Future Classics

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Maybe. For reasons that aren't completely comprehensible to me, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is currently being given the whole midnight-movie treatment all over the world - this is a more that's barely a year old and doesn't even give off that much of a "midnight movie" vibe the way that something like The Room does. It may just take off, but it just doesn't seem right.

Insert something remotely witty here.
For the record, Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World is in my top 20 personal favorite movies ever. (I'll accept your harsh, unnecessary criticism, now).

definitely LOTR Trilogy.I'm also thinking The Dark Knight,There Will be Blood or maybe Drive?

Finished here. It's been fun.
Out of 2000-2013, quite a few I think will become classics.
+Drive-amazing style,great soundtrack,great film overall
+There will be blood
+No Country For Old Men
+Children of Men
+LoTR trilogy
+The Place Beyond the Pines
+Sin City
Again there's so many great films, I'm not quite sure what will become like a classic,classic remembered for hundreds of years in the future.

There Will Be Blood
- for its ambition, it's a big film focussed on multiple decades and following one main, powerful central character, helped by the fact that Day-Lewis is widely recognised as one of, if not, the greatest living actors today. Has all the ingredients, great performances, an interesting plot, a great score, beautiful cinematography, and human issues that are similar to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Inglourious Basterds - For me this is the second best Tarantino film out there, and whilst some dislike what they consider a good in parts but messy overall film, I think it's a highly entertaining piece of work that at the moment people will not praise too much because of its delicate war setting. However, once people realise Tarantino uses the war, and nazis, merely as a setting and not in an effort to moralise or for commentary, then I think people will begin to realise that this is a fantastic and very fun movie.

Miller's Crossing - Whilst it seems to get a lot of love around here, this is a film that seems to have been generally under appreciated by critics upon release and doesn't hold as great an IMDB rating as some of the Coen Brothers' other works. Hopefully this love and realisation that this is a fantastic film will continue as the 21st centuries go on, and when the Coen Brothers finish making films people will look back and recognise this film as one of the best, and even one of the best in the crime/gangster genre.

WALL-E - Perhaps a more obvious choice, but in terms of animation, if you look at American animations this is the film I look at and see both a great film for audiences and directors, it's a work of art that managed to end up on the last S&S critics poll. A fantastic look at humans, relationships and much more, it's got very loveable characters, great design and is fantastic in its first part with little dialogue first. Up might be most people's favourite, but as a whole I don't think it's as strong as this and will hold up as well.

Winter's Bone
The Assassination of Jesse James
The Squid and the Whale
Shotgun Stories
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Frailty
Michael Clayton
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Finished here. It's been fun.
Oh definitely Mulholland Drive. I think that film could stand the test of time honestly. Nothing like it out there. Some more potential classics:
The Fall
The Pianist
Pan's Labyrinth
Oldboy
The Road
City of God
Requiem For A Dream
A History of Violence

I'm surprised that there was no mention of BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN here...I think that film is definitely a future classic. There does seem to be a lot of love for THERE WILL BE BLOOD here and as good a film as it might be, I really don't see it being a classic. The film is definitely an acquired taste. I would agree that NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, THE DEPARTED, and ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND will reach classic status. I also agree regarding REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, but again, an acquired taste.

Gladiator and Pirates of the Caribbean? I doubt it, I like the first more than the other, but I think both films are too 'cartoony' to ever be considered classics, sorry. I think Nolan's Batman trilogy will suffer from a similar problem, right now we (well, the movie industry) seem to be going through a comic book craze, in 50 years time will people care about them as much?

The Lord of the Rings though, yes, probably in the same way of Star Wars and Indiana Jones, well, I hope

I think Daniel's point was, atm, comicbook movies are en vogue and that future audiences may not be so enamoured with them. They're the current action movies.

Gladiator may become a classic, but it'll have **** all to do with people liking ancient Rome. People have been interested in the Classics for ages, but I can't think of a classic 'Roman' film. Cleopatra? No. Spartacus? Maybe. But I think if it hadn't been directed by Kubrick it might not be held in such high esteem and people would be far more likely to throw stones.

Of those you mentioned, LotR is the only one I can seriously see becoming classics and that has as much to do with it being 'the new Star Wars/childhood favourite' as anything else.

Gladiator may become a classic, but it'll have **** all to do with people liking ancient Rome. People have been interested in the Classics for ages, but I can't think of a classic 'Roman' film. Cleopatra? No. Spartacus? Maybe. But I think if it hadn't been directed by Kubrick it might not be held in such high esteem and people would be far more likely to throw stones.
Ben Hur?

Although I'm not the biggest fan of the LOTR series, they are still exceptionally well made and they are sure to become classics in the future!

Here are a few of my personal predictions (from what I've seen) and some explanation, starting from the year 2000:

In the Mood For Love (2000)

It already appeared very high on the latest Sight & Sound list and if it is able to hold that position, I can see it becoming one of those Asian classics that will become obligatory knowledge to cinephiles and people in film business because of its exceptional craft.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

The Coen brothers will go down in film history, that's for sure. I think this film is one of their best and certainly one of their most charming and appealing to wider audiences, while still holding a very good reputation with cinephiles.
It also stars George Clooney, who will be remembered as one of the biggest stars of our times, and I wouldn't be surprised if his character in this film will become known as one of his signature performances.
This film is also a tribute to one of the oldest pieces of literature of our culture and will in all probability be mentioned in history classes in the future!

Spirited Away (2001)

Well, this is pretty much a classic already, isn't it?

There Will Be Blood (2007)

Daniel_M already gave some argumentation and I just want to add that this will probably be remembered as one of PTA's masterpieces, which will be enough to be considered a classic, as Paul Thomas Anderson will most certainly go down in history as one of the greatest, IF he makes another 10 movies in his life with the same passion, skill and commitment as he's doing now.

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Again, Daniel_M already gave some argumentation and again, Tarantino will probably go down in history and this will be considered as one of his best, etc.
It's also highly original and it has a controversial ending that will keep people talking for ages to come.

Next to these, I also think some of the Pixar films from the 2000s will remain animated classics like a lot of 2D animated Disney films did. Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Wall-E and of course Toy Story 3 (as part of the trilogy and maybe even as the best of the three) have the biggest chances to remain huge classics, I think.

The one that always comes to mind for me when I think future classic is Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris. It's one of the most charming films made in years, with an ellegant cast, and classy comedy.

I believe the Kings Speech has all the makings of a classic, because while it may look like Oscar Bait, it really is a phenomenal experience, with a shattering ending, and great acting. I don't love it as much as I did when I first saw it, but it still is a big part of me.

Some others that come to mind:
Moonrise Kingdom
Frost/Nixon
Gran Torino
Cache