Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Rosemary's Baby - 8/10

It's amazing what terror can be created with implication and nuance. This is a fine, affecting film; a fabulous commentary on women's agency and autonomy.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)

+

I liked the low key narrative but became less interested as romance bloomed. It's a very well made film with good performances. It's very nice visually but I expected more there based on what I've heard. I enjoyed it and I get the love. It's a great movie for the right viewer.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Sleepaway Camp 3: Teenage Wasteland (1989):
Fun horror film and probably my favourite of the 3. Lots of TNA so that’s .
9/10

“I was cured, all right!”

Back to the movies!

James Bond by Nolan - Really, really liked how he doesn't seen to care so much about the plot here. "Don't try to understand" ha-ha, okay.
This film looks like a collection of moments and I'm honestly fine with that.

The Raven (1963) -

In Edgar Allen Poe's classic poem The Raven, what if the narrator was a lovelorn, confidence-drained sorcerer, the titular bird was another sorcerer who had been subjected to a cruel experiment and Lenore was...well, let's just say someone who is hardly deserving of such adoration? This is what Roger Corman's 1963 movie supposes and the results are as silly as a Corman-directed horror comedy featuring Vincent Price, Peter Lorre and Boris Karloff - the bad sorcerer to Price's good and Lorre's ugly - as you would expect. Like The Comedy of Terrors from the same year, which also stars this trio, it's essentially a burlesque that is good for a laugh, but its true joy comes from seeing all these legendary actors work together. It was a nice change of pace to see Price play a role where he's not sinister or a control freak, Lorre is hilarious as the most hapless of the three sorcerers and while Karloff is yet again the bad guy, it's one that utilizes his talent for winking at the camera. The sets and costumes, like the ones in Young Frankenstein, both honor and parody the more sincere entries in its genre, and while the special effects show their age, they make up for it by being adorable. In short, it's bound to please those who love Poe's work and those who drew a blank while trying to find something to write about it in English class. Oh, and it features a young Jack Nicholson as Peter Lorre's son (!) Rexford.

Gosa [Death Bell] (Hong-Seung Yoon, 2008)
+
All the requisite aspects are there but has a bit of a dull ring to it sadly

Yes, the first one. In preparation for the sequel... I guess

'Paradise: Love (2012)
Dir.: Ulrich Seidl

1st film in the Paradise Trilogy.

So much at play in this film about love and loneliness. A meditation on first world troubles and how they meet 3rd world troubles. Westerners are entitled and want everything on their doorstep, but that pales into significance compared to the third world. It's a desperate storyline and fantastic film-making. A very brave powerful performance by Margarete Tiesel who goes on holiday to Kenya to find love. Feels like a work by Claire Denis / Ruben Ostlund.

Paradise: Love (2012)
Paradise trilogy for me is Love > Faith > Hope, will be interesting to see how you rate the other two. And I agree about the performance from Margarete Tiesel as the lead.

Paradise trilogy for me is Love > Faith > Hope, will be interesting to see how you rate the other two. And I agree about the performance from Margarete Tiesel as the lead.
Very much looking forward to the other two. Quality film-making.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985):
Ok movie, could've been better, the bus scene is awesome though.
6/10

'Paradise: Love (2012)

1st film in the Paradise Trilogy.
Terrific movie.

On a post-Halloween binge, I watched the 1979 version of Dracula for the first time in a long time, available on-demand from Comcast. It's really pretty good. Frank Langella does a much more civilized vampire than Gary Oldman. The feel of the movie is more like the old-time stage version of Stoker's book (which I've also seen performed by not-dead (as opposed to undead) players in a recent century), as in much more civilized and talky, with a well dressed vampire, complete with big, Count Chocula cape and a great teased 1970's hair coif. Dracula was nothing if not well dressed.

Most of it sorta follows the book, other than the ending, which looks like it was intended to set up a sequel that never got made. Being pre-digital, it relies on stage craft rather than digits and, like Coppola's version, that's good, given the 19th century theatricality of the original. It has howling wolves, green vapors, sexy vampirettes and nasty coffins, but I guess someone decided to keep Dracula's coffin-transporting minions English rather than the Turks in the book. Because I find 19th century theatricality to be a welcome respite from our digital world, I really enjoyed this.

The Shrine (2010)

A better than average low-budget horror mixing folk horror and possession together. It quite predictable, and the main characters are somewhat dumb, but it's still mostly entertaining.

--
Possessor (2020)

Maybe my expectations were too high after reading the highly positive reviews here, but I was disappointed by Cronenberg 2.0 effort. Thumbs up for doing few things you wouldn't expect from the 2020 movie, but even some of it felt like "look at me, I'm edgy" sort of thing. Not bad but didn't live up to the hype.

Today's noir binge:

I WAKE UP SCREAMING: 4/5 sags in the middle but starts and ends strongly.

DEADLINE USA: 4/5 Richard Brooks and Bogie make this one resonate. A grounded and somber noir with prescient subtext about the role journalism plays in the face of corporate buy outs.

The BREAKING POINT: 5/5 a masterpiece and one of the best noir

Stranger Than Paradise (Jim Jarmusch, 1984)

Jarmusch's debut is made up of three short segments, the first being a short film originally of the same title. It's very minimal in its set-up and execution, taking place almost entirely inside a small apartment after Willie's cousin Eva arrives in the US from Hungary. Through repetition Jarmusch begins to add more and more in each scene, more dialogue, more action, even if it's just sprinkles of it. Between cuts are brief moments of nothingness, which vary as the film changes pace. There's not a lot going on at all, it's pretty much the opposite of every "coming to America" film you've ever seen, yet as the film goes on you begin to get a real sense of rhythm being built through Jarmusch's decisions.

The second part moves to Cleveland, we get more characters, more locations, and a lot more laughter. I've mentioned how I really dig Jarmusch's humour and I really find the cinema scene to be a brilliant example of how he builds hilarious situations with just a few simple ingredients. Cleveland, like New York before it is unglamorous and unspectacular, Jarmusch's America is a place that explores the lives and the environments that cinema often shies away from. We then move on to Florida, more of the same. This repetition and lack of plot allows for even more humour and fun.

Whilst I don't think this is Jarmusch at his very best, I was very impressed by how much I enjoyed this debut (kind of) feature. Working on limited resources, Jarmusch turns minimalism into one of the film's strengths which is a strong testament to his talent as a writer and director.

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai (Jim Jarmusch, 1999)

Another thing I love about Jarmusch is how throughout his filmography he tackles various different genres, taking the conventional and turning things on their head with his own unique characters and worlds.

This time it's the gangster genre and in the middle of it, he chucks Forest Whitaker as a Samurai-inspired assassin who lives by a code that is shared with the viewers through on-screen messages and actions. With Jarmusch we get heroes that we don't normally get with cinema, minor characters and voices are elevated and his America seems much more realistic in its variety of cultures.

Jarmusch incorporates cinematic influences, literature, poetry and music to tell a story that's both entertaining and emotionally moving.
First of all, it's a delight seeing you share your movie thoughts again! I think part of the reason why I was somewhat underwhelmed with Melville's Le Samourai is because I'd already seen Jarmusch spiritually remake it through a Blaxploitation/Wu-Tang lens with Ghost Dog.

I've been meaning to ask you about that
for The Limits of Control in an earlier post. I've liked/loved just about everything from Jarmusch, but that was such a nothing film to me, and it seems to be almost universally panned. Just curious what in the world you liked about it or got out of the experience.

First of all, it's a delight seeing you share your movie thoughts again! I think part of the reason why I was somewhat underwhelmed with Melville's Le Samourai is because I'd already seen Jarmusch spiritually remake it through a Blaxploitation/Wu-Tang lens with Ghost Dog.
Aw but I love Le Samourai...

= (