Most Popular Movies on MoFo?

Tools    

It depends on the methodology. If ranking plays a major role, then love-them-or-hate-them films, or films with a small but very fervent following, will do fairly well. If it's more about breadth of popularity (not particularly weighted by the order of the submitted lists), then you'll get a fairly different outcome.
I took that into consideration when I made my predictions. Something like The Godfather or Lord of the Rings is likely to appear on a ton of lists but not necessarily high up on those lists, whereas something like Persona or Mulholland Drive will appear near or at the top of the lists of those who really love them.

I like Forbidden Planet quite a bit. Not as much as you, but it is a classic in more then one way. Classic sci-fi and a re imagining of Shakespeare's The Tempest. And it has the late great Leslie Nielsen in an early pre Airplane serious role.
makes sense. i guess i put movies like that in my top 10 partially to try and remind myself not to get too serious about my movie judgments. and just try to have fun with it. i mean the effects are dated, there are tons of movies with more acclaimed acting, directing, some guy holding the camera in exactly the right place more often, flawless lighting, etc. but a goofy "flawed" movie that grips me i find curiously more valuable than one that's calculated, shiny, and meticulously flawless

I love 2001, but oh dear God do I dislike Tarantino's movies! So overrated.

THERE I SAID IT! COME AT ME INTERNET!
although i couldn't stay awake for 2001, i'd get you a beer gunslinger, for that

makes sense. i guess i put movies like that in my top 10 partially to try and remind myself not to get too serious about my movie judgments. and just try to have fun with it. i mean the effects are dated, there are tons of movies with more acclaimed acting, directing, some guy holding the camera in exactly the right place more often, flawless lighting, etc. but a goofy "flawed" movie that grips me i find curiously more valuable than one that's calculated, shiny, and meticulously flawless
I have Red Dawn in my top ten along with The Book of Eli and Clerks. Pretentious we certainly are not.

Making a top ten is an extremely difficult task, and I'd probably have to rewatch a lot of movies to do so.

At the moment I'd be inclined to include, in addition to The Godfather, Apocalypse Now and 2001

- Synecdoche, New York (I find it even more brilliant than Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)
- Rashomon
- a few movies that I've watched since I came to this site: Aguirre: Wrath of God, Stalker and Persona
- Casablanca
- I'd also want to make room for a Hitchcock film (The Lady Vanishes, The 39 Steps, Notorious and Rear Window are my favorites)
- and a Woody Allen film, probably Annie Hall or Manhattan
- also, The Passenger strikes a deep chord for me, but it probably wouldn't show up on many people's Top Tens

Edit: Then there's Charlie Chaplin movies.....Very difficult task

CelluloidChild I have to agree. It was very tough to make my top ten. Now certain movies I knew would be in my top ten like Taxi Driver, Red Dawn, Clerks and Clerks 2, The Book of Eli, Seven Samurai, and Rashomon. The others were elsewhere on my list at one point, but eventually the current top ten list is the strongest I have made and best reflects my personal tastes.

Yes, Gunslinger....Not to mention many movies that lots of people praise on this site which I haven't yet seen - Fanny and Alexander and The Mirror come to mind - so I'd be compelled to watch those too.

Yes, Gunslinger....Not to mention many movies that lots of people praise on this site which I haven't yet seen - Fanny and Alexander and The Mirror come to mind - so I'd be compelled to watch those too.
Yeah I am taking the Tarkovsky plunge tonight with Ivan's Childhood. This will then lead to me watching Solaris, Stalker and Andrei Rublev. Solaris and Andrei Rublev I can watch on Hulu

From experience, I'd say the top 10 is pretty simple. It's placing the following 90 that's the problem.

It depends on the methodology. If ranking plays a major role, then love-them-or-hate-them films, or films with a small but very fervent following, will do fairly well. If it's more about breadth of popularity (not particularly weighted by the order of the submitted lists), then you'll get a fairly different outcome.
True. Movies like Psycho and The Godfather, which everybody likes, tend to be the most popular. Psycho doesn't show up in many top 10 lists as it shows up in nearly every top 100 list on the site.

Movies that show up the most among the top 10's of the members, since the bulk of the points in these top 100 polls is contained into the first 10 movies we can actually get a good idea of how the poll would look from it. Though many users are old users now inactive.

Pulp Fiction - 225 times
The Godfather - 170 times
The Shawshank Redemption - 148 times
Goodfellas - 140 times
A Clockwork Orange - 81 times
Taxi Driver - 78 times
Gladiator - 72 times
Forrest Gump - 61 times
Blade Runner - 61 times
Psycho - 61 times
Diehard - 60 times
Jaws - 55 times
The Big Lebowski - 54 times
Back to the Future - 54 times
Apocalypse Now - 54 times
Braveheart - 51 times
Rocky - 48 times
Casablanca - 47 times
Raiders of the Lost Ark - 45 times
2001 - 42 times
The Silence of the Lambs - 38 times
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - 37 times

All movies are English language films.

Star Wars and Lord of the Rings show up in many top 10s under several different names or grouped together or separately but they are comparable to the top 4 on that list in terms of popularity.

Maybe the only way to find out, Hitch, is to start a Mofo 100.
I just might over the summer. Way too busy right now, but it would be a ton of fun.

I've been working on a revised Top 50 list myself (I think it'll be the third edition that I post on this site) and I might start doing it in a week or two. I'm really psyched to see what you guys think of it, it's a pretty radical change from the last two versions.