Movie that were PUBLICITY STUNTS

Tools    

Eyes Wide Shut- Publicity for Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman.
The Passion of The Christ- Publicty for Mel Gibson and Christianity
Glitter- Publicity for Mariah Carey (it only worked because the movie was such a failure)
Gigli- Publicity for Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck (the reason they are no longer together)

If you can think of some more or have any comments about the above...

Every film tries to generate publicity, so it can attract ticket-buyers, and make money. A "publicity stunt" refers to an action or event designed only to rouse publicity, and not done for its own sake. A movie that simply tries to get a lot of publicity is not a publicity stunt.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Every film tries to generate publicity, so it can attract ticket-buyers, and make money. A "publicity stunt" refers to an action or event designed only to rouse publicity, and not done for its own sake. A movie that simply tries to get a lot of publicity is not a publicity stunt.
For instance, "The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan". That was a publicity stunt if there ever was one.

The Emperor of Ice Cream
Indeed it was, Garrett.

A system of cells interlinked
Eyes Wide Shut was NOT a publicity stunt....

Originally Posted by Sedai
Eyes Wide Shut was NOT a publicity stunt....
I still didn't get it. And the "M. Night" show on Sci-Fi that Garrett mentioned was a piece of horse manu. . .er. . .I don't know how to spell is correctly.
And found he was eating his shoe.

The Green Berets was a propaganda film, but that isn't quite what you meant.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

So many good movies, so little time.
Some movies that may be more concerned with influencing public opinion rather than just being a movie for art's sake :

Fahrenheit 9/11 - anti-war
Bowling for Columbine - anti-guns

Some music movies such as

Help
A Hard Day's Night

may have been more interested in generating publicity for the group rather than being a great movie.

Tommy, on the other hand, I think tried to be a good movie.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Holocast -- and that's all I'll say about that film. It was a film to single out the suffering of one however many many suffered.

All the hilary duff movies are publicity stunts to get her more famous..and eventually into much bigger movies..

So many good movies, so little time.
Originally posted by Lord Slayton : Um...Help is a great movie, man.
That was a very good movie, but still a big long commercial (publicity stunt? - not quite the right words) for the Beatles.

An example of actual publicity stunts done to hype the movie was when they put on the real news that Jerry Lawler the wrestler who had sprained Andy Kaufman's neck apparently also sprained Jim Carrey's neck. Thing being, the original incident was also a publicity stunt. - as for movies themselves being publicity stunts, that's a lot of money for a stunt (but I liked the comment on all Hilary Duff movies being pr stunts for Hilary Duff)

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Um...Help is a great movie, man.
i have to agree...i don't see any publicity stunts there...if that was one than yellow submarine was one too

or the film head (which starred the monkees)..or any film that a group makes

i did think that the second italian job was one big two hour ad for the mini cooper tho...(but i did like it a lot)

Bad Morther****er
Head was a publicity stunt. It was the Monkees attempt to shed their image as the the 60's version of a boy band, and move into the counter culture.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

Originally Posted by Urban Cowboy
Head was a publicity stunt. It was the Monkees attempt to shed their image as the the 60's version of a boy band, and move into the counter culture.

the monkees wanted to do a movie that was very different from their tv show so they got together with the producers and bob rafelson directed it..what rafelson had in mind that he didn't tell the boys was that he wanted to move on and kill the group and the show..the boys were too eager and too full of themselves and went along with it...basically they committed suicide...which is the very thing that rafelson wanted...

Originally Posted by kikyr
as for movies themselves being publicity stunts, that's a lot of money for a stunt (but I liked the comment on all Hilary Duff movies being pr stunts for Hilary Duff)
I think the term you're looking for is "vehicle" - a film that is made purely to capitalize on the popularity of an actor or is expressly formulated to boost that actor's popularity.

But not all vehicles are bad movies. Sometimes, with a bit of cleverness and/or just pure luck, you'll see a decent one. And vehicles aren't just for actors--I'm pretty sure Help! and its cousins fit into this classification, as well.