Good Evening: HitchFan's Top 50, 3rd Edition

→ in
Tools    

I hope it's not too gratuitous of me to have three top fifty lists, but seeing as the last one I made was over a year and a half ago, I think you'll see quite a few changes. And what better day to kick it off than Sir Alfred's birthday! Without further adieu:

#51: My Night at Maud's
Directed by Eric Rohmer

I need to see more Rohmer, but this one really connected with me. I've been raised Catholic, so naturally the film's themes of morality and the need to reconcile religion with intellectualism really struck a nerve with me. It's a movie about a lot of 'big ideas' and definitely something that will reward repeat viewings. Rohmer takes great advantage of the winter setting and Maud herself has to be one of my favorite female characters ever.

#50: Inland Empire
Directed by David Lynch

One of my favorite films from the King of Weird is also, arguably, his wackiest movie. Like Mulholland Drive, it explores the dark underbelly of Hollywood, but I like this one best as a David Lynch's Greatest Hits album. It's full of great moments that are totally emblematic of its directors career: the Locomotion dance, the rabbits, and of course the finale. At once beautiful and ugly, Inland Empire would be the ultimate swan song for Lynch if he really is done with narrative film.

#49: Dazed and Confused
Directed by Richard Linklater

My favorite high school movie because, unlike so many films of its kind, Dazed and Confused does not wallow in sentiment and nostalgia; in fact, it openly denounces these elements. "All I'm saying is that if I ever start referring to these as the best years of my life, remind me to kill myself," says one of the characters, and that sort of sums up the tone of this movie. Obviously, some of the events themselves are probably quite exaggerated, but that doesn't matter. Linklater is working from his own memories, and aren't the way we remember things often quite different from what they really are? The important part is that the emotions could not be more accurate or true to life. No film I've seen is so honest in its portrayal of the confusion, the insecurity, and the ecstasy of high school.

Cool!

+rep for Dazed and Confused, not Linklater's best, but up there in the top 3 for sure.

I have a feeling you're going to really embarrass me in the foreign/art/classic films seen stakes.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
That's two good films straight off the bat! (Inland, Dazed) Haven't seen the other one yet mind.

And it's not gratuitous. Don't worry

Reviews

Also, kudos for sticking with 50. Sometimes I think I should have done the same. I ended up putting a few near the bottom that I don't quite think I love enough to be there. Oh well.

and a prediction: 5 Hitchcock films.

Also, kudos for sticking with 50. Sometimes I think I should have done the same. I ended up putting a few near the bottom that I don't quite think I love enough to be there. Oh well.

and a prediction: 5 Hitchcock films.
Yeah, I felt like 100 would be a stretch right now - with 50, I feel like there's not a HUGE gap in my love for the movie at the top and the one at the bottom. As for your prediction, you'll have to wait and see

I'm excited for the rest of this list.

You're the one who encouraged me to watch My Night At Mauds and while it did have some smart dialogue, I didn't find it intriguing to my self nature. But then again I wasn't raised Catholic. I haven't Inland yet, but as you already know I enjoyed Dazed and Confused. you get an from me

Looking forward to the list

Never heard of the first one. I've been meaning to watch Inland Empire, along with most of Lynch's films. I've heard of a few people it's his most difficult film. for Dazed and Confused, i love that movie and had it at 6 on my 90s list.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Inland Empire is awesome, Dazed and Confused is great, and the other is on my watchlist. So a great start HitchFan, we both know that I am going to love this list

Without further adieu
This is a pun, right?

Great to see Dazed & Confused on here, as I love that film.

Looking forward to this new list, Hitch, and I don't think it's too much as you're young and have been exposed to a hell of a lot of films in the last 18 months, so a new list is appropriate.

Finished here. It's been fun.
You just convinced me to watch Inland Empire. Look forward to seeing the rest.

You just convinced me to watch Inland Empire. Look forward to seeing the rest.
Hope you enjoy it! Given your love of Mulholland Drive, I'm sure you will.

Here's the next set:

#48: Blow-Up
Directed by Michelangelo Antonioni

Is there any film that better depicts the 60s? I can't say, because I wasn't around then, but it sure matches my image of the decade. Blow-Up starts as a mystery, but as always with Antonioni, everything is not what it seems. Instead, the film gradually transforms into a commentary on how our obsessions can swallow us whole and how sometimes, truth is not a matter of black and white. Like most of its directors films, this one is visually stunning, and one of the two truly essential movies he directed; the other is coming up later.

#47: Le Cercle Rouge
Directed by Jean-Pierre Melville

Melville is just about the coolest director ever, and this is my favorite of his films. Everything about it is so meticulously crafted and constructed that you'd think Melville himself is more calculating than the criminals in his movie. At any rate, Le Cercle Rouge is clearly the work of a seasoned master, but it's more than just one of the best crime dramas I've ever seen. It's also an exploration of honor and loyalty, humanizing its protagonists in ways that many similar films are too lazy (or too afraid) to do.

#46: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Directed by Mike Nichols

This is the kind of film that I immediately connect with: a captivating look at real people and the emotions that we usually don't like to talk about. It's not often that Hollywood films are brave enough to deal with characters and themes like the ones found in Nichols' debut, but they're dealt here with unflinching honesty and humanity. What really amazed me was how often my sympathies shifted, especially in regards to Elizabeth Taylor's character. It's an emotional rollercoaster ride and a potent demonstration that even the most seemingly placid of lives can be harboring destructive feelings that are just waiting to bubble to the surface.