Good Evening: HitchFan's Top 50, 3rd Edition

→ in
Tools    

I watched Cries and Whispers as by your recommendation, and 100% agree. And extremely powerful excruciating films, and while it is by no means an easy watch, it's still beautiful, and essential

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I haven't seen Short Cuts, but two other films are masterworks!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Short Cuts and Blade Runner are great, although I want to re watch the first again. Not seen Cries and Whispers, but as with most films on the list, I need to.

Great set.

Which version of Blade Runner is your favourite?
Probably the final cut.

I like Blade Runner well enough, as far as Sci-Fi goes it's up there with the best in a genre I'm not that into.

Still need to see the other two. Short Cuts I imagine I'd like given the Magnolia comparisons, and I've liked what I've seen from Altman so far. Cries and Whispers is just one of many on my Bergman watchlist, who I'm much more inclined towards after seeing Fanny and Alexander. I was still on the fence a little after The Seventh Seal and Persona.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Have not seen Cries and Whispers nor Short Cuts but Blade Runner is my all-time favorite film. +1

#33: McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Directed by Robert Altman

Robert Altman's deliriously unconventional Western is easily my favorite film from one of my least favorite genres. He shows the West as it really was (something I think most other movies of its kind fail to do), but yet it seamlessly blends this melancholic sense of realism with an almost surrealistic touch. A fascinating tale of capitalism and the relationship between love and business, McCabe & Mrs. Miller is perhaps the pinnacle of Altman's genre revisionism.

#32: La Dolce Vita
Directed by Federico Fellini

I've mentioned this before, but La Dolce Vita was the first foreign film I really fell in love with. I'm still not very well-versed on Fellini (this is one of only three movies from him that I've seen), but it's definitely my favorite. I can't tell you how much I'd love to live in the Rome of this film, but yet there's still a sadness about Marcello's existence; he's searching for meaning in a place that exists only for superficiality. Immensely entertaining and full of countless memorable set-pieces, I'd even recommend this one for people who don't love arthouse movies that much - they might just find themselves hooked.

#31: The Empire Strikes Back
Directed by Irvin Kershner

This is, for me at least, the definitive Star Wars movie. I've been a fan of the series for about as long as I can remember, and in retrospect The Empire Strikes Back is clearly the best; which of the other five movies can claim as many memorable moments to its name? The Battle of Hoth, the introduction of the Emperor, Yoda, and Lando, Han being frozen in carbonite, and of course the reveal of Darth Vader as Luke's father. I hope I didn't need spoiler tags for that last one.

I like Blade Runner well enough, as far as Sci-Fi goes it's up there with the best in a genre I'm not that into.

Still need to see the other two. Short Cuts I imagine I'd like given the Magnolia comparisons, and I've liked what I've seen from Altman so far. Cries and Whispers is just one of many on my Bergman watchlist, who I'm much more inclined towards after seeing Fanny and Alexander. I was still on the fence a little after The Seventh Seal and Persona.
Skepsis' first sentence, pretty much explains my opinion of Blade Runner, and i haven't seen the other two. Empire is my favourite of the Star Wars films, one of the few sci-fi films i enjoy.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller is absolutely brilliant, one of my favourite films and for me Altman's second best, just behind The Long Goodbye. The Empire Strikes Back is great too. Not seen La Dolce Vita, although it's next on my Fellini watchlist, I have seen which I think is a masterpiece, then La Strada and Amarcord which I thought were decent but not that great.

Amarcord I really love, and I have mixed feelings on 8 1/2. However, it's playing at a nearby theater this week so I'll have a great opportunity to reevaluate it.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller is a very one noted film, and while it has strong points like the score, color usage and scenery, it just felt like being in a car for to long. La Dolce Vita is an amazing film, my introduction to Fellini, and he hasn't matched it since. What an enjoyable surrounding to the film, even during the dark moments. When I watched Empire Strikes Back I liked it

You have a brilliant taste, Hitchfan!

Short Cuts made my '90s list and is a very impressing piece of film with a great ensemble cast. Altman observes very different sides of the suburban L.A. society, but somehow finds a truthful connection. I think it has become my fourth favorite Altman film by now. I love it!

Blade Runner is just one of the most atmospherically beautiful films I've ever seen. Besides that there are also the interesting and indeed intelligent themes this movie exposes in a way that works very well.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller is my third favorite Altman film. The intense performances (and characters) from Beatty and Christie and the unique industrial western environment formed together a very poetic film about the deepest inner feelings, power, unfairness and of course society in general.

La Dolce Vita means exactly to me what you described there. It's about a man who seemingly lives the perfect life full of parties and glamour, but who is still lost and can't find anything that makes life really worthwile in the middle of what you describe very well as a place that exists only for superficiality. Brilliant picture and a must see for everyone!

The Empire Strikes Back is also my favorite Star Wars film. It has everything, including one of the greatest plot twists of all time and the start of one of the funniest, yet sweetest romances in film history (for me).
"I love you."
"I know."

Empire is great and on my 100. La Dolce Vita bored me to death and I don't care for Westerns, so I've not seen McCabe & Mrs. Miller.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Altman was a major revisionist but sometimes he goes so far that he turns his films into something resembling shaggy-dog jokes. McCabe is probably too elegaic to go that far but some of his favorite films here do, I think. Shutting up so as not to hijack the thread.