcome to the human race...
I'm hoping that list gets revamped sometime in the near future. It honestly feels more like a group of people struggled to name 100 movies directed by women. What Women Want? The Holiday?! And the lack of Eve's Bayou is criminal.
Yeah, I definitely got that feeling as well. It had maybe the lowest turn-out of any countdown hosted on this site and a good chunk of those votes were partial ballots (which explains why Lost in Translation won the #1 spot over American Psycho by well over 100 points in a list where the low end of the list barely cracked 30 points overall) so a lot of it did boil down to people voting for a handful of the most high-profile female directors (which explains why Nancy Meyers cracked the list more times than Agnes Varda, Kelly Reichardt, Chantal Akerman, Claire Denis, even Jane Campion). I do think there have been enough high-profile films by such directors since the list came out that you could probably redo it and get some more interesting picks, but there wasn't that much enthusiasm for it the first time around so I have to wonder how announcing a new countdown would go down.

but there wasn't that much enthusiasm for it the first time around so I have to wonder how announcing a new countdown would go down.
While kind of depressing, I also find this utterly unsurprising. I mean, if comedies have a hard time inspiring 25 title lists, what hope did women directors have?

But in all sincerity, the Eve's Bayou thing totally baffles me. It was critically well-received, I feel like I've always heard ranging positive opinions about it (from like to love). I don't get it.

The trick is not minding
Update: 9/27. I am way behind this.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Update: 9/27. I am way behind this.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  
I'm not WAY behind, but it seems like it's been a long time since i watched anything that fills a slot here. And it's only going to get worse when October arrives. Guess I'll be cramming in Nov and Dec

The trick is not minding
I'm not WAY behind, but it seems like it's been a long time since i watched anything that fills a slot here. And it's only going to get worse when October arrives. Guess I'll be cramming in Nov and Dec
Same. There are a few films from Miike’s filmography (my chosen director for this challenge) that I can watch In October that would help cut it down some, but come November and December I will be cramming the rest.

September 28 (Moving edition):

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

So per the conversation above, I took a look at the Directed by Women list, and I thought it would be interesting to see if I could on my own make a complete list of Top 100 films directed by women. The results were not great! To simplify things, I limited myself to only feature films directed solely by a woman. This did eliminate a few potentially valid entires (like The Matrix), but at best we're talking about a handful of films. Anyway, under those restrictions it turns out that if I listed every single film I've seen directed by a (single) woman, I'd have a list of 87 movies. That's out of 2,000 movies (more or less) that I've seen over the years.

I'm going to cut myself a little bit of slack here--it's not a secret that the industry has been terrible about promoting women, so just by chance you're likely to see considerably fewer films made by women than men. I haven't gone out of my way to avoid movies directed by women, though I also haven't particularly sought them out. Still, 87 seems like a really small number! It's less than 5% of all the films I've seen! But I don't know if my result would be typical for a frequent movie-watcher or not.

Anyway, my point here, other than calling myself out, is that it does seem like a list worth revisting, possibly with, er, a little extra lead time to give us a chance to stock up.

Here we go again! The 5th annual film challenge is here so start planning your viewings accordingly. I wanted to give this a bit of a shake-up so new categories have been added and a few classics have been put on the bench this year. I am always available for any clarifications and do let me know if you see any mistakes. I have given the more obscure categories a quick search to make sure they are somewhat widely available, but if you still have trouble tracking down a film, let me know.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Important Notes:
  • The challenge officially starts on January 1st 2022, so start updating your lists with films you watch after that date.
  • How you count films is up to you. This is not a contest and it is up to each and every one to decide how they want to do this. I would suggest going for one film per category either in the main challenge or in nightmare mode, preferably films you watched for the first time this year, but that's just me.
  • In order for everyone to be able to effortlessly scroll down the page, I would suggest wrapping your updates in collapsible text, like in this post.
Have fun watching films this year!

Ideas for Categories:

Per your request, I will add here some examples/ideas for certain categories.

Victorian novels  

Romanticism novels  

Modernist novels  

Postmodernist novels  

Black and White films post 2000  
Wow I thought I was a movie buff until seeing this challenge

Also answers to Jabba
Wow I thought I was a movie buff until seeing this challenge
We do this every year so you are more than welcome to join us. You should see how different (aka more basic) this looked 5 years ago.