I'm eagerly awaiting a solid D&D film.

Tools    

I don't actually wear pants.
Are you? Maybe not something tied directly a D&D pre-made adventure (Forgotten Realms, that sort of thing), but something that takes its mythology and builds a solid film off of it. I've written four scripts that are based on D&D stuff, though they're not going to amount to more than just a few pals making a film (which I don't see as a negative, because I enjoy putting them together, and I've filmed one, even), but I'd like to see a good D&D film.

I hated the '00 film, and the two TV versions are good-not-great, though I did like seeing the D&D tropes in a film that I didn't make. There's also Scourge of Worlds that needs a sequel, but I don't know how many people even knew, or know, it exists. I just want a great fantasy adventure that has D&D aspects strewn throughout it.

Your thoughts?

The most loathsome of all goblins
The anime Record of Lodoss War is best translation of Dungeons & Dragons that I've seen, but yeah I definitely wish there were more good fantasy-adventure movies being made. One idea I think would be great, is a parody of 80's sword-and-sorcery flicks in the style of Black Dynamite.

The anime Record of Lodoss War is best translation of Dungeons & Dragons that I've seen, but yeah I definitely wish there were more good fantasy-adventure movies being made. One idea I think would be great, is a parody of 80's sword-and-sorcery flicks in the style of Black Dynamite.
Maybe they could adapt the Drizzt Do'Urden books into a movie series? I've read the first, and a "trilogy" later in the series without realizing there were some before it, and it could lend itself to a great movie series. Have you read those books?

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
sorry, didn't see this thread til now

but yes! i would totally be into that, though i haven't see the films you mentioned. d&d is the hobby i spend more time doing these days than anything else, socially. i really do think it's a game anyone can play and enjoy. there's so many benefits to it.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
OMG I HATED that movie from 2000!!! I went in with low expectations due to casting but WOW it was soooo bad!!! Yes. I would love to see a proper D&D themed movie come out. Technology exists! Sadly, I figure another quick flip of a film will pop up sooner or later trailing the closure of GoT that will be somewhere between the 2000 abomination and a made-for SYFY quality mess. Just to leverage the vacuum.

sigh.

*EDIT*
at least we have the 80s Saturday morning cartoon!! That was pretty good, all things considered. I remember waking my mom up one morning when the show first aired to ask permission to watch it. See, I'm in Alabama. All the morning and religious talk shows of the time were ranting about how this cartoon would posses children and convert them to satanism. I was nervous, but the animation looked sooooo cool!

at least we have the 80s Saturday morning cartoon!! That was pretty good, all things considered. I remember waking my mom up one morning when the show first aired to ask permission to watch it. See, I'm in Alabama. All the morning and religious talk shows of the time were ranting about how this cartoon would posses children and convert them to satanism. I was nervous, but the animation looked sooooo cool!
I wasn't around when the show aired, and only caught a few episodes on TV in the 90s, but I don't remember anything about it. I want to find it. I think a good D&D film should be fairly doable, but the current output isn't any good.

sorry, didn't see this thread til now

but yes! i would totally be into that, though i haven't see the films you mentioned. d&d is the hobby i spend more time doing these days than anything else, socially. i really do think it's a game anyone can play and enjoy. there's so many benefits to it.
It's one of my favorite games, too. The game requires you to be creative and imaginative, and you have to be able to problem-solve. I don't really know what's so "Satanic" about it, but I guess people fear what they don't like, or something like that. There are plenty of D&D books, so why not a good movie?

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
It's one of my favorite games, too. The game requires you to be creative and imaginative, and you have to be able to problem-solve. I don't really know what's so "Satanic" about it, but I guess people fear what they don't like, or something like that. There are plenty of D&D books, so why not a good movie?
who's calling it satanic?

yeah, probably one of my favorite things about d&d is it requires you to not only to problem-solve, but to problem-solve as a team, which is not always easy to do. i've seen dnd groups break up because the party couldn't come together as a team and get **** done, ya know? as a kid, i hated it when teachers would force us to work in teams to get school projects done, but dnd is a way to make kids work together and have fun doing it! it should be an elective, or at least an extra curricular hehe

i'm involved in a very role-playing heavy game right now, which is a lil out of my comfort zone, and i'm nervous about our next sesh because my character has to out one of the other players as a traitor, and it's probably going to be dramatic, ha

who's calling it satanic?

yeah, probably one of my favorite things about d&d is it requires you to not only to problem-solve, but to problem-solve as a team, which is not always easy to do. i've seen dnd groups break up because the party couldn't come together as a team and get **** done, ya know? as a kid, i hated it when teachers would force us to work in teams to get school projects done, but dnd is a way to make kids work together and have fun doing it! it should be an elective, or at least an extra curricular hehe

i'm involved in a very role-playing heavy game right now, which is a lil out of my comfort zone, and i'm nervous about our next sesh because my character has to out one of the other players as a traitor, and it's probably going to be dramatic, ha
Not me, that's for sure.

D&D as a class? I could teach it! But, yeah, working as a team is important for D&D, and it's good to have those skills, from any avenue, though school is typically the main way to get those skills. I mostly DM, though, so I don't get involved with the problem-solving, because I'm the one who gave them the problems in the first place.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Maybe they could adapt the Drizzt Do'Urden books into a movie series? I've read the first, and a "trilogy" later in the series without realizing there were some before it, and it could lend itself to a great movie series. Have you read those books?
I own 6 Drizzt books on paperback, good reading.

It would be cool to see Menzoberranzan on the big screen.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I keep thinking this thread is going to be about a dungeon and a dominatrix.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
That's probably where I got the idea from. Mofo has corrupted me.