Body Building/Body Sculpting!

Tools    

I don't know what I did in the Body Pump class I attended on Saturday, but I either sort of pulled my right triceps or it's just really sore.... it hurts pretty bad when I move my arm

Good read so far, thanks Des.

What does your diet consist of? I can't justify the money to shop exclusively at Whole Foods or the like, but I have almost eliminated animal products.

Is it not important to have at least one off day from your exercise routine?

Look forward to moar posts.
Why eliminate animal products? That's the primary source of protein... it's good to have a varied diet. If you cut out animal products you'll be eating tons of carbs. Don't get me wrong, carbs are not all bad as long as you don't have too much.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Nuts and soy are good sources of cholesterol-free protein. Supposedly, soy is not that great for men....I basically only use it for cereal water.

Research suggests that animal products are not the healthiest thing for a human to eat.

I am by no means vegetarian, it's more a self-discipline thing. A nice ribeye is still one of the most glorious things you can consume.

Good read so far, thanks Des.

What does your diet consist of? I can't justify the money to shop exclusively at Whole Foods or the like, but I have almost eliminated animal products.
Thanks, sweetie!

I will first say that during the time of my life in that picture I posted, I was on a very strict diet. I ate cereal, yogurt, skinless, boneless chicken breast, cooked in a skillet, with any vegetables on the side. I also had a lot of white rice. That was pretty much all I ate.

I am stealing this from another thread. It's still my post, just altered! . . .

I love fruits, vegetables, seafood galore, chicken, rice, pasta, cereals, cheeses, and yogurts. I think that is all. Oh, and I have no clue why, but I cannot stop eating those vegetable chips. Who are we kidding!?! It's not like they are healthy, but damn, I love them. So yes, at times I suppose crackers, chips, and popcorn show up in my diet. I am not big on ice cream, because it burns my throat. I have no clue why. I am like most people, though. I love cakes, pastries, etc . . . I honestly love preparing them more than I do eating them. Thank goodness for that. I can cook, bake, grill, and deep fry pretty much anything. I do love me some sugar, though! When I have them here, it is best to get the sugar from specific fruits. I love many, like Cuties, Pomegranate, Black Grapes, Kiwi, Muscadine, Papaya, Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberry, Strawberries, Cherries, Pears, Peaches, Mandarin Oranges, and so on. My vegetable list is not as long, but there are several.

I have health issues, like needing to make sure I get enough Calcium in my diet every single day for my Osteoporosis. I am actually winning that battle, proud to say! I also need Potassium, and Vitamin C. Vitamin D is needed simply because without it, our bodies don't properly absorb the other vitamins we take in. Of course, you can get Vitamin D from the sun. I also need B-12, for my Pernicious Anemia. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to get that outside of the sublingual meds, or shots. I am still looking into foods with the Potassium my body has trouble keeping. Fish is good, but I have to look into more of that, still. I didn't realize the dangers there, until my last surgery. Without a decent amount of Potassium in our bodies, we can suffer from kidney, liver, and/or heart failure.

Oh, and for the most part, I have never been big on bread.

Is it not important to have at least one off day from your exercise routine?
I'm sure it is, but can't swear to it just yet. I know my routine is due to all the damage that was done during my health issues, and my desire to be my best yet. I'm still checking into things, though.

Thanks for joining in!

Unregistered User
Good call on concentration curls Destiny. I usually do those along with hammer curls in arm workout. A few other favourites are incline curls and negatives but the best for me these days is wide grip pull ups. Great for back and arms. Need to work harder on chest, doing flyes, incline and decline dumbbell press and also bench press but can't see to work lower pec as much as upper. Should really be doing dips more.

Talking of diet, for me this is probably the hardest part of keeping/staying fit. I'm always hungry, especially especially after working out and do find it a struggle if I haven't got the right foods in front of me. I'm a big meat eater anyway so plenty of chicken and steak isn't a problem but I'm bad for bread. And crisps. And chocolate bars.

Do you use protein powder supplements Destiny?

What makes you believe I can't do that already!?!

It's a good thing he doesn't need those men as spotters. Like they'd ever be able to get that ***** off him. Hopefully there's a few more, hidden around the side.

Why eliminate animal products? That's the primary source of protein... it's good to have a varied diet. If you cut out animal products you'll be eating tons of carbs. Don't get me wrong, carbs are not all bad as long as you don't have too much.
That's not totally true. I was doing a much better job than I realized. Eating red meat is not needed, either. My chicken from before, and my fish that I've added to it, are both higher in protein, with less calories. So you build more muscle, while you gain less fat. Here is what I found, for the top ten highest foods in protein. You will see that a lot of dairy, and some veges and seeds, made the list . . .

#1: Fish (Tuna, Salmon, Halibut)

Fish high in protein per fillet: Tuna (22g), Salmon (22g), Halibut (22g), Snapper (22g), Perch(21g), Flounder and Sole (21g), Cod (20g), Tilapia (17g)

#2: Lean Chicken (Chicken Breast)

More Chicken and Turkey: Chicken Leg (69g) provides 18g protein. Chicken Thigh (37g) provides 9g protein. 3oz serving of Turkey Breast (85grams) provides 26g protein.

#3: Cheese (Non-fat Mozzarella)

Other cheese high in protein per ounce(28g): Low-fat Cottage Cheese (5g), Low-fat Swiss Cheese (8g), Low-fat Cheddar (6g), Parmesan (10g), Romano (9g). *Low or Non Fat Mozzarella and Cottage Cheese provide the most protein per calorie. Full fat cheeses typically only provide 1g protein per 20 calories, and are less optimal sources of protein.

#4: Pork Loin (Chops)

Sirloin Roast 3oz (28g) provides 23g of protein, Ham 3oz (28g) provides 18g of protein, 1 slice of bacon (8g) provides 3g of protein.

#5: Lean Beef and Veal (Low Fat)

T-Bone Steak 3oz (28g) provides 19g of protein, 1 Piece of Beef Jerky (20g) provides 7g of protein.

#6: Tofu

What can I say? Tofu is Tofu!

#7: Beans (Mature Soy Beans)

Other beans high in protein per cup cooked: Kidney Beans (17g), White Beans (17g), Lima Beans (15g), Fava Beans (14g), Black Beans (15g), Mung Beans (14g).

#8: Eggs (Especially Egg Whites)

1 Egg White (33g) provides 4g protein, 1g protein to 4.4 calories.

#9: Yogurt, Milk, and Soymilk

1 cup skim milk (245g) provides 8g protein, 1 cup soymilk (243g) provides 8g protein.

#10: Nuts and Seeds (Pumpkin, Squash, and Watermelon Seeds, Peanuts, Almonds)

Other nuts and seeds high in protein (grams proten per ounce (28g)): Peanuts (7g), Almonds (6g), Pistachios (6g), Sunflower Seeds (6g), Flaxseed (5g), Mixed Nuts (4g).

Good call on concentration curls Destiny. I usually do those along with hammer curls in arm workout. A few other favourites are incline curls and negatives but the best for me these days is wide grip pull ups. Great for back and arms. Need to work harder on chest, doing flyes, incline and decline dumbbell press and also bench press but can't see to work lower pec as much as upper. Should really be doing dips more.
OK, I had to look a couple of those up. I do not do nearly as many types of exercises, as body builders do, because I do not want that sort of definition to my muscles. I only do chest exercises by chance, and what I mean by that is, for example the dips. I LOVE doing those, and although they workout the chest, they also hit the shoulders and triceps. I love working my shoulders.

As for the others that you named, I do not do any incline or decline, but I do the negatives. I do not do the wide grip pull ups, mainly because, back when I could do them, I did not have anything to do them on. However, now that I do have the equipment, it would probably kill me. Hey, I have zero problems admitting my weaknesses. That's what I'm doing this for, and you are obviously going to teach me a few things. Possibly several. So OK, what else did you mention up there . . . You also mentioned flyes, and bench presses, which are two others I will pass on. I'd rather not do that to my chest.

Talking of diet, for me this is probably the hardest part of keeping/staying fit. I'm always hungry, especially after working out and do find it a struggle if I haven't got the right foods in front of me. I'm a big meat eater anyway so plenty of chicken and steak isn't a problem but I'm bad for bread. And crisps. And chocolate bars.
I could eat two large pizzas, with room for more, but that was back in school, and my first several years out. Once I became less mobile, because of my spine, that did become a problem. I could gain weight, that I did not want, by the age of 35. Once I did start to care about that, I trained my stomach to want less food. That is why I stopped gaining weight quite a few years back. Now to lose the rest of what I gained. Once I'm back to being as hyper as I use to be, food shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Do you use protein powder supplements Destiny?
No, I am not a fan of those. To each their own, but I don't even take vitamins. I use my food and drinks for what I need. Besides, if people aren't careful, those things will help make them fat. I'm not sure how many people are aware of that.

Destiny,you're fit ^^ Hope you get back to your forms ^^ Yeah I've tried outdoor cardio and I do like it better but I don't really enjoy it,it bores me to death. :/ I hurt my knee recently so I can't excercise at all now.

Unregistered User
You probably wouldn't learn too much from me Destiny, i've not really been at this long, although like i mentioned before, it has consumed a large part of my life now.
Pull ups are a killer when you have had a break from them. I find even a week or so really sets me back.

Good call on shoulder workouts, I love them too. What exercises do you do for those?

Unregistered User
Destiny,you're fit ^^ Hope you get back to your forms ^^ Yeah I've tried outdoor cardio and I do like it better but I don't really enjoy it,it bores me to death. :/ I hurt my knee recently so I can't excercise at all now.
Sorry to hear that Gab, hope you get sorted soon.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do, and what type of injury is it?
I've done a lot of therapy with handicapped and/or injured people. Maybe there are certain exercises, for certain muscles, that we could figure out, for you.

Knee surgeon told me I need to do 6 weeks physio,then MRI and possible surgery if it's not completely healed.
It's hard to explain what happened but basically I bent my leg and turned it out too much,then lost my balance and fell on my knee. I heard a popping noise twice (I've got cracking knees anyway so maybe it's nothing) and it started hurting before I even hit the ground. It wasn't deformed,nothing's broken and it didn't swell straight away.
Surgeon told me I've sprained or partially torn front ligament and she also said I've got loose kneecap. It's funny how she said that only front of the knee is damaged whereas I feel lots of tension and some pain on the inside side of my knee. I can walk quite normally now although going upstairs is a struggle. Can't run either.

That's not totally true. I was doing a much better job than I realized. Eating red meat is not needed, either. My chicken from before, and my fish that I've added to it, are both higher in protein, with less calories. So you build more muscle, while you gain less fat. Here is what I found, for the top ten highest foods in protein. You will see that a lot of dairy, and some veges and seeds, made the list . . .

Fish high in protein per fillet: Tuna (22g), Salmon (22g), Halibut (22g), Snapper (22g), Perch(21g), Flounder and Sole (21g), Cod (20g), Tilapia (17g)

More Chicken and Turkey: Chicken Leg (69g) provides 18g protein. Chicken Thigh (37g) provides 9g protein. 3oz serving of Turkey Breast (85grams) provides 26g protein.

Other cheese high in protein per ounce(28g): Low-fat Cottage Cheese (5g), Low-fat Swiss Cheese (8g), Low-fat Cheddar (6g), Parmesan (10g), Romano (9g). *Low or Non Fat Mozzarella and Cottage Cheese provide the most protein per calorie. Full fat cheeses typically only provide 1g protein per 20 calories, and are less optimal sources of protein.

Sirloin Roast 3oz (28g) provides 23g of protein, Ham 3oz (28g) provides 18g of protein, 1 slice of bacon (8g) provides 3g of protein.

T-Bone Steak 3oz (28g) provides 19g of protein, 1 Piece of Beef Jerky (20g) provides 7g of protein.

Other beans high in protein per cup cooked: Kidney Beans (17g), White Beans (17g), Lima Beans (15g), Fava Beans (14g), Black Beans (15g), Mung Beans (14g).

1 cup skim milk (245g) provides 8g protein, 1 cup soymilk (243g) provides 8g protein.

Other nuts and seeds high in protein (grams proten per ounce (28g)): Peanuts (7g), Almonds (6g), Pistachios (6g), Sunflower Seeds (6g), Flaxseed (5g), Mixed Nuts (4g).
Well more than half the things on your list are animal products...I wasn't talking about red meat... when I say animal product I mean anything that's not vegan I almost never eat pork or red meat.
And I agree chicken and fish are the best... and also eggs What I was trying to say is that a balanced diet is probably better than just completely excluding food groups.

Good list. Tuna's a staple of mine because it's so cheap and not hard to make taste good. Tofu and soy are harmful to testosterone though, so I wouldn't recommend it for males.

A system of cells interlinked
I would lift weights, but they are too heavy.

Well more than half the things on your list are animal products...I wasn't talking about red meat... when I say animal product I mean anything that's not vegan I almost never eat pork or red meat.
And I agree chicken and fish are the best... and also eggs What I was trying to say is that a balanced diet is probably better than just completely excluding food groups.
I know, and I never said you were. I used the word totally, as in that's not "totally" true. I also added the red meat statement, not because of what I thought you were talking about, but because of what I said on how I did a much better job than I realized, with my fish and chicken. I said red meat is not needed, because there are better choices. More protein, with less calories. It wasn't because of anything you said. It's not totally true, because cutting out animal products won't hurt him. There are too many other ways to get protein.
You did give me the impression that you thought animal products were close to the only way to get protein. That's why I said that's not "totally" true. Because it's not.

Good list. Tuna's a staple of mine because it's so cheap and not hard to make taste good. Tofu and soy are harmful to testosterone though, so I wouldn't recommend it for males.
That's true. I bought it frozen, once, where you would cook it like your Tilapia, Cat Fish, Swai, Flounder, and so on . . . Ugh, I hated it! Tuna casseroles, I love.

I have never tried Tofu or Soy, but I always hear jokes about how awful they taste. I just recently saw a line on how it hurts men's testosterone. I have to wonder how true that is. Scientists forever go back and forth with things being helpful/not doing anything for us, this is bad for us/no it's OK, and so on . . . Who knows!?!

Do you by chance have a Zune? I have a million songs, movies, and even a few of my favorite TV shows on mine. It sure comes in handy for outdoor machines, as well as taking walks, gardening, and other things. If it's impossible to watch, you can still listen to it. Then again, there's also the iPad, Kindle, etc . . .

As for your knee injury, there are still several things you could do to keep in shape. If you want, you could share with us your main wishes, on what you want for yourself. Like with me, my first goal is both losing 20 lbs, possibly a pinch more, and focusing on my pour core. Just let us know.

You probably wouldn't learn too much from me Destiny, i've not really been at this long, although like i mentioned before, it has consumed a large part of my life now.
I believe I will. For starters, I have always known what I've wanted for my figure, and for the most part, how to get it. However, I've never taken the time to learn the names of the specific muscles, or the exercises for them. I only know a few common names. You know the names of so many exercises, and I didn't even know about a few. I've probably seen them done, but not enough to know the hows and what for. I believe that in time, we will all learn something from each other.

Good call on shoulder workouts, I love them too. What exercises do you do for those?
Since I don't know the proper names for these, or atleast I don't think I do, I thought it might be neat to find my favorites on video. That way, we share the best workouts, for specific body parts. Also, the video can show us all how to do them properly. I will post them soon.