David Lynch

Tools    

Hi all !

I write you to have some feedback about my site on David Lynch : http://www.aboutlynch.com ( french link)
http://www.aboutlynch.com/english/ (english link)
And also to ask you if you know some sites with cool and interesting interviews, articles or trailers aboout him ?

Are you happy if the new david lynch's movie " Mulholland drive" is in official competion at Cannes 2001 ?

Very professional job, Loonny. Two thumbs up. Unfortunately, I haven't heard much of Mulholly Drive on the grapevine so far.

Thanks for the feeback, it's really important to develop a site.
Hey ! Just a simple question but did the movie " Le pacte des loups " (in english: wolves'deal) is appear in US ? Do you know it ?
It's a french movie on the Gévaudan's beast by Christopher Gans.

MovieForums Extra
It's a great site Loonny! I'm not sure if the movie came out in the US, but I remember hearing something about it here in Australia, at an Alliance Francaise film festival...

Thanks again !!
See it if you can, it's really cool.

Hi all !

Last movie of David Lynch is in official competition at Cannes festival 2001 ....Really happy !!
You can find also Joel Cohen in the list and many great directors !

Lynch is indeed a one of a kind and I love just about everything he's done...(Even DUNE). Always original and inspirational Lynch's marchs to the beat of his own drum. His visions always stimulate and often perturb, funny and surreal thank god he has never changed.

LOST HIGHWAY (9/10) or BLUE VELVET (9/10) are my 2 faves.

MULLHOLAND DRIVE- 8.5/10
WILD AT HEART- 8/10
ERASER HEAD- 8.5/10
THE ELEPHANT MAN- 8.5/10
HOTEL ROOM- 8/10

Ive also enjoyed Lynch's entry as Horror film producer with NADJA... a truly inspired Vampire film with perfect songs from Portishead. His next is CABIN FEVER which is written and directed by his Protege.

Wild at Heart is a beautiful movie. Eraserhead is pretty incredible too.

Bringing this one back from the depths to challenge what BobbyB said in another thread about Blue Velvet being not so good with "scenes of brilliance lost in an average" movie. I disagree, the film's got so much frickin depth it's unbelievable, i'd say more so than Mulholland Dr and INLAND EMPIRE which are more about narrative decyphering whereas Blue Velvet is a stunning Freudian exploration into subconscious. It's incorporation of this into a linear story make it almost my favourite Lynch film and definitely one to put in a top 10. I also write an essay on the film if anyone's interesting in reading it, scored well.

A system of cells interlinked
I love the film, and consider it to be one of the best films of the 80s. Staggering study into the darker side of the small American town. Love it.

Also, Rumor has it that they are finally making a little progress on getting Lost Highway pressed to a region 1 wide screen version, with the studio claiming they have gotten "numerous emails from fans" about the subject, and are "looking into it for a possible re-release in the future."

I can't even find the site I read that on, so, it probably isn't true, but man, I sure hope so...

My next DVD player will certainly be region free, that is for sure...

Meanwhile, the last Lynch movie I haven't seen, Fire Walk With Me, is in my mailbox at home, right now... Thoughts on it later...

I've only seen two of his films, and I really admire his directorial style. Here are my Flixster reviews of both of them:

Blue Velvet - 1986

-A menacing, aggressively coarse shocker that deserves a certain amount of respect simply on the basis of Lynch's impeccable direction. The stylish tone is unbelievably haunting and effective, and it's really what carries the film. The lead character is rather uninteresting, and so is the lead performance, but Lynch's approach makes the piece memorable. The music is great too.- 3.5/5

Mulholland Dr. - 2001

-Wow. A beautiful, haunting thriller bursting with atmosphere and style. Much more romantic than Blue Velvet, this one also has more emotional roots underneath its maniacal weirdness. From what little of his work I've seen, I can tell that David Lynch is a masterful film stylist and a fiercely original cinema voice.- 4.5/5

See the trailer here:

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Bringing this one back from the depths to challenge what BobbyB said in another thread about Blue Velvet being not so good with "scenes of brilliance lost in an average" movie. I disagree, the film's got so much frickin depth it's unbelievable, i'd say more so than Mulholland Dr and INLAND EMPIRE which are more about narrative decyphering whereas Blue Velvet is a stunning Freudian exploration into subconscious. It's incorporation of this into a linear story make it almost my favourite Lynch film and definitely one to put in a top 10. I also write an essay on the film if anyone's interesting in reading it, scored well.
Well, I know I'm in the minority, but there was so much in this movie that made me want to gag.

Like...

* Anytime Kyle MacLachlan was on screen...
* Laura Dern's dream about the "Blinding light of love"
* Improbable all around. Not the people, but the way everything transpired.

I just didn't like it, but those main things stuck out. There were some great moments though.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
My favourite Lynch film is The Elephant Man. I like the restraint in this film, despite Lynch's reputation as the King of Weird. I also really like Mulholland Drive. There is something so beautiful and compelling about the film that it doesn't even matter that it doesn't make sense; although it had me spending days afterwards puzzling it over.

I must admit that Blue Velvet is one of those films that I just haven't got the courage to watch yet.

Well, Frank (another amazing asset to the film, who Hopper plays without perfectly) is the same character as Jeffery.....

Dern's dream is just one of points to layer the surface, i havn't seen it recently enough but it's meant to be sickly, it's the irony and contrast between the underbelly. The improbality is mostly since most of it transpires in Jeffrey's subconscious.

A system of cells interlinked
* Anytime Kyle MacLachlan was on screen...

Ack! Such a GREAT actor. One of my favorites, for sure. Perfect for Lynch's style, and his turn as Jeffrey is perfect. I can't see anyone else handling that role, not even close.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Well, Frank (another amazing asset to the film, who Hopper plays without perfectly) is the same character as Jeffery.....

Dern's dream is just one of points to layer the surface, i havn't seen it recently enough but it's meant to be sickly, it's the irony and contrast between the underbelly. The improbality is mostly since most of it transpires in Jeffrey's subconscious.
HHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDD UUUPPPPPP!!!

You're reaching here. This is a small town mystery movie from Lynch. This isn't one of his mind-benders. This is a straight story here. It's not his subconscious.

Am I alone here? Because I totally did NOT get that out of the movie. There's nothing there that suggests such a thing. Not in the least.

There is SO much that suggests it. That's what got me at first, i always thought it was a straight forward story. For instance, think over the lyrics of the Candy Coloured Clown song when Frank sings it to Jeffrey. It's all about Freudian impulses in the subconscious, the Oedipal complex, voyeurism. Jeffrey's real story starts when he goes into the closet and ends when he leaves it, the mix of surrealism throughout, the doubles. That's why i love this film so much, there's so much in it that Lynch doesn't draw attention to like his later films, imo it's far more intelligent in that it can be both these films. It ties into the theme of surfaces throughout the film, on the surface it's a simple story but underneath there's a lot more, like the underbelly of the society.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
There is SO much that suggests it. That's what got me at first, i always thought it was a straight forward story. For instance, think over the lyrics of the Candy Coloured Clown song when Frank sings it to Jeffrey. It's all about Freudian impulses in the subconscious, the Oedipal complex, voyeurism. Jeffrey's real story starts when he goes into the closet and ends when he leaves it, the mix of surrealism throughout, the doubles. That's why i love this film so much, there's so much in it that Lynch doesn't draw attention to like his later films, imo it's far more intelligent in that it can be both these films. It ties into the theme of surfaces throughout the film, on the surface it's a simple story but underneath there's a lot more, like the underbelly of the society.
Well, I'll have to read your essay, because I don't think there is anything there to suggest a change from reality. No clues whatsoever.

"In dreams i talk to you"

How does that not. My essay isn't about it per se, it's about the film as surrealist but in research found there's an overwhelming amount on it. Watch it again, and i'm sure you'll see some evidence, if you don't then come back to me.