Mofo Bros Top 100: A Raul and Sean Production

→ in
Tools    

I don’t think so. I generally think Grand Budapest is Wes’s instincts dialed up a couple notches. Naturally I love it.
I like Wes Anderson dialed down a couple of notches...I.E. Bottle Rocket.

I like Wes Anderson dialed down a couple of notches...I.E. Bottle Rocket.
Love them all. My son has been watching all of Wes with me. We just watched Bottle Rocket last week. So great.

Every time I watch this I think it might be the time when it hasn't aged well. I think it's way relevant beyond Facebook though, and it's perfectly constructed. I love it more each viewing.

I had never even heard of this movie till a few years ago, and it's tailor made for me in every way. Stewart, of course. Pretty dark tale, and a very long courtroom sequence. Perfection.

Such a cool concept. Maclaine and Lemmon are an absolute delight together. Throw in a little MacMurray for good measure. Oh that ending. Man, we are down into the good stuff now.

Okay I got a little nostalgia left for the list, but what sweet nostalgia it is. See below for another young Sean fave.

Just listen to that score as the scroll starts, few things better in movies.

Every time I watch this I think it might be the time when it hasn't aged well. I think it's way relevant beyond Facebook though, and it's perfectly constructed. I love it more each viewing.

I had never even heard of this movie till a few years ago, and it's tailor made for me in every way. Stewart, of course. Pretty dark tale, and a very long courtroom sequence. Perfection.

Such a cool concept. Maclaine and Lemmon are an absolute delight together. Throw in a little MacMurray for good measure. Oh that ending. Man, we are down into the good stuff now.

Okay I got a little nostalgia left for the list, but what sweet nostalgia it is. See below for another young Sean fave.

I haven't seen Anatomy of a Murder yet, but I like the other four a lot, with my favorite being The Social Network.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

Ben Affleck nailed Lehanes novel in my opinion. Perfect casting, with a great performance by Casey Affleck. Love the story. Shot really well. Pained me to put it here but we are down to the nitty gritty.

Network is only ok for me.

Anatomy is great, top 25 of a loaded 50s for me.

Just re-watched the Apartment a few days ago. I don't love it but I did bump the rating. It's middle tier Wilder to me but that says more about how great his films are than anything.

I like Rocky I think the second go it lost a little luster but still good.

I wish I grew up with Star Wars but I literally didn't see it till nearly five years ago. It's really good and could have a shot at a future top 100.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

A great trio of acting, Monroe is stunning, Lemmon is hilarious. The writing by Billy Wilder is awesome. Great beginning. Great ending. Yeah, everything I look for in a movie.

Some Like It Hot isn't my favorite Billy Wilder movie, but it's a fun movie.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I only saw The Social Network once, and that was several years ago, but I vaguely remember liking it. Maybe it's time for a rewatch.

I love a good courtroom drama, and Anatomy of a Murder is one of the best.

It took me a few rewatches to finally appreciate The Apartment, but now I think it is one of Billy Wilder's best movies.

I'm not a fan of Sylvester Stallone, but Rocky turned out to be a much better movie than I expected.

I first saw Star Wars in the theater back in 1977, and it's been one of my favorite movies ever since then.

Sean's 15 Prediction with Placement in Parenthesis

Pulp Fiction (2)
Godfather (1)
The Master (13)
Magnolia (3)
Once Upon a Time in the West(6)
Persona (5)
Vivre Sa Vie (14)
Annie Hall (4)
Le Cercle Rouge (10)
Rushmore (7)
Fargo (12)
Goodfellas (11)
Barton Fink (9)
Tree of Life (8)
No Country for Old Men (15)

I remember thinking Gone Baby Gone was good, but I don't remember much else. I plan to rewatch it for the countdown but I doubt it'll make my ballot.

Everything else listed since my last post I either haven't seen or don't like.

My 15 prediction for Rauldc:

Shawshank Redemption
Rear Window
Casablanca
Spirited Away
Man On Fire
Sansho The Balifff
La La Land
The Descendants
Unforgiven
Million Dollar Baby
Mystic River
On The Waterfront
The Player
The Departed
Frances Ha

I'm a bit of a Fincher fan myself, but I'd say The Social Network, despite being great, falls behind Zodiac, Se7en and especially Fight Club.

My personal favorite space opera movie is, expectedly, The Empire Strikes Back. It could have been Star Wars, but there just wasn't enough lightsaber. Still, it's the second best of the Star Wars films. But as long as we're on the subject of the score, the soundtrack's part of my top 100 albums. I've got a few movie scores there.

One surprise for Rauldc. Pretty dead on with the other 4

Watched this for the second time last year and was blown away for the second time. First off, it's not doing anything out of the ordinary but it look absolutely stunning. Like why can't all B&W movies look like this. I'm not a poetry guy, but there are a couple of movies that just feel like amazing poetry. They are simply ethereal. This movie gives me that feeling. It's what being high must be like.

Two of my favorite performances of the last 15 years. The processing scene has a shot at being my favorite ever. Haven't watched this in a couple years. I need to change that because it very well could shoot back into my top ten. It's better every viewing.

Scorsese crosses every barrier. The dudes who think this lifestyle is cool love it. The people who think it's a cautionary tale love it. The cinephiles love it. My mom thinks there is too much swearing, but still think it's great. Goodfellas is amazing cinema.

Godard is taking a simple, melancholy story and adding his visual flare. One of the best 90 minutes in movies. Karina is wonderful. Love the tragic ending.

Best villain ever. A great Tommy Lee Jones performance. Tragic scenes, fun scenes, tense scenes. This has it all. Not really something I expected from the Coen brothers, but of curse they knocked it out of the park.

Love them all. My son has been watching all of Wes with me. We just watched Bottle Rocket last week. So great.
That's really cool that you can share your enthusisim for a director with your son. Wes Anderson would seem to be kid friendly too.

I have liked some Wes Anderson films. I think I need to go into his movies knowing they aren't going to be traditional story telling. I do plan on catching more of his stuff.

Just listen to that score as the scroll starts, few things better in movies.[/quote]The Social Network...I was disappointed in this. I can't remember exactly why now, but it felt like a movie that was conscious of itself and trying to hard to score points with the audience. That's the same thing I noticed in Zodiac recently. So far I'm not a fan of David Fincher.

Anatomy of a Murder...I have you to blame err I mean thank for introducing me to this movie in an HoF. Such a perfect, engaging film. I rated it a 4.5. One of the all time greats.

The Apartment...seen it once almost 20 years ago and have never forgot it. If there wasn't so many movies to watch I'd be able to get back and rewatch some of these classics.

Rocky...I'd never seen it until recently when it was nominated in an HoF. I loved the first part about a shy man and an introverted woman trying to start a relationship. The boxing part was good too, but mostly I liked the first part of the film for it's human interest.

Star Wars...I know now it's called something different and one can't find the original version as George Lucas has mucked it up by retrofitting it. I'm not a star wars fan per say, but the first three and especially the first 2 made were all kinds of great.

My 15 prediction for Rauldc:

Shawshank Redemption
Rear Window
Casablanca
Spirited Away
Man On Fire
Sansho The Balifff
La La Land
The Descendants
Unforgiven
Million Dollar Baby