Golden Age Comedy Hall of Fame (1952-1976)

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
They say the Sherlock Holmes scene was deleted, although I swear I saw it in a televised version (whether it was on regular TV, a cable channel or PBS, I don't remember). Maybe they stuck the scene back in for certain versions of the movie. And the scene can be seen on YouTube also.

I watched the scene on YouTube, and I'm sure that I've seen it before. It's not on the DVD, so it must have been on a televised version.

What's Up, Doc? (1972)

This is one of those movies that I seem to like more and more each time I watch it. I've always been a fan of the old screwball comedies, so I think the issue for me has been Barbra Streisand. I love her voice when she sings, but in the movies, I usually find her characters pushy and annoying. While I still think her character, (Judy), in this movie is pushy and annoying, somehow it seems to work in this movie, and it actually makes Judy more and more likable as the movie goes on.

On the flip side, Ryan O'Neal's character, (Howard), is basically a stiff "stuffed shirt" at the beginning of the movie, but Judy's antics seem to loosen him up as the movie progresses.

The movie starts off kind of slow, and it takes a while for the movie to pick up the pace, but once we get to the scene with the fire in the hotel room, the movie goes full-speed ahead, and there's no turning back. From the car chase to the courtroom scene, it was just one long laugh riot.

It's interesting to see how much overlap there is with the actors in the the movies that were nominated in this HoF. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the supporting actors from this movie in the two Mel Brooks movies that were also nominated in this HoF.

The Odd Couple (1968)

This is twice now that I've seen Neil Simon's 1968 comedy hit, The Odd Couple...and both times I didn't find it funny. I mean there's nothing much funny about suicide, which was a big part of the film's first act. And suicide jokes are an integral part of the entire movie...and the driving force behind Felix Unger's neurotic suicidal character. I found Jack Lemmon's Felix, annoying. He was much more grating than funny. Oscar's bullying of Felix just turned the negative energy way up. I mean Walter Matthau brings an aggressive ugliness to the character of Oscar Madison, that makes him unpalatable. Did I mention how gross that poker table was? With the pile of smoldering garbage, Ugh!

I want to feel happy when I'm watching a comedy and the only time I did was when the kooky Pigeon sisters came for a dinner date. That's when the movie got better for me and that's because Felix stopped being so annoying and Oscar stopped being such a brute. But why in the hell would Felix cook lowly meatloaf for a dinner date? And as persnickety as Felix is, why didn't he know to turn off the stove so the meatloaf wouldn't burn to a crisp? And while he was cleaning everything in sight, he forgot to clean those filthy apartment walls!

I did however like the way the movie wrapped things up as it ended on a positive note for Felix. I mean he gets to stay with the Pigeon sisters, hopefully he doesn't drive them to suicide...and Oscar realized Felix was his best friend after all.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.png
Views:	771
Size:	391.1 KB
ID:	56501  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Did you ever watch the TV show with Tony Randall and Jack Klugman, CR?

Did you ever watch the TV show with Tony Randall and Jack Klugman, CR?
All the time and what I liked about the show was that Tony Randall's Felix was a neat freak, BUT he seemed to be comfortable in his own skin. Where as Jack Lemmon's Felix seemed to hate himself. And Jack Klugman's Oscar was a lovable grouch, where Walter Matthau's Oscar is an outright antagonistic.

I love reading reviews on IMDB, some of those are the funniest. This is an excerpt of a review for The Odd Couple. I have no idea who wrote it, but I thought it was funny.

The Odd Couple (1968)

Just caught some of it on late-night TV, and one thing -- nit picky, but it drove me nuts (my inner Felix Ungar?) -- is when Felix is cooking dinner for Oscar and two ditsy Pidgeon sisters.

The whole thing is predicated on Oscar coming home "late" -- by about 30 minutes -- and Felix's meatloaf is "ruined". In fact, we see it later as a flaming charcoal briquette....why not turn the heat OFF?

This is the kind of departure from reality that makes me crazy in films. Meatloaf is about the easiest, most relaxed food on earth. It keeps for HOURS -- even DAYS -- once cooked, you can eat it COLD (it's delicious -- try it some time!). You can cook it and reheat it, and if anything, the flavor is even better having mellowed.

There is no way, not even for a nut like Felix, that a meatloaf would have to be served instantly or "go bad". For starters: after cooking, the meat must "rest" for 20 minutes or so.

On top of that: when he goes shopping....and the whole premise is they are eating at home to "save money"...Felix goes to the butcher and orders FOUR POUNDS of freshly ground beef. Good lordy! Neil Simon clearly never cooked a meatloaf in his life, nor even bothered to look up a recipe! FOUR POUNDS! that would make enough meatloaf for a dozen people, with leftovers.

Meatloaf is a classic Depression-era recipe intended to STRETCH a very small amount of ground meat - with fillers, bread crumbs, chopped veggies, beaten eggs, etc. -- so that a pound of meat or LESS could feed a family. A meatloaf that was "all beef" would be greasy, heavy and terrible.

It makes no sense for two "broke bachelor's" trying to save money on a dinner date, to buy FOUR POUNDS of ground beef (even at 1967 prices). Even considering how eccentric Felix is - - how OCD -- the way he's cooking this, and acting like a meatloaf is a fragile soufflé, just makes zero sense.

NOTE: as a broke young woman years ago, I used to be able to concoct a full sized -- and delicious! -- meatloaf from one scant HALF POUND of ground beef, bolstered with a lot of add-ins like bread crumbs and beaten egg, and a few secret ingredients. I will happily supply that recipe -- Lily"s Famous Meatloaf" on request to anyone interested!
Ha! I love it, all that about meatloaf! I hate meatloaf BTW

I love reading reviews on IMDB, some of those are the funniest. This is an excerpt of a review for The Odd Couple. I have no idea who wrote it, but I thought it was funny.

Ha! I love it, all that about meatloaf! I hate meatloaf BTW
Ah, but what if it was meatloaf on a pizza?

or is that simply hamburger topping at that point?. . .

The Odd Couple (1968)

This is twice now that I've seen Neil Simon's 1968 comedy hit, The Odd Couple...and both times I didn't find it funny. I mean there's nothing much funny about suicide, which was a big part of the first act. And suicide jokes are a big part of the entire movie and the driving force behind Felix Unger's neurotic character. I found Jack Lemmon's Felix, annoying and he was more grating than funny. Oscar's bullying of Felix just turned the negative energy way up. I mean Walter Matthau brings an aggressive ugliness to the character of Oscar Madison, that makes him unpalatable. Did I mention how gross that poker table was? Ugh!

I want to feel happy when I'm watching a comedy and the only time I did was when the kooky Pigeon sisters came for a dinner date. That's when the movie got better for me and that's because Felix stopped being so annoying and Oscar stopped being such a brute. But why in the hell would Felix cook lowly meatloaf for a dinner date? And as persnickety as Felix is, why didn't he know to turn off the stove so the meatloaf wouldn't burn to a crisp? And while he was cleaning everything in sight, he forgot to clean those filthy walls!

I did however like the way the movie wrapped things up as it ended on a positive note for Felix. I mean he gets to stay with the Pigeon sisters, hopefully he doesn't drive them to suicide!...and Oscar realized Felix was his best friend after all.

I'm not defending the movie because I prefer "The Odd Couple" TV show over the movie too, but you have to remember that the movie is just a short time in their lives that happens right after Felix's wife kicks him out of his house. He's suicidal at this time because he is still in love with his wife. The TV show takes place years after that, when Felix has had time to adjust to his new life without his wife.

Having said that, I usually love Jack Lemmon, but Felix Unger is one of my least favorite of his characters, and Jack Klugman is a much more likable Oscar Madison than Walter Matthau.

....but you have to remember that the movie is just a short time in their lives that happens right after Felix's wife kicks him out of his house. He's suicidal at this time because he is still in love with his wife...
Yes, I already knew that...but it doesn't make the negative atmosphere of the movie any more fun for me to watch.

The tricky part about considering "best" comedies is that there are several sub-categories of humor movies which among themselves don't compare well: slapstick, hare-brained, screwball, satire, social commentary, and the like.

That said, my plan is to simply take each film as Siddon has listed them, and provide some impressions.

Blazing Saddles is, for all intents and purposes, a Marx Brothers film produced in 1974. That didn't occur to me at the time, because I was busy enjoying the many gags, double entendres, cameos, and then-topical satire. But 45 years later, the style is obvious. Certainly Mel Brooks and crew were huge fans of Groucho and crew.

The plot isn’t bad for that type of film, but no one really pays
it much attention. They’ll be enjoying the vignettes-- and there are scores of them. Many of them are too corny, or are too topical at the time for today’s audiences; but most were funny, ribald, or skewering to cultural norms of the day. So the film was really a collection of skits.

Madeline Kahn, fresh from her roles in
What’s Up, Doc? and Paper Moon got her second Oscar nomination for her hilarious send up of Marlene Dietrich, playing the character Lili von Shtupp, the “Teutonic Titwillow”. Her work was some of the best in the picture. Alex Karras had the memorable role of “Mongo” a hulking illiterate who dropped a horse with one punch. At the time the public was very familiar with Karras as an announcer on Monday Night Football, where his humor was popular. He’d had a legendary career as a stellar pro football player, and flowed into acting and comedy. And it’s always nice to see the memorable Slim Pickens, following his characters in Dr. Strangelove... and The Getaway. Cleavon Little did a nice job as headliner, and Gene Wilder gave one of his enjoyable, if patented, performances.

I’ll leave the social commentary to others. However I wish someone had the guts to make a similar film today.

~Doc

In this politically correct society we live in today, there's no way Blazing Saddles could be made in 2019.
That's interesting, I'm looking forward to watching Blazing Saddles as I've never seen it before.

I don't know why, Citizen, but I have a feeling you're going to hate it.
considering he nominated Young Frankenstein I'm gonna roll on the enjoyed side. Not loved, but enjoyed.

Teacher's Pet (1958)

I liked it! I'd seen it before like 12 years ago and I liked it then too. Funny thing is I didn't remember a thing about the movie, so it was almost like watching it for the very first time. And I found Teacher's Pet very watchable. I never got bored and found the story and the sets interesting.

I don't know what it is about old b&w movies set in a newspaper's main room with all the hubbub and clanking typewriters, but it makes for a visually exciting set. Speaking of visually exciting, Mamie Van Doren added some zest with her on-stage performance of The Girl Who Invented Rock and Roll, which sounded a bit like Elvis' Heartbreak Hotel. Oh, that was Mamie actually singing in the movie too.

I think the highlight for me was seeing a very young Marion Ross (Happy Days TV show). I got a kick out of thinking I was seeing her back in the actually 1950s. She was great on Happy Days and she added alot to Teacher's Pet too.

Of course the stars of the movie are Doris Day and Clark Gable. I thought Gable did quite well here and made for a good, hard boiled newspaper editor. Of course any movie with Doris Day is going to win points with me. I got a kick out of her hairdo which was a feminine form of the DA hair cut, also known as the 'duck ass' that cool guys wore in the late 1950s. You can mainly see her unique hair in the school office scene when she turns and walks away from the camera. I swear the back of her head looked just like Fonzie's. No wonder they got Mrs C. (Marion Ross) to be in the movie

The big standout to me, and this was a surprise, as I didn't know he could do comedy so well was....Gig Young. I'm not real familiar with his body of work, but I kinda thought he was a matinee idol hired for his looks, but nope, he can do comedy too! BTW he had an Academy nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his role.

So yeah, I liked the movie a lot as a drama with some light comedy. I'm not surprised to read that the original script was a straight drama, then when it didn't sell some comic touches were added. So while I didn't find it all that funny, I sure did like it.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teachers Pet 1958.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	56572  

Teacher's Pet
Clark Gable, Doris Day, and Gig Young make a fun romantic triangle in a 1958 comedy called Teacher's Pet, that takes a little too long to get where it's going, but the stars make the journey a smooth one.

Gable plays Jim Gannon, a veteran newspaper editor who receives an invitation to speak at a night journalism class taught by one Erica Stone (Day). Gannon, a strict believer in experience over education, turns down Erica's invitation in the form of a very rude letter. Gannon's boss gets word of the letter and insists that Gannon go to her class and apologize and once he gets a look at Erica, he decides to pretend to be a student in the class. Throw in a psychologist and author named Hugo Pine (Young) who is dating Erica and you have the cinematic staple known as the romantic triangle.

The Oscar-nominated screenplay by Fay and Michael Kanin not only sets up a classic triangle but provides an effectIve debate regarding experience over education where journalism is concerned and I liked that the debate concludes that both are equally important. There's a subplot involving a young boy (Nick Adams) who quit school to come work for Gannon and how his mother wants him to quit the paper and come back to school.

I was also impressed with the fact that Jim and Erica both learn something during the course of the story and are not the same people they are at the beginning of the movie. And the real irony of it is that a lot of what they learn and concede comes from Hugo Pine, who actually sees what's happening between Jim and Erica before they do and aids them in seeing it too instead of squaring off against Jim.

Gable offers a razor sharp performance as Gannon, a performance where some of his funniest moments have nothing to do with dialogue. The first meeting between Gannon and Hugo Pine is hysterical, the way he just stares bullets at the guy. I also loved the fact that he thought he could tame Erica with a kiss, which, to his surprise, he couldn't do. Day is delightful as the no-nonsense Erica and Gig Young actually received a supporting actor Oscar nomination for his slick turn as Hugo Pine. Mamie Van Doren and Charles Lane shine in supporting roles and if you don't blink, you'll catch the future Marian Cunningham from Happy Days, Marian Ross and the future Gladys Kravitz from Bewitched, Sandra Gould, in tiny roles. The film also opens with a terrific title song, that was a monster hit for Doris. It's a little on the long side, but it's a lot of fun.

A Shot in the Dark
Blake Edwards and Peter Sellers wasted no time in following up the smashing success of The Pink Panther with an even funnier sequel called A Shot in the Dark, which has earned a reputation over the years as the funniest film in the Pink Panther franchise and deservedly so.

This 1964 laugh riot finds Inspector Clouseau (Peter Sellers) assigned to investigate the murder of the driver of wealthy Benjamin Ballon (Oscar winner George Sanders) and the primary suspect appears to be Ballon's buxom and beautiful maid, Maria Gambrelli (Elke Sommar), but Clouseau refuses to accept Maria as being guilty, which not only gets him in a lot of trouble with his boss, Commissioner Dreyfus (Herbert Lom), but has a hand in an additional seven deaths that happen in the course of the investigation.

A film that features eight murder victims hardly seems to be material for a film comedy, but Blake Edwards and William Peter Blatty have concocted this outrageously over-the-top black comedy, which is actually based on a play by Harry Kurnitz, who was clearly influenced by writers like Noel Coward in coming up with this bizarre murder mystery that really isn't that mysterious. Director and co-writer Edwards stages a brilliant staging of the murder at the opening of the film, before the opening credits, that already clue in on the audience that we are not being told everything...during the opening, we several people going in and out of various doors on the Ballon estate and we see four people go into the same room before the shots ring out, so we know there are at least two more people who know something but are saying nothing.

It's not the story that makes this movie so funny, it is the brilliant collaboration between Blake Edwards and Peter Sellers, whose uncanny ability to concoct hysterical physical comedy out of practically nothing at times that makes this movie works. You know you're in for some major laughs when Ballon suggests that he and Clouseau engage in a game of billiards and hands Clouseau a curved pool cue, not to mention later when he asks him to return a pool cue to the rack. Watch Sellers' face when he is questioning Maria in his office and every time she grabs him, a piece of his suit comes off in her hand. Their misadventure in a nudist colony provides major chuckles. I also loved the running bit of Clouseau donning different disguises to follow Maria after having her released from jail and getting arrested repeatedly for occupations that require a license. And that scene where Clouseau and his assistant (Graham Stark) are trying to synchronize their watches had me on the floor.

Edwards and Blatty have also come up with the perfect comic foil for Clouseau in Dreyfus. Love the look on his face when he first learns that Clouseau has been assigned to the case and how frustrated he gets when he learns that Ballon doesn't want Clouseau taken off the case. It's so funny how working with Clouseau has turned Dreyfus into a basket case who can't eat or sleep, has a problem with self-mutilation, an eye that won't stop twitching at the mention of Clouseau's name, and has been in therapy for quite awhile.

Peter Sellers proves to be the master physical comedian here, bringing a goofy dignity to this character, while barely allowing a smile to cross his face during the entire running time. Lom and Sanders underplay beautifully and Sanders must be applauded for keeping a straight face with Sellers, but the lion's credit for why this works has to go to director Blake Edwards, whose undeniable skill at slapstick comedy gets a full work out here. So if you're a fan of his later work like 10 and Victoria/Victoria, you might want to give this classic a look.

Charade (1963)

Charade is an enjoyable romance/mystery/comedy, with emphasis on the first two. Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn worked well together, had good chemistry, and Grant was quoted as saying he really wanted to do another picture with Hepburn, although it never came to pass.

Grant deadpans many lines, making them comedic, which he had done to good effect in
lots of his earlier movies. In fact it was his most distinguishing dramatic feature. Hepburn is one of the cutest ladies to ever be in pictures. She’s totally unique in her personality and style, although some have tried to imitate her, e.g. Maggie McNamara. Hepburn’s appeal is not so much comedic is as it’s earnest, kooky, naive, and innocent.

Walter Matthau is good as the “CIA” agent who morphs into something else later on. There were nice parts for both George Kennedy and James Coburn, who still were playing villains in those days.

The film was fresh in 1963-- before hundreds of movies took the plot twist form and embellished it to new heights. Several of Grant’s previous films had pretty good twists as well, most notably Hitchock’s
North by Northwest.

Although not one of my favorites, the film is important, and is something of a milestone from the early 1960s. It’s available free on Amazon Prime.

~Doc