Golden Age Comedy Hall of Fame (1952-1976)

Tools    

Alright time to take up the next step in comedy. We're going from 1952-1976. This is a thin era for comedy though you have quite a bit of diversity of genres. This was an era where you had a little something for everyone from biting satire, to rom coms, to foreign classic's to screwball escapades.

I'm assuming turnout is going to be low so feel free to send two nominations because I doubt we'll get more than 7 people.

Ahwell - Complete
Citizen Rules - Complete
GBGoodies - Complete
Gulfportdoc - Complete
Gideon58 - Complete
Siddon - Complete
Edarsenal - Complete

Reserved for later

Blazing Saddles (1974) Nom'd Ahwell

review by Ahwell
review by CitizenRules
review by Edarsenal
review by Gbgoodies
review by Gideon58
review by Gulfportdoc
review by Siddon

Charade (1963) Nom'd Siddon
review by Ahwell
review by Citizen_Rules
review by Edarsenal
review by GBGoodies
review by Gideon58
review by Gulfportdoc
review by Siddon

Divorce American Style (1967) Nom'd Gideon58
review by Ahwell
review by Citizen_Rules
review by Edarsenal

review by GBGoodies
review by Gideon58
review by Gulfportdoc
review by Siddon

Doctor Strangelove(1964) Nom'd Siddon
review by Ahwell
review by CitizenRules
review by Edarsenal
review by Gbgoodies
review by Gideon58
review by Gulfportdoc
review by Siddon

Hobson's Choice(1954) Nom'd EdArsenal

review by Ahwell
review by Citizen_Rules
review by Edarsenal
review by Gbgoodies
review by Gideon58
review by Gulfportdoc
review by Siddon

Murder by Death (1976) Nom'd gbgoodies
review by Ahwell
review by Citizen_Rules
review by Edarsenal
review by Gbgoodies
review by Gideon58
review by Gulfportdoc
review by Siddon

The Odd Couple Nom'd Gideon58

Review by Ahwell
Review by Citizen Rules
Review by Edarsenal
Review by Gbgoodies
Review by Gideon58
review by Gulfportdoc
review by Siddon

Pillowtalk (1959) Nom'd Gulfport Doc

review by Ahwell
review by Citizen_Rules
review by Edarsenal

review by Gbgoodies
review by Gideon58
review by Gulfportdoc
review by Siddon

A Shot in the Dark (1974) Nom'd Gulfport Doc

review by Ahwell
review by Citizen_Rules
review by Edarsenal
review by Gbgoodies
review by Gideon58
review by Gulfportdoc
review by Siddon

Singing in the Rain (1952) Nom'd Ahwell

review by Ahwell
review by Citizen_Rules
review by Edarsenal

review by Gbgoodies
review by Gideon58
review by Gulfportdoc
review by Siddon

Some Like it Hot (1959) Nom'd Citizen Rules

review by Ahwell
review by Citizen_Rules
review by Edarsenal
review by Gbgoodies
review by Gideon58
review by Gulfportdoc
review by Siddon

Teacher's Pet (1958) Nom'd gbgoodies

review by ahwell
review by Citizen_Rules
review by Edarsenal
review by Gbgoodies
Review by Gideon58
review by Gulfportdoc
review by Siddon

What's Up Doc (1972) Nom'd EdArsenal

Review by Ahwell

Review by Citizen Rules
Review by Edarsenal
Review by Gbgoodies
review by Gideon58
Review by GulfportDoc
Review by Siddon

Young Frankenstein (1974) Nom'd Citizen Rules
review by Ahwell
review by Citizen Rules
review by gbgoodies
review by Gideon58
review by gulfportdoc
review by Siddon

I really shouldn't be doing this one, I have a lot on my plate, but I'm entering anyways.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
VERY cool!
I'm in, but it'll take a few days to pick out my two noms.

Do you have a date in mind for when you wanted to start this? Will you be accepting nominations for awhile, or are you looking to get this rolling soon?

There are a number of comedies from this period that I enjoy, but I feel like I haven't done much for the Animation HoF yet. I did just watch my third film for that, however we have inventory coming up soon at work, and my temporarily altered schedule is going to limit how much time I have to watch anything.

Most of the animated films are on the shorter side though, so if I can still get through a few this week, I might be able to join this as well. We'll see.

Do you have a date in mind for when you wanted to start this? Will you be accepting nominations for awhile, or are you looking to get this rolling soon?

I need to see what's going to be nominated before making that determination if we get 10 people I'm going to take 20 noms and run this till Christmas

There are a number of comedies from this period that I enjoy, but I feel like I haven't done much for the Animation HoF yet. I did just watch my third film for that, however we have inventory coming up soon at work, and my temporarily altered schedule is going to limit how much time I have to watch anything.

I'm not setting cut lines for this Hall or the next one (which really should be massive. I just feel like we need to have a gentlemens agreement that if you make multiple nominations that you finish it and that you select quality films.

Most of the animated films are on the shorter side though, so if I can still get through a few this week, I might be able to join this as well. We'll see.

Comedies tend to run fairly short, you've got some outliers but finding something that tops two hours from that period of time is unusual.

I need to see what's going to be nominated before making that determination if we get 10 people I'm going to take 20 noms and run this till Christmas
I didn't mean when the deadline was, since that's always determined by the number of films. I meant how long you were going to accept nominations before starting.

I didn't mean when the deadline was, since that's always determined by the number of films. I meant how long you were going to accept nominations before starting.

A week after the reveal...and that'll be based on when I get enough submissions.

A week after the reveal...and that'll be based on when I get enough submissions.
I'm OK with a longer period for taking noms. If waiting a little longer means we can pick up a couple more people like Cosmic, then that's good! The more the merrier

Alright time to take up the next step in comedy. We're going from 1952-1976. This is a thin era for comedy though you have quite a bit of diversity of genres. This was an era where you had a little something for everyone from biting satire, to rom coms, to foreign classic's to screwball escapades.

I'm assuming turnout is going to be low so feel free to send two nominations because I doubt we'll get more than 7 people.
Siddon, are we supposed to include a review with our noms, and also provide comments on the other noms, or will this just be a listing for the forum members to eventually vote on?

~Doc

Siddon, are we supposed to include a review with our noms, and also provide comments on the other noms, or will this just be a listing for the forum members to eventually vote on?

~Doc
I think this is just a regular hall of fame, so you nominate two (or one if you want) comedies from that era and then you have to watch and review all the others that people have nominated, and then turn in a list. So the same thing as Classic Comedy HoF which I think you did.

I think this is just a regular hall of fame, so you nominate two (or one if you want) comedies from that era and then you have to watch and review all the others that people have nominated, and then turn in a list. So the same thing as Classic Comedy HoF which I think you did.
Thanks, Ahwell.