What are you listening to while you're MoFoin' it?

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Christy Moore - My little Honda 50

It's funny when you hear a song sung by two different people in a short space of time. One becomes lowest common denominator good time 'farmers' music' and the other appears on serious(ish) folk shows.

&feature=related

Maybe if Christy had done a hilarious video (and OD'd on synth accordions) like this he'd be sung by blokes in tractors too.

So REM are now an ex-band.

What with New Order finally dying (that they played a few gigs without Hooky means nothing to me) a few years ago I guess this means I'm an orphan.

As with a lot of people, the first time I heard REM was with The One I Love in 1987 but the first album I bought was Green in 1988. Green also has the honour of being the first CD (along with Lou Reed's Transformer) I ever bought, a year later.

I saw them live 4 or 5 times over the years.

Here are some of my favourites.

&ob=av2n

"Put your lights on" by Santana (not my CD, though)

My intro to R.E.M. was "1,000,000".
&feature=fvsr
That's only because you're 40!

I was rooting through a drawer the other day and came across Chronic Town and Eponymous (their IRS Best Of) on cassette. And Prince's Lovesexy.

As a band, REM seemed to go off the boil for me after New Adventures in Hi-Fi but their last couple of albums were big steps back in the right direction. I'm pretty sure Buck has said more than once that they'd quit before they got too stale and, most importantly, while they were still friends.

I guess they followed though on that.

1,000,000 won't display in my area sadly. YouTube seems to be getting increasingly picky.

"What's your favourite piece of Isle of Lewis mouth music, Tatty?"

I'm sure that most of you roll out of bed in the morning, that question dangling from your lips.

The answer is this:

The Vices Set - Alyth McCormack

Awful sound quality, by the way, so check out the song on her MySpace page - Link

Not only is this (it's about drinking and smoking too much, apparently - my Scots Gallic isn't what it was) my favourite piece of Isle of Lewis mouth music, it's one of the greatest things I've ever heard. But I'm funny like that.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
So REM are now an ex-band.
I could never understand why Bill Rieflin was playing with them.

Ministry - Breathe