The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Two great films here.

12 Angry Men was one of the first "older" films that I watched when I started getting into films, which I'm sure is an experience many on here share. It's a classic for a reason and has an accessible story that transcends any sort of time constraints and allows the story to be so powerful. I've seen it a handful of times now, including times when I got my mum and brother to watch it (they also thought it was great) and on each viewing, I become more and more impressed by Lumet's direction. Each shot seems carefully considered and adds to the story, it feels like a master in control. It wasn't on my list but it's a film I have a lot of time for and one I think will continue to stand the test of time and continue to introduce future generations to great movies.

The Shining is probably my second favourite Kubrick film and one of my favourite horror films of all time. The more I've watched it the more I've realised that it definitely is very sulf-indulgent and sometimes ridiculous, but I don't think these are bad things. Jack Nicholson is superb but what really makes the film so effective to me is the way that Kubrick captures the space of the characters. In every scene, the movements of the camera add to the eeriness of the story, and really help you feel the insanity of the characters trapped at the Overlook Hotel. It didn't make my list either but I'm very happy to see it.

80/80 seen.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Fun Fact

With 183 points each, this is the last tie on the countdown. Almost half the countdown (44 films) shared a point total with at least one another, but from here on out each film claims its spot without the help of any tiebreaker.

Also, 12 Angry Men was on exactly 12 ballots.
Including on yours!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I didn't vote for either, however here are some thoughts.

12 Angry Men (Sidney Lumet, 1957)

The other jurors want Juror #3 to convince them...

I'm trying to think back to when I first watched the film and how I may have reacted. I was a teenager, but that would have been the early '70s. It was probably my introduction to how a jury might work, especially one where almost everybody sees the case as cut-and-dried. Of course, I understood it was a melodrama where everyone slightly exaggerates their words and acting for dramatic effect. It's still filmed "realistically", so it gets to have it both ways as a realistic drama and a highly-theatrical experience.

The real key to 12 Angry Men's success is Reginald Rose's tightly-wound script, which provides all the jurors [who seem to be heading, shall we say, due west] with flaws and personalities and then as it slowly reveals all of the people we've never seen in the film (those mentioned or testifying during the trial), the semblance of doubt begins to take root in more than just one juror's mind. The path seems to shift ever so subtly until near the end, the jury appears to be heading due west. It's all left to the viewer to decide how they would vote and how they may change their opinion based on the pieces of evidence being examined throughout the film. As far as I'm concerned, the strongest scene in the film the first time I watched it remains the most memorable one to me still: the scene where Juror #8 produces the knife. Besides being the centerpiece of the script, it's also Sidney Lumet's best-directed scene.
The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)

Inspired by The Phantom Carriage

To tell you the truth, I never understand why people think that The Shining is so good. I do believe that it's a good film, but when the word "best" raises its head, I become incredulous. My brother and I drove an hour to Hollywood to get in a line for another hour and watch a sneak preview of The Shining. The opening credits almost made us giddy, and there were many other impressive scenes. However, since we both loved the novel, we knew that many of the highlights were changed around and that Nicholson gave one of his earliest "over-the-top" performances. People were laughing when something ominous was happening and it cut to 4:05 PM. It's just too long in my opinion and doesn't really have to be, but Kubrick has a way of making long movies sometimes. Therefore, we were both disappointed. Kubrick eventually cut about three minutes, mostly at the end (which didn't really seem to be nearly as important as things like how Scatman Crothers has the "shining" and knows that something bad will happen, yet he has no idea it will happen to him!! Now I can accept it for the pleasures found along the way [mostly visual but some good audio/music too], and I can forgive Nicholson because he's so funny

12 Angry Men is a classic and rightly so, actually expected this to be a little higher.

I'm not a massive fan of The Shining tbh, it's decent and Nicholson is superb later in the film but for me it needed a more disparate performance as I never really feel like he's sane to begin with.

Seen: 70/80 (Own: 35/80)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
20. Letyat zhuravli (1957)
19. Der Untergang (2004)

Most of the clues speak for themselves this time ("overlook," "hatchet men," "hedge your bets," "court," "judge"). Some more tucked-away ones are "sic" (that weird dog thing from The Shining) and the references to temperature ("when things get heated," "keep cool"), since it's freezing in The Shining and sweltering in the jury room in 12 Angry Men.

12 Angry Men is great, even if I didn't love it on second watch as much as I did the first. One of the great scripts. Definitely be checking it out again in the future.

The Shing has grown on me in my 3 or 4 viewings. Nicholson is one of my favorites and he really shines here . I used to not care about the rest of the film outside his performance. Last time I watched it was much more effective for me. I still think he's the key, but it's a very good film.

I love 12 Angry Men, but it missed my Top 25. Had it at #94 in that stupid Top 100 I made, but it could've been higher. It's a really great film. I remember seeing the TV remake back in the 90s, when I didn't know much about film and didn't even know about the original, and thinking it was good. But as good as the remake is, the original is just better. Here's something I wrote years ago.

As for The Shining, I like it a lot, but I'm not that enamoured with it as others. It doesn't even crack my Kubrick Top 5, not to mention my Top 25 here. That said, I do think it's pretty good, extremely well made, and a fun watch, especially thanks to Nicholson's crazy performance. I love the atmosphere it builds. I've seen it several times, but in 2019, I had the chance to see it in theaters and it looked great. It was a great experience.

12 Angry Men was #1 on the MoFo '50s List while The Shining topped both the MoFo '80s and the MoFo Horror Lists. Both titles were absolutely expected to make this list, and both are rather lower than many would have guessed.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Welcome to the human race...
Ixnay on the otevay. 12 Angry Men is peak respectable classic and little more. The Shining is more my speed.

Let's keep adding to this...

My ratings so far:

HM: The Seventh Seal -

100. Brazil - Unseen
99. Suspiria -

98. Cabaret - Unseen
97. Enter the Dragon -

96. The Searchers - Unseen
95. Ikiru - Unseen
94. Her - Unseen
93. Braveheart -

92. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Rewatch due
91. Rosemary's Baby -

90. Harold and Maude -

89. E.T. the Extraterrestrial -

88. Akira -

87. Toy Story -

86. Dazed and Confused - Rewatch due
85. To Kill a Mockingbird -

84. The Apartment -

83. Saving Private Ryan -

82. 8 1/2 - Rewatch due
81. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid -

80. West Side Story - Rewatch due
79. American Beauty -

78. Star Wars -

77. Young Frankenstein - Unseen
76. Stand By Me -

75. Paris, Texas - Unseen
74. Magnolia - Rewatch due
73. Metropolis -

72. A Woman Under the Influence - Unseen
71. Terminator 2: Judgment Day -

70. Heat -

69. American History X - Rewatch due
68. Pan's Labyrinth -

67. Andrei Rublev - Unseen
66. Mulholland Drive -

65. Forrest Gump - Rewatch due
64. Singin' in the Rain -

63. Die Hard -

62. The Tree of Life -

61. City of God - Rewatch due
60. There Will Be Blood -

59. Rocky - Rewatch due
58. The Night of the Hunter - Rewatch due
57. North by Northwest -

56. The Terminator -

55. Gone with the Wind - Rewatch due
54. Come and See -

53. Sunset Boulevard -

52. Fight Club -

51. No Country for Old Men -

50. Amadeus -

49. Raging Bull - Rewatch due
48. The Third Man -

47. The Exorcist -

46. The Silence of the Lambs -

45. Persona -

44. Halloween -

43. Unforgiven -

42. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -

41. Schindler's List -
40. Rear Window -

39. Spirited Away -

38. It's a Wonderful Life - Rewatch due
37. Aliens -

36. The Wizard of Oz -

35. The Godfather, Part II -

34. Back to the Future -

33. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest -

32. Once Upon a Time in the West -

31. A Clockwork Orange -

30. The Empire Strikes Back -

29. Se7en -

28. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King -

27. Psycho -

26. Seven Samurai -

25. Stalker -

24. The Matrix -

23. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -

22. 12 Angry Men -

21. The Shining -

22. 12 Angry Men

21. The Shining

great films, neither in my list

Finally, a Lumet. Hopefully two more will show up. "12 Angry Men" is my second favorite of his. Brilliantly directed and written with some great performances. Watched this many times and never gets stale.

Sorry, only room for one Kubrick and "The Shining" ain't it. But it's my third favorite horror film, so there's that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Craptastic List:  

62/78 films seen

seems kubrick's so strong for mofos, if paths of glory also make it, as 2001 obviously
It'll be 2001 and apparently Dr. Strangelove. Though I wouldn't mind Paths of Glory making a surprise appearance

Fun Fact

With 183 points each, this is the last tie on the countdown. Almost half the countdown (44 films) shared a point total with at least one another, but from here on out each film claims its spot without the help of any tiebreaker.

Also, 12 Angry Men was on exactly 12 ballots.
What was the tiebreaker here?

It'll be 2001 and apparently Dr. Strangelove. Though I wouldn't mind Paths of Glory making a surprise appearance
oh god, i forget dr strangelove right there xD

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Killers Kiss to come as well!

Two great films, neither on my list, but certainly one in particular could have been.

That one is 12 Angry Men, the best "courtroom" drama ever made. Courtroom is in quotes because, of course, so much occurs in the jury room. Still, it qualifies for me. I love this movie. Riveting performances (Henry Fonda's best, or at least the best I've seen, in a stellar career), high drama, intrigue, so much emotion. Absolutely an amazing film. if I had not done my list at the last minute I might have thought to include it.

The Shining is terrific, of course, and it certainly deserves to be on this list, even if this seems high to me. It's probably my 4th favorite Kubrick film, though that says more about Kubrick than it. I didn't consider it only because there were so many choices. If I did a top 50 it might have made it. Top 100 definitely. In any case, it seems we will get at least 3, and possibly 4, Kubrick.

On that topic, ranking Kubrick films I've seen (one major omission I need to correct soon is Full Metal Jacket. I know.)

1) 2001, A Space Odyssey
2) Dr. Strangelove
3) Paths of Glory
4) The Shining
5) The Killing
6) Barry Lyndon
7) A Clockwork Orange
8) Lolita

The last 2 I saw a long time ago, so they might rate higher when I rewatch. I'm actually about to watch Spartacus so I may edit...

I love 12 Angry Men. Saw it for the first time in a Social Studies class in middle school.

I’m a big fan of Stephen King and horror and I appreciate Kubrick’s work but despite all that I don’t love The Shining as much as I should. I appreciate the technical aspects and the performances and it’s a damn fine film overall but surreal psychological horror just isn’t my bag baby.