Meatwadsprite's Slow Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I haven't seen it yet , do you recommend it ?
If he doesn't I do

There Will Be Blood (1 viewing)

Plot : A selfish man's thirst for competition and challenge has bad results on the people around him.

Story : The film starts off with Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day Lewis) acquiring various oil locations and getting the work done in the most efficient way possible. He takes his son with him on his dealings and adventures and tries to raise him with all of his wisdom. As you start to learn more about Daniel and his position in life - you become more connected with him up until one point of the film which is extremely emotional and complex. Then Daniel slips away from you and then the film loses a lot of it's emotion.

In most cases of a movie , when I don't care about the characters anymore it becomes a crappy movie - but in this case , it's just a great way of telling this unique story. Ultimately what I see in this movie is Daniel setting up his competition and trying to beat it. He has no other motive or happiness in life aside from beating his competitors and eventually he crafts his best match ever : his own son. Even though the movie tries to throw you off with other characters , in the end it's Daniel who is the hero of this movie.

Visuals : Paul Thomas Anderson always brings great visuals to the screen and this is no exception. It's a lot different from the fast paced fury of Magnolia , but it delivers a ton of emotion and entertains vastly.

Synopsis : Emotions fly high , people are beaten , and altogether it's a movie of the struggles of a highly competitive man.

Meatwadsprite's Best Films of 2007 Awards !
-----------------------------
2007 has been one of , if not , best years for films. There has been a huge number of releases from big name directors and a couple of amazing debuts from new ones. These awards will cover the huge amount of films that have come out last year.

Funniest Film - Hot Fuzz

With Shaun of the Dead being a hard act to follow in terms of hillarity. This film is actually funnier than Shaun and has much more subtle humor as well.

Runner Ups : Superbad , Knocked Up , Grindhouse , Aqua Teen , King of Kong

Best Actor/Actress - Seth Rogen

Seth Rogen starred in TWO amazing films this year. Hillarious and convincing as a lazy drugged out guy with no job in Knocked Up. Then one of the funniest characters ever as rule breakin cop in Superbad.

Runner Ups : Simon Pegg and Nick Frost in Hot Fuzz , Ellen Page in Juno

Best Licensed Soundtrack - Southland Tales

Wave of Mutliation , Forget Myself , All These Things That I've Done , and Tender make this one of the best compilations of great songs to date.

Runner Ups : Superbad , Hot Fuzz

Best Original Soundtrack - There Will Be Blood

The original score for this movie is a huge portion of the film. In the way that 2001 takes such credit for it's music - this film does the same (while being amazing).

Runner Ups : Hot Fuzz , Sweeney Todd

Best CGI - Ratatouille

For a fully 3D film , Pixar once again is at the pinnacle of animation. Beautifully lit resturant setting and amazingly fluid characters.

Runner Ups : 300 , Spiderman 3 , Grindhouse , Transformers

Best Visuals - Hot Fuzz

Super fast paced and extreamly exciting - Edgar Wright tops his previous work which was already some of the best. Lighting has never been done so flawlessly in a film before this.

Runner Ups : Southland Tales , 300 , No Country for Old Men , American Gangster , Ratatouille

Best Adaptation/Remake - There Will Be Blood

I have not read the original book "Oil" , but this film was downright amazing. Like many great films based on books - this is very original.

Runner Ups : 300 , Sweeney Todd

Film of the Year - Hot Fuzz

Not only is this my favorite film this year , it's currently my favorite film period. I love everything about this movie , the incredibly fast pace , hillarious story/acting , and the mind blowing action scenes only make the already visually stunning film a masterpiece.

Runner Ups : There Will Be Blood , Sweeney Todd , American Gangster , Ratatouille

Hope you enjoyed reading my first movieforums anuall awards. I will keep reviewing tons of films into 2008 and beyond.

2007 Film in Review (all reviewed in this thread)
-------------------
Hot Fuzz

There Will Be Blood

Sweeney Todd

Spiderman 3

Southland Tales

Superbad

Ratatouille

American Gangster

Grindhouse

King of Kong : Fistfull of Quarters

Knocked Up

Blade Runner : Final Cut

Zodiac

Darjeeling Limited

Aqua Teen Movie

Rush Hour 3

Juno

Black Snake Moan

Hairspray

Death Proof - Solo Cut

Planet Terror - Solo Cut

The Hoax

I Am Legend

The Simpsons Movie

No Country for Old Men

Transformers

Meet the Robinsons

Evan Almighty

Cloverfield (1 viewing)

Plot : Rob is going away to his new job in Japan , but not before his big surprise party. Though what seems in certain motion is thrown off when a monster attacks New York.

Story : I've been following this since it's debut trailer before Transformers. It has been an amazingly played marketing trail leading up to this movie and this movie lives up to it's massive hype in some ways over others. Your introduced to the characters and the handy-cam style of filming with a big party. Though the film starts to dig into it's characters a little they aren't very fleshed out at the end. The story is also something that seems to be lacking content - all the marketing of the movie never actually comes into play at all. The monster is never explained and there aren't any hints to how it come about. Overall it relies heavily on it's premise of being filmed by a character and succeeds as being the best monster movie ever.

Visuals : A mixture of amazing CGI landscapes and incredibly realistic handy-cam filming technique. The camera that films the movie is as much a part of the movie as it's monster. As for the monster , it is briefly seen throughout and never fully exposed. This could have been a horrible experiment but instead it turned out to be one of the most visually breathtaking films ever.

WARNING: "Ending" spoilers below
Ending : I didn't mind that all the characters died at the end , but the part where the monster kills the cameraman (Rob's best friend). Was so out of place and didn't make sense at all. The monster should have had a huge military attack on it by then or have been dead. It sucks out the feeling that the monster was an incredible force that was just running around destroying stuff.

Synopsis : Though lacking in content and character - it's a monster/disaster situation pulled off to it's full potential.

responding to your spoiler: and I don't appreciate your -rep to this post because there was an error, that I didn't mean to do
WARNING: "Cloverfield" spoilers below

Ok remember those guys with guns? they are called the military; and remember when Marlena exploded? They were taken into the hall? and they said a big attack was planned for 6:00; plus that is what "killed" rob and Beth, plus I think Lily came out of it ok

Also may I ask, what content was it missing?

After the marketing with all these clues and hints , I thought there would be tons of stuff to explore and debate throughout the movie.
Oh no! Those fake websites, all lies!!!

not really, actually there were subtle hints to most as presented in I think it was Sir Toose's post with his theory about the Chaui station, I forgot where it was.

Lost in never never land
Just in response to your spoiler

A plane like the B-5 (I believe) that was bombing it, would take miles to turn around and make a run back to NY City, so there would have been a gap between runs made by the military on it. Also, the military at that point in time was transitioning to more major destruction (I forget the code name for it) and had withdrawn all military personel out of NYC at that point in time.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

The plan was called
"Hammer-Down" I believe

So many good movies, so little time.
Wow that's pretty gay , i wrote an entire review : and there was an error so it got deleted.
?

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Wow that's pretty gay , i wrote an entire review : and there was an error so it got deleted.
from where? and please avoid that term, I don't like it.

A system of cells interlinked
Best Visuals - Hot Fuzz

Super fast paced and extreamly exciting - Edgar Wright tops his previous work which was already some of the best. Lighting has never been done so flawlessly in a film before this.

Oh...COME ON. Flawlessly? Like you even know what a rim light is. Oh, go ahead, look it up on google and then reply. After that, Go get even a piece of a clue about lighting sets...Meanwhile, you rag on stuff like Million Dollar Baby, which actually did have exceptional lighting. I mean, is the above shot supposed to showcase this exquisite lighting? Just wondering, because the lighting is far from impressive in it. I could light that shot better than that. YOU could light it better, Meat...no, really...

I mean hell, you didn't like the lighting in Chinatown, and then you rave about Hot Fuzz...

Meanwhile, I watched Fuzz recently, and it was DAMN funny. Good stuff. I liked Shaun as well..

You may jealous to know i visited Sandford, or otherwise known as Wells, Somerset. Was really cool seeing all the sets from Hot Fuzz real life and shopping in Sommerfield lol.