Star Wars: Rogue One (the first Star Wars Spin-off)

→ in
Tools    

I didn't say he didn't have a point. I agree that the expanded universe didn't kill the franchise.

I was just pointing out his comment on them turning the expanded universe into movies was wrong as they aren't canon anymore.
Any idea why they scrapped the old canon? Just so the movies would be fresh instead of identical to the plot of the books?

I think so.
I think it's for creative differences.

Being tied to the books would make the films predictable anyways so in a way it's a good thing. It gives a nice and fresh approach to the movies.

I was never really a fan of the books myself so it doesn't make a difference to me.

Any idea why they scrapped the old canon? Just so the movies would be fresh instead of identical to the plot of the books?
They reduced the number of canonical products out there so more people would buy it, easy to follow and they don't compete with their own product when trying to sell the new stuff.

I think so.
I think it's for creative differences.

Being tied to the books would make the films predictable anyways so in a way it's a good thing. It gives a nice and fresh approach to the movies.

I was never really a fan of the books myself so it doesn't make a difference to me.
In that context why destroy everything before ROTJ or even the Old Republic stuff?

Donnie Yen, in negotiations for a part as a Jedi in Episode 8, is apparently to make a showing in Rogue One as well.

What exactly is known so far.....

Release Date: December 16, 2016 (3D/2D theaters and IMAX)
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Lucasfilm
Director: Gareth Edwards
Screenwriters: Chris Weitz, Gary Whitta
Starring: Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Riz Ahmed, Sam Claflin, Ben Mendelsohn, Forest Whitaker
Plot: A rogue band of resistance fighters unite to steal the Death Star plans and bring new hope to the galaxy.

It is now known that Darth Vader will be in Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One. According to BMD, the Dark Lord of the Sith will indeed make an appearance in the first spin-off movie. It isn’t expected to be a large role, he may appear via viewscreen or hologram, and is likely not the primary antagonist of the film.

It’s too early to know whether Lucasfilm will seek out James Earl Jones to reprise that iconic voice, but it would seem foolish not to.

Source: BMD

A system of cells interlinked
Happy to hear Felicity Jones is starring! I love her.
Except that Tatiana Maslany was also up for the role and is 1000 times the actress. Oh wait, this is a Star Wars film: Acting is not important in Star Wars.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The more I read and hear about this, the more excited I get. Then I start thinking about the day Disney retcons Ep I-III.

Plus, I realized this will now be on MG's must see list.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Very flimsy rumor here!

WARNING: spoilers below

slashfilm.com/mads-mikkelsen-star-wars-character/

Considering the fact that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is still over three months away, it’s no surprise that a lot of details on Star Wars: Rogue One are still sparse, despite production being underway right now across the pond. But one particular detail may have just come to light.
A fan attending FanExpo this past weekend was able to get Mads Mikkelsen to sign a poster, and in addition to the actor’s autograph, the Hannibal star also put another word in quotations. Some have come to believe it’s a character name belonging to the Mads Mikkelsen Star Wars character.
Rebel Force Radio (via Jedi News) has a picture of the autograph you can see here:

That says “Galen” under Mikkelsen’s autograph. And the reason people believe this is the actor’s character name in Star Wars: Rogue One is because of the other visible signature on the poster. That’s the autograph of Phil LaMarr, who voiced Kit Fisto in The Clone Wars animated series. So if he’s putting his Star Wars character name on this poster, it stands to reason that’s exactly what Mikkelsen did as well. So does this tell us anything?
Well, Star Wars fans who have played the video game The Force Unleashed know that there’s a very powerful Force-user named Galen Marek as the main character. Galen became known as Starkiller and was the secret apprentice of Darth Vader. He may even have been more powerful than Vader himself since he used the Force to crash a Star Destroyer.

While some fans have hoped to see the character of Galen Marek become part of the Star Wars universe outside of the video game, I can’t imagine that will be the case in Star Wars: Rogue One. After all, we’ve heard that there won’t be any Jedi in Rogue One as it’s meant to focus on a group of soldiers attempting to steal the plans to the Death Star. So the inclusion of Galen Marek doesn’t make sense.

It’s far more likely that the writers of Rogue One wanted to give a little hat tip to that fan favorite character by bringing the name Galen into Star Wars canon. Perhaps they even did it so that fans would speculate just like this, and if that’s the case, mission accomplished. Stay tuned to see what else we learn about Star Wars: Rogue One down the road.

Do it!

"Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" if you weren't aware that Disney bought Lucasfilms, you are now. This has PG written all over it.

I get that the studios think the GA are a bunch of idiots and won't know what "Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One " means but come on it was such a much better title.

"Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" if you weren't aware that Disney bought Lucasfilms, you are now. This has PG written all over it.
Force Awakens is PG-13 for sci-fi action and violence. Not many films like Star Wars has had anything higher than that. Most likely Rogue will receive the same rating.

There better be a full on mean nasty vader in this movie. Cause if he capture s princess leia s ship then all likely events he had to have captured or had been in hot pursuit of this unit.

I really liked Felicity Jones in Like Crazy. But I don't think I've seen much else of her. Anyway, I will remain skeptical for now. We'll see how the movie looks closer to release. As for the Canon being trampled on, that's pretty much par for the course the more money something starts making. They don't care about the work that other artists made. George Lucas couldn't even maintain continuity in Revenge of the Sith with his own work. You think Disney is going to be able to keep track of all the books? It's just easier to rely on only the other Star Wars films. They're probably just doing it for the sake of an easier approach. Anyway, I don't care about what's canon and what's not. It's all fiction anyway. As far as I'm concerned the new movies are non-canon, because I consider canon in fiction to be the older it is the higher priority it gets. That's just the way I like to look at it because I can't stand it when great books are written over by mediocre movies. I just don't like it when people trample on other people's work and make no effort to maintain continuity because they're too lazy to actually do any research about anything. Like when the best pilot in the galaxy is played by an actor who knows nothing about piloting and instead of talking to any real pilots just asks an older actor what it's like to pretend to be a pilot.

If any of the new Star Wars movies are somewhat entertaining and somewhat watchable then I'll probably still be able to enjoy them at least. That's all I am really hoping for. If they're as good as The Hunger Games and not as bad as Mad Max: Fury Road, then I'll be okay with them.

I really liked Felicity Jones in Like Crazy. But I don't think I've seen much else of her. Anyway, I will remain skeptical for now. We'll see how the movie looks closer to release. As for the Canon being trampled on, that's pretty much par for the course the more money something starts making. They don't care about the work that other artists made. George Lucas couldn't even maintain continuity in Revenge of the Sith with his own work. You think Disney is going to be able to keep track of all the books? It's just easier to rely on only the other Star Wars films. They're probably just doing it for the sake of an easier approach. Anyway, I don't care about what's canon and what's not. It's all fiction anyway. I just don't like it when people trample on other people's work and make no effort to maintain continuity because they're too lazy to actually do any research about anything. Like when the best pilot in the galaxy is played by an actor who knows nothing about piloting and instead of talking to any real pilots just asks an older actor what it's like to pretend to be a pilot.

If any of the new Star Wars movies are somewhat entertaining and somewhat watchable then I'll probably still be able to enjoy them at least. That's all I am really hoping for. If they're as good as The Hunger Games and not as bad as Mad Max: Fury Road, then I'll be okay with them.

The books aren't canon, so they won't need to follow them for continuity.
This was what they're doing with Ep7+ as well, so whatever has been written in those books is now null and void.

This was also why they released a set of new books that take place between Eps 6 and 7.

The books aren't canon, so they won't need to follow them for continuity.
This was what they're doing with Ep7+ as well, so whatever has been written in those books is now null and void.

This was also why they released a set of new books that take place between Eps 6 and 7.
All the new books, video games, TV Shows and comic books coming out are the "New Canon" though and I think they are just setting themselves up for failure here, they should of just made the Movies the only "true canon" unless they wanna implement stuff from the Legends and the new expanded universe in the films.

The entire SW universe (books, movies, games....) are all canon in one retrospective or another. They all are part of the same universe.
What they are saying is Abrams specifically said the books are not considered canon. This way he has avoided having to worry about Zahns and Anderson's novels which took place directly after Jedi.