MoFos - Identify Your Gender!

Tools    

You're so sweet and naive, CR. You dont know about all the online scams? Billions of dollars each year blown by idiots (sorry, that's a bit harsh) either through fake online relationships or every day scams like one guy on a purebreed dog forum I was on set up a scam over a few years to gain trust and pretended his wife was dying of cancer. Long story cut short he 'adopted' a special needs child and desperately needed baby clothes. He was caught by a regular (personally known to me) flogging off BAGS of expensive baby clothes on ebay that had been donated to him by women on that forum, and that's just small fry. There was another guy pretending to be a woman with ovarian cancer on that forum. He got a 5 star holiday, 'medical expenses' for his cancer treatment paid for and something else which currently escapes me

NO WAIT: IVF fees paid for before his cancer treatment to save his life started, and another person personally known to me who had just come through several years of failed IVF blew his story wide open. OMG I had forgottenabout those days. There were a group of us who all knew each other through dog showing in Aus and we were slammed relentlessly by people who didnt believe us when we called out scammers. We were labelled trolls. Eh??? Trolls waiting to call out scammers to save these lonely elderly women their hard earned money? We got sick of the criticism and stopped warning people. The forum owner got sick of yet another ttempted police action against the scammers and brought in a new rule that anyone wanting to use offtopic, marketplace etc had to be a regular of x number of years or have x number of posts to sign in to certain sub forums. The person pretending to have ovarian cancer joined just before Steve Irwin died and said if anyone wanted to donate money for flowers he would accept the transfers and take the flowers to Australia Zoo because he lived close by.

This was around 2001.

OMG another one turned out to be a teacher at a well known christian school who was grooming young teens. His house was raided by a task force in that state and his computer confiscated. He lost his job, moved interstate, and last I heard was still working in a christian school and trying to become a catholic priest.
Wow! all that stuff is so horrible that people did that. Crazy stuff, I never knew! Thanks for telling me that.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Wow! all that stuff is so horrible that people did that. Crazy stuff, I never knew! Thanks for telling me that.
You have to be really careful. Soft hearted people get sucked in, and fleeders make a living out of doing just that.

I remember another one. A person wanting to become a public figure had a little friend in living in an impoverished village outside of Nairobi that she wanted to visit and ooh la la she had pid for her tickets and everything. People knew this woman and trusted her because Oh Look, she's a local member of parliament. She wanted to buy the poor lil guy a new laptop because his computer broke. Hey guess what, one lady suggested laptops for his whole class. The next suggested there were enough nice ladies to kit out the whole school. Enough money was collected for over a few hundred laptops and scammer must have been rubbing her hands together in glee. I smelt a mighty big rat here from the start because I've been to impoverished schools outside of Nairobi. They just arent that big. Kids at impoverished schools cant even afford a pair of socks let alone a computer.

A couple of months went by and she had well and truly returned with not a word about her visit so people started asking about little Ndwiga. Finally she posted a photo of him with his laptop in his bedroom.

It was a photo of a kid taking a selfie in a computer store surrounded with gadgets

she had wiped off google.

Oh man, I've got more of these.

The worst on an animal lovers' forum was people pretending to be vet staff setting up fake accounts over lengthy periods of time to get large vet bills paid. You know, we're not talking 50 bucks here and there but tens of thousands, with bank account details set up for fake vet clinics both in aus and in developing countries for wildlife charities. This left a very sour taste in animal lovers' mouths about the amazing staff that work so hard looking after our animals. Always know who you are giving money to, or atleast be prepared to kiss it goodbye first. Back then task forces would get involved but I dont know about now. There was another scammer raided and charges laid for selling quite large ticket items on that forum's marketplace and the items were never sent, you know, like antique saddles in mint condition, rare breed puppies sold for thousands of dollars (that also made the media). Wow, looking back that forum got hit a lot over a certain period and it wasnt the only forum getting 'done' at the time. There are professional thieves out there so just be careful.

[quote=Camo;1870450]This is the craziest catfishing story - http://listverse.com/2017/05/08/top-...tfishing-case/ /QUOTE]

No! Has anyone heard of that before?

[quote=Dani8;1870477]
This is the craziest catfishing story - http://listverse.com/2017/05/08/top-...tfishing-case/ /QUOTE]

No! Has anyone heard of that before?
Insane, right? I watched a documentary on it years ago and it blew my mind. Surprised it has not been made into a movie.

[quote=Camo;1870478]

Insane, right? I watched a documentary on it years ago and it blew my mind. Surprised it has not been made into a movie.
It was. It's called Split!

I'm sure some of these people lose themselves in sock account personalities. There was a guy on imdb I became chatty with who admitted to have 100 but rumoured to have over 200.

[quote=Dani8;1870479]

It was. It's called Split!

I'm sure some of these people lose themselves in sock account personalities. There was a guy on imdb I became chatty with who admitted to have 100 but rumoured to have over 200.
Not seen Split yet. It's crazy how he kept in control for so long never slipping up and his endgoal is mindblowing. No doubt the other dudes gullibility played a major role though.

The second one i posted is really sad and revolting. Not quite as insane but still gets a what is wrong with these people?
Yeh that was sad.

There's a documentary called Catfish which got a spin off tv show. I havent seen either but heard they were intriguing. Far out. It would be interesting to hear what a shrink made of all this. Mr D's uncle is a Professor of Psychiatry. I've shown him stuff posted to me in the past and that was enough to curl his hair.

I wonder if all this instant gratification of current times makes people want to create personalities rather than just see them develop over time, but that doesnt explain 40 plus year old lonelies doing it, although they seem to have the emotional intelligence of 12 year olds who think they were born millennials.

There's a documentary called Catfish which got a spin off tv show. I havent seen either but heard they were intriguing.
I hate that doc tbh. It's fake, they made up a catfish story. Sensationalist crap IMO. There are fans of it though so maybe you'd like it.

I hate that doc tbh. It's fake, they made up a catfish story. Sensationalist crap IMO. There are fans of it though so maybe you'd like it.
Did they reveal that it's fake, or are you just thinking it is?

ahh OK thanks for the headsup. I dont want to see anything fake. There's enough fake crap on the net just talking to fake personas. I'll save myself the time and pass. Docos I prefer to be atleast a bit factual.

ahh OK thanks for the headsup. I dont want to see anything fake. There's enough fake crap on the net just talking to fake personas. I'll save myself the time and pass. Docos I prefer to be atleast a bit factual.
When i told a fan it was fake i kind of devastated them. Felt pretty bad until they came back with some the whole point was that they were catfishing the audience by getting them to believe it nonsense

When i told a fan it was fake i kind of devastated them. Felt pretty bad until they came back with some the whole point was that they were catfishing the audience by getting them to believe it nonsense
That's what I thought your first link was going to do and why I asked if anyone had heard of it/seen it reported in the uk papers. I was convinced the author would come out and say he was catphishing.

For the record, there is no solid proof it's fake. Or real. I wouldn't be surprised either way really.

That's what I thought your first link was going to do and why I asked if anyone had heard of it/seen it reported in the uk papers. I was convinced the author would come out and say he was catphishing.
Oh no, that was a real courtcase the names just can't be revealed because they were underage. It was in the media and the officers and social workers who worked on the case are in the documentary talking about it. That site lists the sources at the bottom of the article.

Catfishing, wow I never heard of that term until just today. I mean I knew there were telemarketing scams....But why would people on the internet want to pretend to be something they're not anyway, besides the scam for money thing.

It makes no sense to me. I wonder how common this all is? Crazy stuff thanks guys for posting about this.