MovieGal's Top Female Vocalists (not in any order)

Tools    

This is just a list of female vocalists that I enjoy. They are from all different genres.

Chrissie Hynde
(The Pretenders)

Growing up in the 1970s and 1980s, I loved to listen to music on the radio. Once MTV hit the scene, it was a big deal because you music with video. One of the first videos I remember from MTV was "Brass In Pocket" by The Pretenders. The Pretenders hit the scene in 1970's within the punk rock and new wave movement.

They had hits with "Don't Me Wrong", "Back On The Chain Gang", "Message of Love" and "Brass In Pocket".

Pat Benatar

Pat hit the scene in the late 1970's. Her voice was a unique one, she is a mezzo-soprano. Her first hit from 1980, "Hit Me With Your Best Shot", shot her to popularity. She has had countless hits, such as "Hell Is For Children", "Fire and Ice", "Shadows of The Night", "We Belong" and countless others.

Patty Smyth
(Scandal)

Patty Smyth first hit the music scene back in 1981 with her band, Scandal. They had two hits with "Goodbye To You" and "The Warrior", and After the break up of Scandal, she releases 2 solo albums and did a duet with Don Henley of "The Eagles".

Stevie Nicks
(Fleetwood Mac)

Steve was a vocalist for the band "Fleetwood Mac" along with Christine McVie. She had several vocal hits with the band like "Rhiannon", "Tusk", "Landslide" and many other songs. Stevie went on to release solo albums and did duets with other singers as well.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm generally not a fan of female vocalists, but Pat Benatar is one of the few that I like. She has a very powerful voice.

I think "Heartbreaker" is probably my favorite of her songs, followed closely by "Hit Me with Your Best Shot" and "Love is a Battlefield".

Annie Lennox
(Eurythmics)

Annie Lennox hit the US airwaves back in 1983, as the vocals behind the British duo, the Eurythmics. Their first break through song was "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)", which has been recorded since by other artists. They had other hits with "Here Comes The Rain Again", "When Tomorrow Comes", "There Must Be an Angel" and other songs. The Eurythmics dis banned in the mid 80's but Annie continue to make solo albums and reunited in 1999 with David A Stewart to bring them into the 2000's. Annie has continued her solo career as well.

Natalie Merchant
(10,000 Maniacs)

Natalie Merchant was lead vocals for the band, 10,000 Maniacs during the 1980's. However, I did not become a fan of her's until she started her solo career in 1995. She had solo hits with "Carnival", "Wonder" and "Jealousy".

I'm generally not a fan of female vocalists, but Pat Benatar is one of the few that I like. She has a very powerful voice.

I think "Heartbreaker" is probably my favorite of her songs, followed closely by "Hit Me with Your Best Shot" and "Love is a Battlefield".
True, her best songs are on her full albums - I find her singles to be her more "poppy" songs while her albums have a lot of more diverse and darker songs

Fantastic! Annie Lennox my #1 favourite. Pat Benatar and Chrissie Hynde

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
WTF?! Patty Smyth! I thought she's Patti Smith for some time! The song's pretty good no matter who she is!

I thought Fleetwood Mac is a modern indie band. -_- Whatta mistake.

Plus rep, because... why not!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I was watching Chrissie Hynde just the other day. It was this performance, I think.

She was one of the few female singers I remember my mum really liking and listening to.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I love Fairuz, Karen Carpenter, Janis Ian, Clare Torry, ABBA, Grace Slick, Stevie Nicks, Diana Ross, Dee Dee Warwick, Dionne Warwick

I don't understand what she's singing, but her voice is AMAZING.. (great overall song in general)

One of the most beautiful and stellar (Swan's vocabulary has claimed its second victim) female voices I've ever heard:

Listen Armenian Medieval Spiritual Music album, MovieGal!

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I don't listen to a lot of female vocalists, but I have always liked Pat Benatar, Annie Lennox and Natalie Merchant. They are pretty high on the list of the female voices that I like best.

One of the most beautiful and stellar (Swan's vocabulary has claimed its second victim) female voices I've ever heard:
Heh. Well, I've started using the word "plebian" a lot so I guess we're even.

Hey thanks for all the comments everyone! I appreciate it. I will probably be posting some female vocalists you have never heard of, but that's a good thing, right? All comments are welcome and appreciated but please don't be negative. Just say its not your thing and move on.

I will be listing a few more shortly.

Deborah Harry
(Blondie)

Another band from the 1970's that graced the airwaves and one of the first videos on MTV was Deborah Harry and Blondie. Their were one of the early bands of punk and new wave music. Deborah Harry has a unique voice as well. In 1978, Blondie released their "Parallel Lines" album, that included "Picture This", "One Way Or Another" and "Heart of Glass". Harry and Blondie were a smash hit worldwide. They continued to release hits into the 1980's. Harry is one of the trendsetters for female vocalists.

Missy Higgins

Missy Higgins is a female vocalist from Australia. Missy hasn't ever hit the American airwaves with any #1 hits. I discovered her from the CW's "Smallville", which featured one of her songs. She has had multiple hits in her home country. Her song "Where I Stood" hit at #10 on Billboard's Hot Adult Contemporary Chart.

Can never get enough Blondie.

Never heard of the other girl. Not too shabby.

Can never get enough Blondie.

Never heard of the other girl. Not too shabby.
Like I said, she never really made it here in the US... I just happen to like the song that was playing on "Smallville", so I looked her up and became a fan. I have one of her cds.

Heh. Well, I've started using the word "plebian" a lot so I guess we're even.
You got plebeian taste, you plebian! I will listen to some classic albums many people love and make a new thread about it and if they suck I will bash them, but if they rock they will get a special kind of award. No idea as to how should I call it, though.