American Gods

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Anyone else hanging out for this? Trailer looks out of this world. I dayum adore Bryan Fuller!!!

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-new-ameri...-go-1793300362

The Adventure Starts Here!
Saw the trailer for this and was instantly intrigued. Yoda made the connection for me this evening that it's Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Somehow that part escaped me. So now I wonder if I should read the book first or not...

Wife is a big Neil Gaiman fan, so she's read the book and really liked it. I'll probably read it pretty soon, now, because of this.

We both love pretty much everything Bryan Fuller does, too, so yeah, pretty excited about this.

I was thinking of reading it anyway, so yeah, probably. Especially since I don't have Starz and I'm not sure when I'll get around to actually seeing it.

I'm kind of iffy on the whole thing, though, both which to do first, whether to do either, etc.

I havent read the book either Aus but I want to get into Bryan's demented mind first then will check it out after.

https://filmink.com.au/2017/american...uction-design/

I ordered a copy on Amazon and it shows up tomorrow. I'll read it first. The only time recently I've watched something before reading the book was with Game of Thrones, and I did that on purpose because I'd started the first book and had a rough time keeping characters straight. Someone suggested (either Yoda or his brother) that I watch maybe a few episodes of the show in order to put faces on the characters, and that worked. I then shot ahead of the series with the books and was only ever behind for maybe most of the first season.

Generally speaking, though, I always enjoy reading the book untarnished with images from a movie or TV show. Better for the imagination while reading. But if I encounter similar issues with getting into the book, I'd opt for the series first -- at least an episode or two.

(We do get Starz, so that's not an issue for me.)

Generally speaking, though, I always enjoy reading the book untarnished with images from a movie or TV show. Better for the imagination while reading. But if I encounter similar issues with getting into the book, I'd opt for the series first -- at least an episode or two.

)
I'm usually the same but with Hannibal I wouldnt even reread or rewatch the movies until the show finished. I was just too enamoured with Bryan's insane take of the characters, and Mads' portrayal of the good doctor.

I assumed Hannibal was a completely new thing, no? Were there any books with that content in them?

There's a series I gotta finish. I got stuck at the end of season 2, I think, because it started to feel as if it was jumping the shark a bit. But wow, the look and feel of that series was phenomenal and yeah, Mads was actually superior to Hopkins in some ways. And I can't believe I actually just wrote that because I generally adore Hopkins in everything.

I assumed Hannibal was a completely new thing, no? Were there any books with that content in them?

There's a series I gotta finish. I got stuck at the end of season 2, I think, because it started to feel as if it was jumping the shark a bit. But wow, the look and feel of that series was phenomenal and yeah, Mads was actually superior to Hopkins in some ways. And I can't believe I actually just wrote that because I generally adore Hopkins in everything.
Thomas Harris wrote the books (Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal (and was forced by Dino de Laurentiis to write the back story of young Hnnibal which I've never read and Harris hated). Bryan then created a reimagining of the characters, which Harris loved. The season 2 finale was probably my favourite of the three and I highly recommend it, Aus. I;m ashamed to say how many rewatches I had. The first arc of season 3 is in Europe and has a very arthaus feel to it. I think that's the show Bryan really wanted to make without being hamstrung by nbc creatives. It's utterly insane. Then the second arc is with Dolarhyde (Red Dragon). They never managed to get the rights to characters originating in SotL and those rights dont expire until august (I think) this year which is probably a contributing factor to nbc not renewing it. They werent prepared to have a lengthy hiatus.

Now that AG is with STARZ I;m really excited to see what an unbridled Fuller gets away with. I love that guy. And I cant remember if I posted about Michael Green the co runner. I really liked what he did with The River one season tv show.

My copy of American Gods showed up today. It's about 600 pages long. I'm on page 50. Didn't mean to read that much but I was curious and opened it up. I'm definitely hooked. And I'm already glad I'm reading it first.

Just a heads up, there, Yoda, that you might want to take a peek and see if it draws you in.

My copy of American Gods showed up today. It's about 600 pages long. I'm on page 50. Didn't mean to read that much but I was curious and opened it up. I'm definitely hooked. And I'm already glad I'm reading it first.

Just a heads up, there, Yoda, that you might want to take a peek and see if it draws you in.
Good to know. I'll order that if we dont ever have another plumbing emergency and manage to get our next holiday.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The book is really weird.

My work were in the bidding to supply gear for the show too, but were beat out at the last minute.

Suspect's Reviews

The book is really weird.

My work were in the bidding to supply gear for the show too, but were beat out at the last minute.
Is that also being shot in Canada?

Found it. Cool. Have you checked out the sets, TUS?

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
(street scenes)

Ponca City, Oklahoma, USA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cinespace Studios, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
(Queens Square)

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA

McAlester, Oklahoma, USA
(McAlester Prison)

Oklahoma and Ontario. Hmm...

So far the book isn't overly weird, meaning it's a tolerable, follow-able weird. Then again, some of the other books I'm currently reading are weirder (Infinite Jest and The Bone Clocks, for starters).

Oklahoma and Ontario. Hmm...

So far the book isn't overly weird, meaning it's a tolerable, follow-able weird. Then again, some of the other books I'm currently reading are weirder (Infinite Jest and The Bone Clocks, for starters).
Have you gotten to the vagina part?

@Dani8 No, unfortunately not. But I did get to check out the set on the new Star Trek show.

Have you gotten to the vagina part?
Why, yes, yes I have.

I'm not saying it wasn't weird. I'm just saying it was easy to follow, unlike Infinite Jest has been so far.

Why, yes, yes I have.

I'm not saying it wasn't weird. I'm just saying it was easy to follow, unlike Infinite Jest has been so far.
Infinite Jest, good luck with that undertaking. I think the longest book I've read was 800 some odd pages. I think if a book goes over 1,000 pages, then there HAS to be a lot of filler in there.

I have King's The Stand and IT on the back burner for those very reasons and I'm probably never going to touch Moore's Jerusalem, sucker is over 1,200 pages long!!!