Best Steve Martin Movie

Tools    

So... what do you think is the best Steve Martin movie?

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I'mna say LA Story, and try not to think about all the good ones I had to choose between... like Little Shop of Horrors... and Parenthood... oops, there I go! That's not an easy choice.

I'm gonna go with Plains, Trains and Automobiles with John Candy (and Steve Martin)
And found he was eating his shoe.

I'd have to go with Planes, Trains, & Automobiles too... followed by All of Me...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Tough choice between The Jerk and My Blue Heaven

I See You When You're Sleeping
It's such a difficult decision. I love him in the man with two brains but planes, trains and automobiles is far a superior film. Now I'm thinking Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, there's just too many.

I also think bowfinger was the best thing he's done in years.

I'll just do a top three for now...

L.A. Story
For me this one does it for sure, his best and most complete screenplay, plus he's just perfect acting in it. Lovely movie, one of my big-time favorites, perfectly mirroring my romantic sensibility. For some reason the critics who didn't like it at the time focused on the bits that parody life in Los Angeles. While those gags are certainly important and frequent, the center of the movie is a very funny and true parable about the magic of romance.

Pennies From Heaven
To me this is the best movie he's ever been in, period, though obviously Steve the writer had nothing to do with adapting Dennis Potter for the big screen. Brilliant film, and Martin is marvelous as the scumbag who experiences psychotic breaks as Hollywood-style Musical numbers. Such a brave move to do this right after The Jerk. Too bad nobody was ready for it then (and maybe not even now).

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
This is the other one I'd put way up high in his filmography. Ingenious and hysterical. Grafting Martin into all those old movies without the benefit of CGI but relying on lighting and costume is endlessly clever, but it's the private dick spoofing that really makes it a true winner.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I don't really like him, however it's ironic how much I liked him in Cheaper by the Dozen. I thought he was extremely funny and likeable in this film.

I See You When You're Sleeping
You actually watched Cheaper by the Dozen? You were supposed to ignore it.

I watched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels under the impression it was hilarious, frankly I wasn't impressed.

Mixed Nuts??

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

Originally Posted by Garrett
So... what do you think is the best Steve Martin movie?
the jerk

Originally Posted by MinionTV
Yeah I accidently saw that too. I wish I had ignored it.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is probably the best Steve Martin film.

Originally Posted by MinionTV
Why? I wouldn't say it was one of Steve's greatest performances, but it wasn't that bad of a flick.

The Jerk... hands down, one of the funniest movies of all time.

Ok, so you don't like Cheaper by the Dozen, but then you don't have kids right?

It wasn't that bad really.

The Jerk was his best film. Hands, down.