2001: A Space Odyssey

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by Golgot
Here's an excerpt from a letter written to Clarke

There are a few possibilities as I figure it:

1. Kubrick and Clarke are trying to mess with us, to make us crazy (epidemic), so we all go nuts, become scared rage filled zombies, and kill each other, leaving the Earth relatively uninhabited, thus saving the planet from mankind's raping (or leaving it for some other 'group' that wants it? The dream comes true? "The meek [smart, calm] shall inherit the earth.")

2. Stanley and Kubrick (along with many others on this planet) are indeed aliens and can timetravel and/or predict the future (because it's already happenned?). They are trying to send some of us that can actually figure out the puzzle, a message (invitation or warning or directions) about our fate, or our next step in evolution.

3. It's all a dream.

4. The aliens are coming enmass soon! haha.

Why am I here?
I think 1's the most viable explanation...

I think what golgot said makes sense, however I think the point of it all is that the humans in the story don't really understand what the aliens want with us therefore we as an audience don't really understand either.

The questions it leaves us is mirrors perfectly the questions put to the people in the story... I think it's better this way, left unexplained to a point, because after all we feeble little humans haven't evolved enough to understand it.

I personally loved 2001, it's an amazing film and I think we understand as much about it as we are meant to understand.

Sic Networks

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
The premise of the film is this: Nearly four million years ago at the Dawn of Man, a mysterious black monolith appears, prompting our distant ape ancestors to learn how to use the first tools to kill for food and defend themselves. In a shot that is known to be the longest flash-forward in the history of the cinema, an ape tosses a bone into the sky, then in a flash, changes to the Orion III Spaceplane on its way to Space Station 5. Dr. Heywood Floyd (William Sylvester), the Chairman of the National Council for Astronautics, takes a routine trip to the Moon. It is revealed to us that a four million-year-old monolith, named Tycho Magnetic Anomaly-One (TMA-1), has been discovered buried 40’ feet deep in the lunar crater Tycho. Obviously, it had been buried there intentionally. When exposed to the light of the sun, after millions of years in utter darkness, the monolith sends out a powerful electronic signal. Later we find out that the signal was directed towards Jupiter. Eighteen months later, we are aboard the first manned space mission to Jupiter. The U.S.S Discovery’s human astronauts, Dave Bowman (Keir Dullea) and Frank Poole (Gary Lockwood), are forced to consider disconnecting the super-intelligent, and English speaking, HAL 9000 computer (Douglas Rain) that runs their ship when it makes an error. Fathoming their intentions, HAL succeeds in killing everyone but Dave, who disconnects it and finds out about the previously secret discovery of the lunar monolith. Arriving at Jupiter, Dave discovers another black monolith orbiting the gas giant, and after flying into it, he is taken through a wormhole in space, eventually landing in a room that could literally be any hotel room on Earth. There he ages rapidly before encountering the final monolith, which turns him into a newborn Star Child and returns him to gaze upon the planet Earth from its orbit.

The story seems pretty straightforward doesn’t it? Well, it’s not. Because what Stanley Kubrick made, which could have been a simple science fiction tale, turns out to be a philosophical look at humanity, and what its potential role is in the cosmos. Not only that, he also takes a look at what our technology could eventually become. At the end of our evolutionary peak, we may create technology that actually surpasses us in its perfection, and then becomes the new masters of our galaxy. These points are only a small part of a larger mosaic of ideas and ideologies that make up the film. Clarke wrote a masterful science fiction story, that is beyond question, but it was Kubrick that made the film so much deeper and insightful. Take, for example, the scene when Dave is in the room near the end; he knocks the wine glass of the table shattering it, yet the wine remains. This is a symbolism of what the next phase of our evolutionary chain may lead to. The body is gone, yet the ‘spirit’ remains. It shows us that the next step would be to alleviate our need for flesh and to become sentient matter. Another part is during Dr. Floyd’s trip to Clavius. Onboard the shuttle, everybody is relearning things like walking, eating, even how to void themselves. We are only babes when it comes to this point in our lives, everything that we have accomplished to become masters of our planet is moot once we leave it and put ourselves within reaching distance of the heavens. I could go on like this all day, because the movie is literally stuffed with this type of imagery. Kubrick was never a man that put things in his films just for filler. Everything had meaning, and he enjoyed it when people had to come to their own understandings and conclusions. That’s why he made films; to make the audience think.

I believe that's what the endng is all about. The Starchild may look like it has flesh, but it's really just a housing until Dave gets used to being pure matter. The Alien's are probably pure matter as well.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

there's a frog in my snake oil

I believe that's what the endng is all about. The Starchild may look like it has flesh, but it's really just a housing until Dave gets used to being pure matter. The Alien's are probably pure matter as well.
I guessing the baby is as "real" as the older/multi-aged incarnations he goes through first. Coz i'm wondering now whether the "re-birth" suggests our hero recognising his predicament in some ways. I.E. previously he was taking the "inevitable" step of ageing - but perhaps this was just out of habit. Once he twigged to his new predicament/potential-knowledge he was able to affect his environment in a new way (Maybe the aliens pushed him into a new relationship with reality that forced his perception/conceptualisation to catch up. i.e. they allowed his mind to become aware of certain oddities of time and space perhaps?)

Obviously, the playful little Clarke-Kubric gestalt is just saying that Space and Time are probably different from what we percieve and know. And extended knowledge of these things will change how we can interact with them (which in turn will extend our knowledge etc )

But yeah, "pure" matter, why not. Or quantum cutlery for the spaghetti of space . Or a new brain-to-spaceflame interface? Who knows

Originally Posted by Golgot
But yeah, "pure" matter, why not.
I was following the cue from the wine glass segment. I believe that is where we are told what is happening to Dave. Just my opinion of course.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I was following the cue from the wine glass segment.
So was i with the space-pasta comment

I believe that is where we are told what is happening to Dave. Just my opinion of course.
Cool man Could well be what about they wanted to say.

A system of cells interlinked
Take, for example, the scene when Dave is in the room near the end; he knocks the wine glass of the table shattering it, yet the wine remains. This is a symbolism of what the next phase of our evolutionary chain may lead to. The body is gone, yet the ‘spirit’ remains. It shows us that the next step would be to alleviate our need for flesh and to become sentient matter.

Meant to comment on this before. This doesn't happen. I just watched the film again, and I watched this scene closely, rewound it, and watched it again. No wine remains anywhere but on the floor where the glass shatters, just like it would if I smashed a glass of wine at my house. Not sure where this came from, but the above quoted scene doesn't happen. There are two glasses on the table, and when the camera angle changes after he shatters the glass, you can see the water glass still on the table, but no wine remains where the first glass was. When they cut to the shot of the shattered glass, the wine is clearly splashed about.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Sedai
Meant to comment on this before. This doesn't happen. I just watched the film again, and I watched this scene closely, rewound it, and watched it again. No wine remains anywhere but on the floor where the glass shatters, just like it would if I smashed a glass of wine at my house. Not sure where this came from, but the above quoted scene doesn't happen. There are two glasses on the table, and when the camera angle changes after he shatters the glass, you can see the water glass still on the table, but no wine remains where the first glass was. When they cut to the shot of the shattered glass, the wine is clearly splashed about.
Perhaps the wine represents how absoloutly battered you'd have to be to understand what in the holy helmet is going on.

I'd tend to agree. Nice interpretation.

Have never understood all the reverence film buffs have for this movie. I saw it for the first time about 5 years and thought it was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen...I did stay awake and watched the entire film, but it was a real chore.

Let the night air cool you off
If it's been five years, perhaps it's time to try it again. It's one of my favorites, so I'd like to see what you think of it if you give it another go.