Mr. Show

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
So, in my HBO/Max online app, they suggested to me this quirky show starring Bob Odenkirk and David Cross. I assumed it was a new show if they were randomly suggesting it to me.

Nope, it's circa 1995–1998, an HBO sketch show sometimes in front of a small live audience, with a lot of prerecorded segments. Half-hour show, and after one episode I'm hooked. There were four seasons--season 1 is the shortest with four episodes. Seasons 3 and 4 made it up to ten episodes each.

If you appreciate their style of humor, I suspect you'll love this short-lived series. The first episode, at least, was hilarious. I think I found my next binge.

Note: the YouTube link would allow you purchase episodes there, but it'd be cheaper to just get HBO/Max for a month and watch them all there, plus everything else they offer.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mr.+show

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Free bump for great justice.

Great show, too. Throws me back to The State and Upright Citizens Brigade from around that time (I think?). And of course one cannot mention ANY of those without at least nodding to The Kids in the Hall!!!1!111

When I was in college, someone sent me an MP3 via mIRC called, "ass pennies." It probably took me a decade or more to discover that was a clip from Upright Citizens Brigade. Changed. My. Life.

Back to topic, I'm always up for some Odenkirk and Cross!!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, it's an excellent sketch show that I first heard about on here many years ago (I believe it was Holden Pike who called it a favourite?). I may be due for a rewatch, it's been a few years since I first watched the whole thing.

Not sure how you never knew about this series, but yes, it was wonderful. They did a brief sort-of-reboot for Netflix in 2015, shortened to simply "W/ Bob & David", which was only four episodes. Nowhere near as iconic and wonderful and the original series, but worth a look if you want more. Some of the same supporting folks show up again.

The movie that resulted from "Mr. Show", like most of these exercises save for Monty Python, was not very good. They decided to take Cross' white trash "America's Most Wanted" type character Ronnie Dobbs and expand it into Run Ronnie Run! (2003) which was a straight-to-DVD release. Obviously both Odenkirk and Cross have had great careers, and of late Bob has morphed into a renowned dramatic actor. While their first taste of success was the short-lived and Emmy-winning "The Ben Stiller Show" it was certainly "Mr. Show with Bob & David" that became their calling card and also was some of the first television work for a generation of their comic friends including Jack Black, Sarah Silverman, Paul F. Tompkins, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Tom Kenny, and Brian Posehn. It really took up the mantle from "The Kids in the Hall" as the next great sketch show at the time.

"It's Pumpkininny!" And whatever you do, don't stick your dick in these holes.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Adventure Starts Here!
I admit I laughed out loud when Jack Black came out the barn door and started singing. (He's such a great singer that you can almost miss that about him if you haven't heard of Tenacious D.)

I did a search here for "Mr. Show" but turned up nothing so I started this thread. And the only reason I think I missed it was that I was newly divorced/single at that time, very poor, and living hand to mouth quite a bit. Frankly, I could have used laughs like these at the time. But hey, twenty-plus years later is okay too.

The sketch about getting change for a dollar was laugh-out-loud funny. And yes, I did laugh out loud.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
How I visualize several people I've interacted with in movie forums over the years:

OMGOSH!
Is that Gail the Snail?!