The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Yeah, you're not actually Psychic, Sexy, and I'm not posting more movies today.
HE'S NOT!?!?!?!?!?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I find losing power strange. I've lost power, but its always in the middle of the night. And we are never predicted to potentially lose power, it just happens

Yeah, you're not actually Psychic, Sexy, and I'm not posting more movies today.
Oh, well thank you for calling me "sexy." Women always find me irresistible, even at my age. I can't date you, though, as I've made it a rule to only date women with names that start with the letter I. You'll have to change your name to Miss Icky first.

You really should reconsider posting two more movies. In fact, you should post a lot more than that. After tomorrow, you're going to get mononucleosis, which is the kissing disease -- by the way, don't kiss your rats tonight (though I know you will) -- and anyway, you're going to be cooped up in bed for a few months and you won't be able to do any posting at all. I don't see this countdown continuing until April. So you might as well just post the rest of the list tonight.

I find losing power strange. I've lost power, but its always in the middle of the night. And we are never predicted to potentially lose power, it just happens
We nearly always lose power during severe storms. It's not the weather forecasters predicting that; it's my own prediction based on experience.

Didn't Psychic Isaac die?
I heard something called "The Sexy Curse" tried to get me, and it did, and it also got Dorothy Michaels, too... I went to Heaven and all that. Met a ton of celebrities. Slept with Joan Rivers. Slapped Robin Williams (can't believe what he did!) Got slapped by Deadite.

But... weirdly, something in the space/time continuum changed (or something like that?) and now we're both back and alive again. I dunno. It happens. I've seen this happen a lot of times, actually. One minute I'm chatting with a ghost, the next day I'm in the supermarket and they're a living person again. Strange universe.

I was disappointed to see Vincent didn't make the list. Was glad to see others liked it. Quite a clever little film.

Funny that Tarzan and A Bug's Life were next to each other on the list, as they were next to each other on my list, #97 and #98, respectively. I kind of figured that they would list low as there are so many animated movies to choose from. I almost had Mulan on my list, but like I said...so many to choose from, so it just barely missed the cut.

82. Lilo & Stitch - Voting Stats

Total Points: 63
Part of a Numeric Tie? Yes, tied with 5 Centimeters Per Second, Mulan and The Wind Rises. It had the same number of votes as Mulan, but its 6th Place vote puts it higher on the list.
7 Votes: 6th Place (20 pts.), 15th Place (11 pts.), 16th Place (10 pts.), 18th Place (8 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.), Two 22nd Place (4 pts. each)

81. Ponyo - Voting Stats

Total Points: 65
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
5 Votes: 1st Place (25 pts.), 10th Place (16 pts.), 17th Place (9 pts.), 18th Place (8 pts.), 19th Place (7 pts.)

Lilo & Stitch was my #22 vote.

It's really funny and touching and cute. The animation is gorgeous and I could relate to Lilo's struggles to fit in and find friends. It's definitely one of Disney's better works and I highly recommend it.

Such a long time since I watched Lilo & Stitch! Used to watch the series as well so I kind of mix it all up and it's hard to distinguish the two from each other... Might have to give it a go again soon as I didn't get around to it during the animated binge-watching...

Ponyo is cute, but I find it to be one of the weaker studio ghibli films.
I agree with this... Cute movie, beautiful animation as always from Ghibli, but it needed a bit more if it was to put on my list.

And again, the layout and artworks are beautiful, Miss Vicky! Makes the list so much more enjoyable to follow!

Lord High Filmquisitor
Two great movies for today, even of I found it incredibly strange that Ponyo beat out The Wind Rises..

Two great movies for today, even of I found it incredibly strange that Ponyo beat out The Wind Rises..
The Wind Rises is a very recent film so maybe that's the case? Personally I never got around to TWR for that reason.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

82. Lilo & Stitch - Voting Stats

Total Points: 63
Part of a Numeric Tie? Yes, tied with 5 Centimeters Per Second, Mulan and The Wind Rises. It had the same number of votes as Mulan, but its 6th Place vote puts it higher on the list.
7 Votes: 6th Place (20 pts.), 15th Place (11 pts.), 16th Place (10 pts.), 18th Place (8 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.), Two 22nd Place (4 pts. each)

I was the one who had Lilo and Stitch in 6th place. I'm glad to see that my list actually was the one that made the difference for this movie.

I love everything about Stitch: The character, this movie, the sequels, and the TV series. I wanted to include a couple of the Stitch movies on my list, but I just didn't have room to include everything that I wanted to include, so I narrowed it down to my favorite Stitch movie, which is the original movie that introduced the characters. (Stitch! The Movie is my second favorite Stitch movie because it introduced his cousins.)

81. Ponyo - Voting Stats

Total Points: 65
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
5 Votes: 1st Place (25 pts.), 10th Place (16 pts.), 17th Place (9 pts.), 18th Place (8 pts.), 19th Place (7 pts.)

I watched a bunch of Japanese animations for this list, and Ponyo was one of my favorites, but it didn't make my list.

Unfortunately I found that most of the Japanese animations were either too dark and/or disturbing for me, or they kind of blended together in my mind, making it hard to distinguish one from another. Ponyo was one of the movies that stood out in my mind, and I considered it for my list, but it just didn't make my final list.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
This is a broken record, but I like both, I recommend both, but I didn't vote for either. I apparently haven't posted about Lilo and Stitch here before, but it does have one wild and crazy sense of humor. Here are my thoughts about Ponyo:
Ponyo (Hayao Miyazaki, 2008)

Incredibly-colorful Miyazaki masterpiece about so many things which are impossible to describe is still a wonderful tale to reflect upon and savor in a world which is just not all that full of wonder without his incredible stories. This one is somehow criticized for being more on the childish side than normal but that all depends on what the viewer brings to the magical table. Considering that much of it is based on Wagner's The Ring Cycle, I find that difficult to accept. Somehow this classic received no Oscar nomination.